GMT800 - what to look out for?

zeitgeist57

A friend of mine has a 2001 Silverado 1500 regular cab/long bed that he's looking to sell to me for pretty cheap, as he got it for free from his father. It's got the 4.3L Vortec V6, RWD, automatic tranny, and only has 74,000 miles. AC works, which is one of the reasons why i'm interested in the truck. It's an old fleet vehicle, so it's a little scuffy on the outside, but everything works. Rusty rear bumper, and some body rust (rockers) that needs to be addressed.

Anything to look out for on these '99 to 2006 Chevy/GMC pickups? This would just be for commuting, and suburban yard waste hauling. I can't leave anything stock, so in addition to updated maintenance, I'd do a 4/6 drop and some bigger used wheels/tires.

This one is actually really solid (just looked at it yesterday). Owner wants to keep it through the holidays but then we're going to take it to Carmax to see what their offer is. Hoping it's a low one so I can beat it. :D

Only rust is still surface over much of the truck. Rockers are just beginning to rust. Basically, if I can coat the underside it should hold off the spread of damage for awhile. It does have a drop-in bedliner that I would need to pull out to check on bed rust.

Rust. I have an '03 that I absolutely love driving, no exterior rust and the bottom of the truck looks really clean, yet I still had a brake line blow out a couple weeks ago. The good news is that Summit sells a complete prebent stainless kit for them cheap, mine was $75. Between Summit and Rock Auto, I replaced all lines, calipers, pads and rotors for like $350 in parts. I noticed the fuel lines near the drivers door looked a little crusty where the plastic clips are, looked fine elsewhere. I'm gonna hit them with some POR15 and hope they're good to go.

60e is junk

Rusted everything like Cordell said.

Rockers rust, bed rusts.

4l60e depends on how you treat it. In a light truck like that he should be fine as long as it's maintained. I'm at 192,xxx on my 2002 Yukon XL and trans is all original except for tailgate seal, fluid, and trans filter. Still running strong and shifting clean.

However I wouldn't attempt any mods at my mileage that would bump power by much without having another trans (4L80e) ready to go.

Yes, every Ford/GM from the early '00s is prone to rust like crazy. I'm thankful this was a fleet vehicle that didn't have many miles on it and was taken care of well. Unfortunately, it's a V6 but at the price point I'm not going to complain that it's not a V8.

This one is actually really solid (just looked at it yesterday). Owner wants to keep it through the holidays but then we're going to take it to Carmax to see what their offer is. Hoping it's a low one so I can beat it. :D

Only rust is still surface over much of the truck. Rockers are just beginning to rust. Basically, if I can coat the underside it should hold off the spread of damage for awhile. It does have a drop-in bedliner that I would need to pull out to check on bed rust.

This should work to your advantage. CarMax won't offer jack for it I bet.

This should work to your advantage. CarMax won't offer jack for it I bet.

Agreed, I actually don't think Carmax will even make an offer due to the age of it. Pretty sure they don't buy anything older than 10 years old.

This same guy had an '03 Civic that we took to Carmax Sawmill. It had 140k miles and a bad brake shimmy, but it was a 1-owner EX 5-speed with cruise/AC and a sunroof. I offered him a grand but said "let's take it to Carmax to see what they'd offer". They gave him $1,500 for it. No H8 whatsoever.

My deal for this Silverado is $1400. If Carmax comes out higher, I may match it. The dude just doesn't like dealing with BS and wants the truck gone once his new car gets here.

This same guy had an '03 Civic that we took to Carmax Sawmill. It had 140k miles and a bad brake shimmy, but it was a 1-owner EX 5-speed with cruise/AC and a sunroof. I offered him a grand but said "let's take it to Carmax to see what they'd offer". They gave him $1,500 for it. No H8 whatsoever.

My deal for this Silverado is $1400. If Carmax comes out higher, I may match it. The dude just doesn't like dealing with BS and wants the truck gone once his new car gets here.

That's actually shocking they gave him $1500. Prob wrote it off trying to gain a customer.

That's actually shocking they gave him $1500. Prob wrote it off trying to gain a customer.

CarMax buys any *operational car. You don't need to be purchasing a car from them in order for them to purchase yours.

*fixed

Edited by TimTaylor75

They purchased any running vehicle when I worked there. Maybe things have changed since.
Even the "running" requirement is a fairly low bar. They bought a 260k mile 2003 Acura CL with a bad clutch, and a 200k mile 2003 Acura MDX with an oil leak from me within the past 1.5 years without issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk