New YouTube Channel

99StockGT

That actually popped up on my feed!

You really need a better mic and can you get a longer camera mount so I'm not seeing your forearm the whole time you're talking?

Will be upgrading the camera/mic setup very shortly as long as people actually watch the content :) Also, you bitching about my sexy manly forearms?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are known by MANY names ;)

Other than all my manliness and the camera quality is at least semi engaging? Trying to keep as much legitimate step by step process in the videos but not make it TOO dry or 3 hours long per episode.

Other than all my manliness and the camera quality is at least semi engaging? Trying to keep as much legitimate step by step process in the videos but not make it TOO dry or 3 hours long per episode.

I subscribed and have watched. Not too bad. Can tell it's still "new" but all of that changes with time/experience.

PS - the IS300 is one of my all time fav cars and I dunno why.

Can you add another static camera to catch up close work on the vehicles? Overlay 3-5 second snippets of that wrench action while you’re talking...like if you’re saying how you fixed the brakes, add video of the wheel off and you’re mounting a caliper or something WHILE the dialogue is still going on. Does that make sense?

You’re dialogue is good, but you need to do some more cutting to action shots of you (or someone) working. I know it’s easy to use the video to “recap” what you’ve done so far to a project but that’s boring unless you bring the viewer some bits of wrenching.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the feedback, I'll get more action shots worked into the next couple episodes. The engine breakdown is completed and the cleaning / machining process has begun, so this next bit will show some behind the scenes of what a A+ grade machine shop/engine builder does.

• 4 months later...

-I couldn’t hear the exhaust when you flipped the switch.

-It would be easier to hear the difference if there were before/after videos back-to-back.

-the video is pretty much static angle of you talking. No offense, but where is ANYTHING of you working on the exhaust?

-tough to hear with the cam mic...maybe look at getting a lavalier microphone?

Love you, Austin...that’s why I’m being critical :)

-I couldn’t hear the exhaust when you flipped the switch.

-It would be easier to hear the difference if there were before/after videos back-to-back.

-the video is pretty much static angle of you talking. No offense, but where is ANYTHING of you working on the exhaust?

-tough to hear with the cam mic...maybe look at getting a lavalier microphone?

Love you, Austin...that’s why I’m being critical :)

Feedback is what I'm hoping for so thank you. :)

I am actually cutting together a video of the process to build the exhaust so people can see how its done. That also includes a behind the car exhaust clip. We HAVE a better mic set up on this camera however I think we had it in low volume mode, I'll double check that next time before filming :)

Soooo much photo and video work to catch up with but here's another little video we tossed together. Ahead of time, the audio on the mic was set improperly so some of it is quieter and more muffled than it should be. This whole process is a work in progress!

Man. After subscribing and watching all of your vids I'm finally gonna leave some opinionated feedback.

I'm friends with both Buck and BZ who have used your services. I've talked with each of them. They've helped me work on EllIIot/CleetusIV.

From skipping through your first vids and feeling underwhelmed to watching this Buick fueled vid I would personally say you're REALLY starting to hit your stride. The shots are better, the editing is better, and the commentary is better. I learned a little bit about the old Buick's and what y'all do/have done that I didn't know.

I came for BZ's wagon (which I desperately want) and stayed for the commentary. That's CLUTCH. I, like most others, don't give MOST YT vids/podcasts/whatever the time of day if they can't engage. You're getting better.

Keep it up. I'm sub'd on YT and look forward to more vids.

Also, BZ....gimme dat wagon. Trade?

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it from both of you. Getting honest opinions is what will help me improve these and hopefully make them more engaging as we go forward.

Production wise, this started out as kind of a little side project with a couple cheap Chinese GoPro knockoffs and has now progressed to a DSLR, various microphones and mounts, an entirely new editing computer and software.. So hopefully the improvements are helping the engagement. I realize the timelapse stuff is dull but I want to show behind the scenes of actually processes not stick the pie in one oven pull it out of the other and Presto we have pie!

There are a few projects right now in the works that will be getting similar treatment to the Buicks, the one most likely to come out next is a duo video of the '69 Chevelle and the '02 IS300 however I'm battling length. Most people won't stay around for a full 15 minute video, much less 20 minutes where that one currently is.

P.S. I wasn't in charge of the exhaust on that Wagon :)

I follow MANY YT'ers. Musicians, black/bladesmiths, comedians, and (thanks to Mitch) 2 grommers. 10 mins is where want to be it seems. I watched one of the guys do a vid on how to grow your channel (he has over 1M IIRC) and that was one of his points. Seems the successful guys have found that the 10 min mark is the sweet spot.

Keep it up. If you want to bag my truck like you did BZ's wagon I'll let y'all. "I can't pay y'all but you'll get exposure." :lol: (I hope folks realize this is a joke/meme that goes around.)

10 mins is where want to be it seems. I watched one of the guys do a vid on how to grow your channel (he has over 1M IIRC) and that was one of his points. Seems the successful guys have found that the 10 min mark is the sweet spot.

This is interesting, as the other night I was watching videos on modifying HF Predator 212cc engines for my sons go-kart...and looking at the vid previews i realize I'll click on a video that's got more views first and less time. So if one vid has 250k views and is 8 minutes long and another is 175k views and 13 minutes long, I'm clicking on the 8-min vid.

If I need more content I'll go back to the 13-min video.

I think as more content is consumed via mobile devices (as opposed to sitting at a computer) shorter videos with better editing is going to be more successful.

The exceptions are "proven" channels I frequent more...if a vid goes 13+ minutes I'll enjoy watching. You just gotta find a rythym and content comfort that appeals to the masses. Having a partner (not even on a regular basis) would help.

Finding a comfortable video length is a challenge for sure, trying to make it long and informative enough but not overly long to lose peoples interest. The UPPER limit feels like around 15 minutes as long as it's content heavy, the 10 minute or under mark for smaller stuff. (Like the Mustang Exhaust Video)

We are actually reshooting a video we spent quite a lot of time on because it ended up being nearly 20 minutes and while informative it just wasn't interesting the entire way through. Being "Married to your Content" is definitely a problem, it's hard leaving clips on the cutting room floor if they are good just not useful.

Having a partner (not even on a regular basis) would help.

Also great advice. This has proven true on our podcast too. A guest/partner can bring in extra listeners (viewers) quite easily.

Finding a comfortable video length is a challenge for sure, trying to make it long and informative enough but not overly long to lose peoples interest. The UPPER limit feels like around 15 minutes as long as it's content heavy, the 10 minute or under mark for smaller stuff. (Like the Mustang Exhaust Video)

If a video on what y'all do is long it might keep the attention of car folks. If the vid is ~10 mins and shows some cool cars/work, it will appeal to the everypleeb that sees, "CLICKBAITY AWESOME SUPER DUPER BUICK FIERO ALMOST CATCHES FIRE WHILE DRIVING A 10 SEC QUARTER OFF A CLIFF AT 700MPH!!!"

I say this primarily as a guy who uses YT solely as late night entertainment and has gone down some clickbait rabbit holes about shit I don't really even care about. Even the fail compilation vids and what not follow this rule it seems (the most viewed ones anyway). I also say this as a guy who was told by a good friend, "your podcast episodes are an hour?! I'd listen if they were 10 mins."

We are actually reshooting a video we spent quite a lot of time on because it ended up being nearly 20 minutes and while informative it just wasn't interesting the entire way through. Being "Married to your Content" is definitely a problem, it's hard leaving clips on the cutting room floor if they are good just not useful.

I'm not trying to brag (or even "humble brag" or whatever that bullshit is), but when I was on a show we were filmed for 6 days. From wake until sleep. That was edited into ~42 mins. It has garnered a shit ton of views, allowed me to attend/speak at a LOT of events (although my 7 minutes of fame is waning and that's ok), and made someone other than me more money than I was paid.

Don't worry about what isn't shown. Quality over quantity.

Those are just my thoughts based on what I think...I think. YMMV. Take it with a grain of salt and for as little as it's worth. :)

On the partner side of things, the easiest thing there will be having the actual customer/owner with me to discuss the car and what's been done. Pulling one of the techs or even Rich out of the shop for filming unfortunately costs production time, and those guys aren't typically as on camera comfortable as I would like. The owner thing, well that's coming up in this new film I'm trying to cut together.

Personally, quality over quantity is important but I also want to put out pretty regular videos and updates so spending a ton of time laboring over making this juuuusssst right is something I need to stay away from. Be honest with myself that I'm not trying to produce something akin to Roadkill or shows that have a camera crew and production staff. Make it interesting, long enough to me informative but short enough not to lose peoples interest.

Also the idea here is to target people who are potential customers, if some dude in Bangladesh loves my video that unfortunately doesn't do me any good. This has definitely been a learning experience and in the Social Media is King age it's been more than a little annoying/frustrating. Facebook posting is still seemingly just pouring time/energy/work/money into a black hole that very few if almost anyone sees.

Also the idea here is to target people who are potential customers, if some dude in Bangladesh loves my video that unfortunately doesn't do me any good. This has definitely been a learning experience and in the Social Media is King age it's been more than a little annoying/frustrating. Facebook posting is still seemingly just pouring time/energy/work/money into a black hole that very few if almost anyone sees.

If some dude in Bangladesh sees it it may not help you much but if someone in BFE Ohio or even as far as IN who doesn't have a shop like yours or is frustrated with who they do have it can most certainly help. Getting as many viewers as possible, regardless of WHO they are, will only help.

I don't have a shop but if someone asks, "hey, do you know anyone who works on old Buick's?" I, having no experience in owning a new Buick nor having y'all work on one, would reply, "I saw a video here where Lucore did these two."

Any press is good press. Any attention is good attention.

If some dude in Bangladesh sees it it may not help you much but if someone in BFE Ohio or even as far as IN who doesn't have a shop like yours or is frustrated with who they do have it can most certainly help. Getting as many viewers as possible, regardless of WHO they are, will only help.

I don't have a shop but if someone asks, "hey, do you know anyone who works on old Buick's?" I, having no experience in owning a new Buick nor having y'all work on one, would reply, "I saw a video here where Lucore did these two."

Any press is good press. Any attention is good attention.

You DO have a good point, while targeting our message to potential people we may end up with actual business connections is important, generally getting our content out there and viewed regardless of who's eyes they are always helps. At this point we have only been highlighting our fun car business, we have some content coming on the diesel world we do quite a bit of work in as well so reaching people OUTSIDE Ohio is certainly important. Most of our Hotrod/Fun car customers are from the greater Columbus area however our Diesel folks come from as far away as Michigan.

You DO have a good point, while targeting our message to potential people we may end up with actual business connections is important, generally getting our content out there and viewed regardless of who's eyes they are always helps. At this point we have only been highlighting our fun car business, we have some content coming on the diesel world we do quite a bit of work in as well so reaching people OUTSIDE Ohio is certainly important. Most of our Hotrod/Fun car customers are from the greater Columbus area however our Diesel folks come from as far away as Michigan.

Look forward to seeing the new content. Keep it up.