Nelson Ledges repaving complete!!!

craig71188

For those who have not been following the Nelson Ledges story. The track was purchased a couple of years back and improvements have been (very) slowly happening (largely due to township and EPA red tape from what I was told). That said, many of the old buildings at the entrance were removed, many trees at Oak Tree corner and in the center of the Carousel have been removed and now a full repaving is complete (video link below).

What was once one of the fastest average speed tracks in the are will likely now be faster. Word on the ChumpCar racing forum is negotiations are already underway for LONG race next year

Drone video of track before repaving - but after tree removal:

Drone video of track repaved (some "stills" at beginning of each video):

I'm excited to see progress up there but their rates are on-par with top tracks in the region now and a fresh surface still doesn't make it a draw for groups to hold events there.

They need to work on restrooms, garages and put facilities in order to bring BMW club and Porsche club back which is where the money is at in my opinion.

$220 for a single day of lapping...I'm still going to Pitt race over Nelson.

If you see incar video from 2007 the track was pretty rough to say the least,the only way to smooth it out was to go fast ;)

Used to be stupid cheap at a hundred bucks too,tech and safety were pretty minimal,idiot incidents were rare but did happen,overall I second the comments here and look forward to going again.

Excellent news. Was anything done with the drainage issues that caused all the problems with the old surface?

I don't know what has been done (yet). I had a chance to talk with the "manager" last year at a an event and he mentioned they originally planned to take out tires walls and grind the tires and then use the rubber as part of the repave and the tire carcasses for drainage. The issue was the EPA could tell them how to dispose of the old tires, but not how to handle the carcasses as a drainage aid....

As the track is paved and the tires are still there....who knows.

I'm excited to see progress up there but their rates are on-par with top tracks in the region now and a fresh surface still doesn't make it a draw for groups to hold events there.

They need to work on restrooms, garages and put facilities in order to bring BMW club and Porsche club back which is where the money is at in my opinion.

$220 for a single day of lapping...I'm still going to Pitt race over Nelson.

Stand by...

The progress seems to be slow largely because of issues with the EPA & township (so I was told). The new owner is supposedly a Ferarri (dealer/collector/???) guy and wants to have offices and a place to store/show his collection. More seems to be coming...

• 2 weeks later...
The new owner is supposedly a Ferarri (dealer/collector/???) guy a

That would explain the sexy vintage ferrari 250? not sure there this weekend.

BEWARE! There are dangerous drop offs until whatever curbing or ? they're going to install gets in place.

Also, the surface this past weekend was brand new, and I have TONS of asphalt chip buildup on the barrels of my wheels, so heads up for you fancy pantsy forged racewheel guiz.

Pricing gets worse...

$10 gate fee per person, and $5 for number stickers, could not use tape.

I spent $245 for the single day event vs $380 for Norpca weekend at mid Ohio and $440 for Audi club weekend in July. Not a value...

Wow. Ten years I've been doing this, never seen this anywhere else.

Got to make that money back somewhere I guess. I'm going to go check it out once this year for Nostalgia but I echo the sentiments; they're pricing themselves out.

The $100 fun days were the shit.

This is the group that runs the DEs there, maybe if they get enough feedback it will drive cost down?

Yeah for $100 I'd almost not complain about the 130+ minute drive from cbus, $235 was a little steep and then they rolled our last session into the "open track" time so we had to fight more traffic.

http://www.ganarde.com/feedback-form.html

I once witnessed a Caterham roll and "jump" at NL. It literally sat on top of one of those 8-10 foot high tire walls. The driver was just sitting on top looking down like "well, that happened." I have no idea what they did to bring it down but that surely couldn't be done if you tried.

Very happy to see the pavement improvement, but they need to address the runoff areas and the down right dangerous tirewall ramps. Last time I drove there, every single car that made it to a tirewall ended up on top of it, over it, or rolled over because of it. Too many other options for safe tracks to consider Nelson until these other items are addressed. Hope it all happens!!!

i wasnt in a fast car by any means, but was on street tires, street brakes and modest suspension. I topped 105/110 in the straights and never once got in the grass on my first track day. I guess faster cars are trickier but i never felt unsafe all day.

Track is probably awesome and feels great. The issue comes when something you're not planning to happen happens. Drop a wheel or go wide and the day goes from great to shit. The overall safety (track, runoff, walls, safety crew, medic) should be considered when driving at any track. Love the track and hope the improvements continue!

TDrop a wheel or go wide and the day goes from great to shit.

Or a mechanical issue, really no amount of skill can help you there. I didn't take safety all that seriously until I had a brake failure and touched a wall. Ended up OK but it easily could have been bad, and part of the reason it ended up OK was because of a gravel trap and a well built tire wall.

so.. i know this is an older track .. and with putting in the effort to make it a better track.. why didn't they widen it at all?

I know it's not cheap to repave a track.. but if you're going to "update" it.. wouldn't safety be a priority too? I've never been, but Nathan said he wouldnt go back because of how skinny" the lanes are.

I honestly don't understand why tracks don't do what the japanese tracks do with giant foam blocks on the barriers. Ive seen cars smash into those at 50 ish mph and they just bounce back with just cosmetic damage.