2017 College Football Thread

o0n8

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good win, Alabama. Calls, or no calls I should say definitely went your way but hey! You still got the job done so congrats.

Watching the playoff games made me think Ohio State could have had a realistic shot to win this thing. The only real X factor would have been JT.

I like our chances next year. Who all are we losing? The names that come to mind...

Defense:

Denzel Ward - CB

Damon Webb - Safety

Jerome Baker - LB

Dante Booker - LB

Chris Worley - LB

Tyquan Lewis - DL

Tracy Sprinkle - DL

Sam Hubbard - DL

Offense:

JT Barrett - QB

Paris Campbell (maybe) - WR

Isaiah Prince (maybe) - OL

Billy Price - OL

Jamarco Jones - OL

Marcus Baugh - TE

Edited by BStowers023

Also think these players should have some sort of legal commitment to the universities. I think $1M/yr for ever year they bail early for The League sounds reasonable. Just about the time you start to put together a solid team, they jump ship. Like that bitch, Denzel Ward, for sitting out the bowl game.

The university helped put you in the spotlight, gave you a free education (which you're choosing to cut short); you should give the fans your best since they support you regardless.

Also think these players should have some sort of legal commitment to the universities. I think $1M/yr for ever year they bail early for The League sounds reasonable. Just about the time you start to put together a solid team, they jump ship. Like that bitch, Denzel Ward, for sitting out the bowl game.

The university helped put you in the spotlight, gave you a free education (which you're choosing to cut short); you should give the fans your best since they support you regardless.

You really think players should be fined $1M for leaving a school early that doesn't pay them anything? Lolwut

I'm sure they would have no problem with that once you pay them for the 10's and 100's of millions of dollars each uni is bringing in because of them.

I'm sure they would have no problem with that once you pay them for the 10's and 100's of millions of dollars each uni is bringing in because of them.

They know the deal they commit to. Don't like it, don't play. But I think their commitment, should actually be a commitment. The school and fans support you, and you should do the same for them. Jumping ship early for a chance at the Pros? That's fine, but I think you should be responsible for whatever years you didn't play that you committed to.

Yes, I realize there is no binding contract when a player commits, but I somewhat think there should be.

I've been preaching all season to bench jalen and put Tua in. He's the future of bama offense

I literally don't recall you saying that one time. Never heard you mention his name.

If they'd just bench Jalen's haircut, the whole damn offense would improve.

:lolguy:

Tua did look pretty good. All bull shit aside it was an entertaining Championship game and you can't discredit Saban he's clearly one of if not the best out there.

Still think we need to go to 8 team's (NEVER MORE) and get this over with.

I disagree. Not about Saban. I'll give him his credit where it's due. The game was dull for me though. I fell asleep and when my wife woke me up I went to bed. I THINK that was in the 3rd quarter. I googled the score when I awoke today.

This.

Make no mistake, major college football programs are a cash cow and these kids aren't even allowed to trade necklaces for tattoo's or something.

They know the deal they commit to. Don't like it, don't play. But I think their commitment, should actually be a commitment. The school and fans support you, and you should do the same for them. Jumping ship early for a chance at the Pros? That's fine, but I think you should be responsible for whatever years you didn't play that you committed to.

Yes, I realize there is no binding contract when a player commits, but I somewhat think there should be.

Imagine this: you're 19 years old. Your entire life you've lived either in the deepest poverty or at best with parents who struggled to make ends meet by living paycheck to paycheck. Maybe you had times where your family couldn't afford to have the heat on in the winter and you had to sit on the floor and watch an outdated TV under layers of blankets and clothes. You have a talent that lands you a deal at a major university. You still live off of team meals or ramen noodles. You do your best in your classes but with the standardized education you've had up to this point everything is confusing. You're not allowed to get paid for working 5-7 days a week. You do that for a few years and someone tells you that if you stop doing heavy labor for free you can have more money than literally anyone in your family has ever known. More than your folks have made in their entire lifetime combined. You will never have to worry about money ever again so long as you don't Manziel it up.

They're DUMB for leaving early? BS.

Imagine this: you're 19 years old. Your entire life you've lived either in the deepest poverty or at best with parents who struggled to make ends meet by living paycheck to paycheck. Maybe you had times where your family couldn't afford to have the heat on in the winter and you had to sit on the floor and watch an outdated TV under layers of blankets and clothes. You have a talent that lands you a deal at a major university. You still live off of team meals or ramen noodles. You do your best in your classes but with the standardized education you've had up to this point everything is confusing. You're not allowed to get paid for working 5-7 days a week. You do that for a few years and someone tells you that if you stop doing heavy labor for free you can have more money than literally anyone in your family has ever known. More than your folks have made in their entire lifetime combined. You will never have to worry about money ever again so long as you don't Manziel it up.

They're DUMB for leaving early? BS.

Never said they were dumb. But I still think a commitment should be a commitment. I realize the universities make bank off of them, and I wouldn't be opposed to them getting a bit of a cash incentive on top of their free education, housing, meals, and everything else they get.

Never said they were dumb. But I still think a commitment should be a commitment. I realize the universities make bank off of them, and I wouldn't be opposed to them getting a bit of a cash incentive on top of their free education, housing, meals, and everything else they get.

I understand your stance, but Tyson once said, "everyone has a plan until their hit in the face." I'm all for loyalty and standing by your word. That's one thing my dad and grandfather DRILLED into my thick skull as a kid. However, they never added an addendum for someone offering me MILLIONS for signing my name to play football for a professional team for a few years.

I can't blame these kids. I get your stance, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't blame them.

I can't blame these kids. I get your stance, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't blame them.

Nor do I. If someone offered me millions if I could do what they do, I'd jump at it. But I think there should be some sort of 'encouragement' to stay another year or two to finish what you started. It might make them think a little harder (or maybe not...) about sticking it out. Plus, if their pro career is a bust, I'm sure society wouldn't mind them having a college degree to fall back on.

So what you're saying is, they're not that great. I agree.

I do agree with you that Jalen is no pocket passer. He's never gonna make it as an NFL QB.

They need to put Tua in if they want a pocket passer. Much like OSU and Jt/Haskins saga

This was back in beginning. Also have called him marioatra 2.0

Asking players to pay millions for leaving early LOL. It's called a hardship waiver for a reason. Plus they still make money off their image etc. from when they played.

Will the University accepting a transfer have to pay a transfer fee to?

Over-singing, if you don't make the cut you're out one way or another.

You're injured with something that will affect you for the rest of your life, hope you find a job with good insurance.

You're actual choice of study is limited due to practice/team meetings.

The universities aren't very committed to these young men. Why should they be?

Until the university puts the free education they give first and stay committed to the Student-athlete I have absolutely no issue with anyone leaving early or sitting out a meaningless bowl game so they don't get injured and hurt their draft stock.

When you sign your employee paperwork to work for a company, you're committed there as long as you or they wish to move separate ways (unless you're in the military). The players are choosing to play for said school for said education and a chance to play in the NFL. They're trading a service for a service, just like work but in this case I think everyone can agree the player is getting the shit end of the stick.

I think the free education thing is awesome, for some. Some of these kids have really no chance at getting a degree worth a damn and if they're talented enough, why shouldn't they be able to go pro whenever they feel like it? I mean that is going to be their profession. What about the people who drop out of school to start their own business, should they not be allowed because they didn't finish their "formal education?" Mark Zuckerburg for example. He didn't need a degree to become successful. I think the NCAA has sold false hopes and dreams to mostly poor, under educated young men in this country so that they and the University can make bank. It's quite disgusting actually. You should side with the players on this one, but I'll let you decide.

If a player is basically getting a free ride just to play football, then they are getting an absolute fuck ton of "money". Especially at some of the bigger schools. Sure the education is pretty priceless sometime, but they have to actually give a damn and not float though with a 2.0 for that benefit.

Whatever degree they are getting to 'fall back on' if they were to achieve it, likely isn't a degree you really want to fall back on lol. Not compared to the NFL money.

So while the education and college is a potentially amazing gift, I don't blame any student athlete for just dropping the mic and going pro. Don't want to miss the boat.

I think getting free room and meals plus scholarship money per month plus education is plenty. Don't they also get medical from the college? That'd well over $100k for Four years learning your craft.

What time do they have to learn? Unless you're talking about football.

So you're telling a kid to be content with food, shelter and an education in which will probably have to be in something that you won't be able to use after you graduate, if you graduate unless you're extremely intelligent to begin with.

I'm not saying pay players, but players should be allowed to use their "likeness" to make money if they want. It's a complete joke the NCAA won't "allow" players to make money for literally just being themselves. For example, Braxton Miller wasn't allowed to sell Advocare or whatever because of his "likeness." It's okay though, here's some food and a dorm and don't be late for class! God forbid you don't get that liberal arts degree. I just don't see what it's hurting allowing a player to sell his memorabilia that he EARNED or sell his name for profit. Makes no sense.

You have to remember not every guy on the roster is going g to make it to the NFL. Some of these guys at graduation already know that and use the education for various degrees. My brother in law is a director and professor at university of Alabama. He teaches a lot of football players and it isn't a bullshit degree by any means

Ohio State paying Alex Grinch $800k per year. Previous highest paid assistant was Fickell at $750k

And with the new tax laws the university is going to be payings around 2.5-3 million more in payroll taxes for the football staff alone.