All new 2019 RAM 1500

Mallard

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mallard, Is there a level of the truck that doesn't come with that massive screen? or are all RAM pickups moving toward the "tesla model" of everything on a center touch screen?

also am I reading this right?

The hybrid system is used in both the V6 and V8, as is an eight-speed automatic. It will be standard on the V6 but optional on the V8.

That system probably works like the Motor Generator Unit in the 2018 Wrangler, which FCA calls “eTorque,” which basically provides the truck with a boost by feeding power from a 48 volt battery to the powertrain through the engine’s drive belts.

The MGU is installed where an alternator would typically be, acting to both utilize the vehicle’s battery for propulsion and feed power back into it during regenerative braking.

They mean the accessory serpentine drive belts?!?!?! how is this not a recipe for snapped serpentine belts as the trucks age?

New fullsize trucks are kind of pointless to me. None have manual transmissions anymore, You can't really get "Big engines" and no options in the base models (not that you need them as ford's ecotec has proven), they aren't really good for offroad, they aren't good for car towing more than once or twice, and they are getting impossible to park.

Looks? the new RAM is handsome. I like it better than the ford or chevy but none of them are ugly. I wish they had more colors available than seven shades of silver, a black, a white, and the token blue or red.

I will say everyone I have ever known to have bought a dodge truck loved that dodge truck. I have never heard an actual owner say they regretted their purchase. Rust issues? toyota had way worse rust issues and I don't hear anybody here calling toyota owners "overextended 84 month finance holders".

I am more excited about the midsize trucks these days because they filled the niche that the old 1990's Chevy 1500s and Ford 150s used to fill really well. To that end I am kinda excited to see what ford is bringing to the party with the ranger. I feel kind of let down that Chevy didn't see fit to make a special edition ZR2 Colorado with a manual trans (considering both the Pro-4x and TRD Taco have it as an option), but there is hope for ford with the ranger and whatever special edition off-roader they will put at the top of the ranger options pyramid.

"look how responsive it is" press press press press

Wow it's getting warm in here, let me just browse through all these menus to turn down my heater a couple notches while going 70mph on the freeway.

shit's silly

There are many redundant controls for frequently accessed features. Climate control (temp/fan) buttons are on the drivers side of the screen towards the top. Also, the buttons at the bottom of the UConnect screen are completely configurable by the user. If you go into the apps menu you can drag and drop any button into the bottom bar so it's always immediately accessible. As far as I know, no other infotainment system allows you to do this.

1. That screen is fucking enormous.

2, Every time I see a Ram i think "cheapest (made) of the big three, rust".

3. The first photo i saw I instantly thought it looked like a Tundra.

1. Yes it is. It's essentially like having 2 of the standard screens when you split it into two. The nice thing about that is you can use Apple CarPlay/Android Auto while still having the rest of the vehicle menus available. Again, no other infotainment allows this to be possible.

2. Yea, I get it. RAM (or all of FCA brands) have a perception problem. This will only be improved over time and much effort to change people's minds. The Daimler years really hurt the reputation of the company and we will be paying for it for years to come. However, feel free to go sit in one of our products and the competitive offerings from Ford and GM. Most, if not all, of our newer products (2014+) exceed the competition in the quality of materials used on the interior. I sat in a $45k Silverado a few weeks ago and it was awful plastic everywhere. The new RAM is head and shoulders above the competition in this regard.

3. Check out the face of the new Ranger too.

Will get a ticket for texting and driving, but playing with a 12 inch screen is okay.

If the interface is clear, intuitive and offers the appropriate redundant hard buttons/controls then yes. IMO, where Tesla fails is they have no hard buttons for frequently accessed features. The RAM is not like that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Hey Mallard, Is there a level of the truck that doesn't come with that massive screen? or are all RAM pickups moving toward the "tesla model" of everything on a center touch screen?

also am I reading this right?

They mean the accessory serpentine drive belts?!?!?! how is this not a recipe for snapped serpentine belts as the trucks age?

New fullsize trucks are kind of pointless to me. None have manual transmissions anymore, You can't really get "Big engines" and no options in the base models (not that you need them as ford's ecotec has proven), they aren't really good for offroad, they aren't good for car towing more than once or twice, and they are getting impossible to park.

Looks? the new RAM is handsome. I like it better than the ford or chevy but none of them are ugly. I wish they had more colors available than seven shades of silver, a black, a white, and the token blue or red.

I will say everyone I have ever known to have bought a dodge truck loved that dodge truck. I have never heard an actual owner say they regretted their purchase. Rust issues? toyota had way worse rust issues and I don't hear anybody here calling toyota owners "overextended 84 month finance holders".

I am more excited about the midsize trucks these days because they filled the niche that the old 1990's Chevy 1500s and Ford 150s used to fill really well. To that end I am kinda excited to see what ford is bringing to the party with the ranger. I feel kind of let down that Chevy didn't see fit to make a special edition ZR2 Colorado with a manual trans (considering both the Pro-4x and TRD Taco have it as an option), but there is hope for ford with the ranger and whatever special edition off-roader they will put at the top of the ranger options pyramid.

Yes, there is a 7" and an 8.4" touch screen available. The 12" comes in the higher optioned models only (Limited, Longhorn, etc)

Yes the MGU (BSG-Belt Starter Generator) is on the serpentine belt. I'll try to find a pic, but there was a good video by TFL on YouTube that showed both the V6 and V8. This is how most are being done, AFAIK. Yesterday Mercedes launched their AMG models with BSG too.

RAM previously offered a stripper model (HEMI, standard cab, short bed, R/T), not sure what plans are for the new model, beyond the Tradesman.

Yes the MGU (BSG-Belt Starter Generator) is on the serpentine belt. I'll try to find a pic, but there was a good video by TFL on YouTube that showed both the V6 and V8. This is how most are being done, AFAIK. Yesterday Mercedes launched their AMG models with BSG too.

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it a good idea. I am not even sure how this works other than the electric motor just pulling the crank along via the serpentine belt. I get that engineers are way smarter than me on this and probably know what they are doing, but I don't know what it will take for me to get comfortable with this piece of tech.

RAM previously offered a stripper model (HEMI, standard cab, short bed, R/T), not sure what plans are for the new model, beyond the Tradesman.

Wasn't that the original intent of the "Express" and "Rebel" models when they first came out? 2wd, hemi, standard cab, short bed?

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it a good idea. I am not even sure how this works other than the electric motor just pulling the crank along via the serpentine belt. I get that engineers are way smarter than me on this and probably know what they are doing, but I don't know what it will take for me to get comfortable with this piece of tech.

Wasn't that the original intent of the "Express" and "Rebel" models when they first came out? 2wd, hemi, standard cab, short bed?

Rebel slots between a Z71 Chevy and a Ford Raptor. Not a stripper model by far. The Rebel has an electronic locking rear differential and remote reservoir Bilstein shocks.

You see FCA launching a lot of BSG's right now, as well as a few others (Bentley, Mercedes, Audi...) but most of the industry will follow. When you hear them say "electrified powertrains" this is what they are usually referring to. The MGU provides a torque assist (or torque fill as McLaren calls it) so the gas engine doesn't have to work as hard during transients. It also shifts the load point on the gas engine, with allows the V8 to stay in 4 cylinder mode longer.

Greatest thing RAM brought to the full-size pickup truck market in the last few years?

The sweet rear-bumper cutouts for the dual exhaust. Seriously, the way the opening is radiused with a rolled-bead contour? GENIUS. :lol:

Until you choke on it while hooking up a trailer, ill take my f150 side pipe.

I hear you, but I have faith in serpentine systems provided the BSG is pulling on the crank pulley first. If a 12-rib belt can turn a Magnuson supercharger (that displaces more than most 4-cylinder engines )to 20-30psi, I think everything is going to be fine. ;)

I hear you, but I have faith in serpentine systems provided the BSG is pulling on the crank pulley first. If a 12-rib belt can turn a Magnuson supercharger (that displaces more than most 4-cylinder engines )to 20-30psi, I think everything is going to be fine. ;)

they used to use gilmer belts for that job, so serpentine is more robust than most think - still, I hear plenty of cars on the road all the time with slipping belts, so it's mileage and service interval that concern me most - not whether it is up to the job when new.

Remember, Americans don't maintain their cars for the most part and hate spending money to do so. If you suddenly told them their "100K" belts now have a 20-30K service interval, how many are actually going to get that service?

Remember, Americans don't maintain their cars for the most part and hate spending money to do so. If you suddenly told them their "100K" belts now have a 20-30K service interval, how many are actually going to get that service?

If a snapped belt prevents the engine from starting, I have a feeling the aftermarket/automotive service industry will get very familiar with requiring belt servicing. It's one thing to have squealing belts that still get another 15-20k miles out of a '97 Impala...this seems different.

Cue $30 BSG serp-belt made in China for sale through RockAuto 5-10 years from now.

I’ve always been a Ram guy but that new body style just isn’t doing it for me. My 12V and common rail have been great trucks. Other than the AAM driveline on the 3rd gen.

I know this thread is mainly talking half tons but I think I might jump ship to the P558 SD’s since I’m assuming the 2500 will have the same exterior design. I’ll lose out on the Cummins, which I might regret, but have the best driveline on the market in a full sized pickup.

Mallard: You mentioned GM having an inferior plastic interior. What is RAM's interior comprised of, why is it more beneficial, and how much of the cost would I be paying for said better interior?
The price difference in trucks can be negligible these days, since it's such a competitive market, so I will put that issue to the side for now.

All interiors are comprised of various plastics, leather, faux leather, and fabric. Would you say that all vehicles have identical interior quality? Of course not. Through the late 2000's Chrysler was ridiculed for the quality of their interiors (for good reason). But they did a comparison with other automakers and found no difference in the materials being used or their quality, but in their shape and where they used. Now FCA puts more money into the interior, but they have also changed where and how they use different plastics.

I say all this because I don't think GM learned the same lessons. The RAM interior has (or can have) lots of soft touch materials. The Silverado I sat in reminded me of a 2007 Dodge Caliber. There were very few soft touch surfaces. Also, they placed the cut lines in poor places. For example, the door handle is made of two different pieces of plastic snapped together. There was mold flashing around the sieges of each piece and the seam was on the back side where my hand has to pull. It created a sharp edge on my hand that I would have to touch multiple times a day. Poor design choice.

Here is an example of two interiors. One is the new RAM Rebel, the other is the current Silverado Z71. Do you honestly find these to be equal? I accept that design can be subjective but IMO this goes beyond that once you're actually sitting in it and touch it. I have not seen the new Silverado interior to see if it improved.

Also, do you drive a Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Escalade/etc? Does it bother you that the steering wheel is offset from the driver seat? Bugs the hell out of me.

And BTW, I didn't ignore your post above but I didn't want to type it all out on my phone. I'll get back to it when I'm on a computer.f7ad876bf51880a60966fafe7cf7efb7.jpg65c138708b5166c12c6271305cf5f840.jpg

Idgas about the hate honestly. My old work truck was a ram and if I had to buy now, a ram would be at the top of my list. That truck was severely abused and gave me over 200k nearly trouble free miles aside from routine maintenance and a couple minor recalls.

The price difference in trucks can be negligible these days, since it's such a competitive market, so I will put that issue to the side for now.

All interiors are comprised of various plastics, leather, faux leather, and fabric. Would you say that all vehicles have identical interior quality? Of course not. Through the late 2000's Chrysler was ridiculed for the quality of their interiors (for good reason). But they did a comparison with other automakers and found no difference in the materials being used or their quality, but in their shape and where they used. Now FCA puts more money into the interior, but they have also changed where and how they use different plastics.

I say all this because I don't think GM learned the same lessons. The RAM interior has (or can have) lots of soft touch materials. The Silverado I sat in reminded me of a 2007 Dodge Caliber. There were very few soft touch surfaces. Also, they placed the cut lines in poor places. For example, the door handle is made of two different pieces of plastic snapped together. There was mold flashing around the sieges of each piece and the seam was on the back side where my hand has to pull. It created a sharp edge on my hand that I would have to touch multiple times a day. Poor design choice.

Here is an example of two interiors. One is the new RAM Rebel, the other is the current Silverado Z71. Do you honestly find these to be equal? I accept that design can be subjective but IMO this goes beyond that once you're actually sitting in it and touch it. I have not seen the new Silverado interior to see if it improved.

Also, do you drive a Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Escalade/etc? Does it bother you that the steering wheel is offset from the driver seat? Bugs the hell out of me.

And BTW, I didn't ignore your post above but I didn't want to type it all out on my phone. I'll get back to it when I'm on a computer.f7ad876bf51880a60966fafe7cf7efb7.jpg65c138708b5166c12c6271305cf5f840.jpg

d7b84ef260e2e5e81a6ca73a2511be89.jpg

2019 for apples to apples - visually it is a toss up to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro