New YouTube Channel

99StockGT

As always, where else to come for advice on such at thing than CR? Looking at doing more "behind the scenes" of a real shop/process versus the highly polished and scripted stuff you typically see on TV/Channels. We'll likely have 3-4 different "builds" going at a time, try to post a longer 10-20 minute video about once per week. Something interesting to the car community as a whole?

Feedback always welcome

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely going to be upgrading the camera situation to get rid of the fisheye issue, probably my least favorite part of these cameras. On the timelapse where the actual work is being done would you prefer to have some voice over there, music, or just keep it as is? I'll also be upgrading audio wise to a better setup, portions of the video I can tell personally the levels go off based on where the camera is compared to my mouth.

On a "Car Guy" side of things, does this hold any appeal versus the highly polished/professional stuff you see on YouTube? Just trying some new things marketing/customer interaction wise and this is just a part of the testing process at this point.

As an avid youtuber I like the way your video was following through, time lapses are always good opportunity for a little extra commentary or a music break. Nothing worse than watching and it just being dead air. One of my favorite channels to watch is Bleepnjeep. He does a great job at adding some commentary, as well as just the right amount of funny to keep you engaged in the video yet still gives you all the info you need to keep up with the build or how to do whatever the video is trying to teach/show you to do. I love that you're jumping into this head first and really getting after it btw. I cant wait to see the next one and how the build is coming along.

Thanks Joe I appreciate the feedback, it's definitely a process. We have done short videos and things for customers and their projects but nothing I ever published online so this is a bit of a learning experience. Trying to keep things flowing and not bogged down, but also not dropping this into a "How To" video was an odd mix to find.

Grant on the Windows Movie Maker part, was it the titling screening that initially threw you off or is there something in the video quality that makes it hard to watch? I'm trying to stay away from overly using transitions and 1998 video editing techniques as much as possible. Before I start going down the Adobe Premier path just like to know what is sticking out for people.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the feedback so far guys, really appreciate it!

Great channel man! Keep up the great work!

I like the commentary and you seem to want to keep things interesting. Very nice :thumbup:

Let me know if you want help editing things. I have a Macbook laying around that I use for editing drone footage and iMovie is a gift from the gods when it comes to free video editing software.

Thanks guys I appreciate it, this is definitely a process! Unfortunately time to work on my own projects is hard to come by so some of this is taking longer than expected but we're moving along. What I'm seeing from the YouTube analytics is most people stop watching after about 5 minutes which I need to figure out why that is. Trying to keep each of these to 15-20 minutes a piece, I figure that's about the length most of the successful videos seem to be in.

As for editing... yeah... I'm just doing all this on a windows desktop in the office, nothing super fancy. If this stuff becomes something interesting to a decent size audience there's always a possibility of improving "production" down the road.

Editing Part 2 right now, should have the end of it done today and possibly uploaded tonight/tomorrow.

Grant on the Windows Movie Maker part, was it the titling screening that initially threw you off or is there something in the video quality that makes it hard to watch? I'm trying to stay away from overly using transitions and 1998 video editing techniques as much as possible. Before I start going down the Adobe Premier path just like to know what is sticking out for people.

Any text that is obv made in movie maker is just no for me. I would rather see nothing or just a spoken explanation that read that stuff but thats just me.

As far as length of video unless it is a video game I really cant sit and listen to someone talk about something for more than 5-7 minutes and that is stretching it

Thanks guys I appreciate it, this is definitely a process! Unfortunately time to work on my own projects is hard to come by so some of this is taking longer than expected but we're moving along. What I'm seeing from the YouTube analytics is most people stop watching after about 5 minutes which I need to figure out why that is. Trying to keep each of these to 15-20 minutes a piece, I figure that's about the length most of the successful videos seem to be in.

As for editing... yeah... I'm just doing all this on a windows desktop in the office, nothing super fancy. If this stuff becomes something interesting to a decent size audience there's always a possibility of improving "production" down the road.

Editing Part 2 right now, should have the end of it done today and possibly uploaded tonight/tomorrow.

You have to cut it down shorter. I'll give Tavarish, TheSmokingTire, Bad Obsession Motorsports, Petrolicious and HOONIGAN 12 minutes, but you need to edit it down even more for now.

A successful 15-20 min vid comes from someone who's built up a following of subscribers that like his form/content. You need to grab people's attention on a build and keep them interested in more content from you....and it needs to be closer to a daily broadcast so people look forward to seeing an update from Lucore. Good news is you should be able to clear more videos if they are shorter and more focused on parts of a project/build.

Plus, the one build time-lapse I watched had dead air on my phone (no music?). At least talk more off camera about what you're doing/why you're doing it or play some music.

Edited by zeitgeist57

Well I'm cutting together Part 2 right now, it's going to be a bit on the longer side but I can try out a shorter format on the next one. Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it, this is certainly a learning experience for me.

As for the Movie Maker text ... yeah... I know it looks like I'm editing something in Windows 98. It's a similar situation to the audio quality, I'm shooting this on a couple small chinese Go-Pros that I use for race filming cause free is GOOD. If/when things start getting a bit more popular I'll certainly be open to splurging on some upgraded equipment.

On the Time-Lapse thing, is it better to have silence, hear me droning on about what's going on, or just lay some stock music track down? My thinking on even including the Time-Lapse stuff is it shows actual work being done, so it's not hey see this is easy I did it all off camera in 15 minutes! I don't want to make these instructional videos, but I DO want to show the frustrations and process. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, keep it coming!

25 minutes??????

angtft.jpg

I expect my free automotive content to be more digestible, sir! :lol: (LOLing as I realize I am critical of the artist and his medium)

You talking in the beginning past 0:40 was beginning to drone. Walk and talk...show shots of the sketchy wiring while you talk.

I'm starting to agree with Grant...if you're wasting your time/editing space to use older editing software on too-long movies, it's not going to have the desired effect.

Good vid sir. As stated before the video should be cut down a bit. Even if you break it up into sub part format it would help. That also keeps followers coming back as it offers a if you want to see what happens next kind of vibe. Gotta leave them wanting more. That would also buy you more time to get a head of your videos so as your rolling out episode 2 part one, you've finished editing part 3 and started recording part 4 and so on. A perfect break would have been just after you got the engine out. Then you close with a stay tuned next week to see what we're doing at the dyno Then start the next one with the drive over, ect. You could also start engaging the followers with things like comment below with your guess at the power it still had and so on. Keepup the good work man, repetition will get you into your groove for sure! Edited by Red Beard

I agree with both of you, this was WAY longer than I had expected it to be! Unfortunately having to spread the "pull out" over 3 days it made that portion considerably longer. Once it was out, I didn't feel like the drive over/machine shop talk would work as a stand alone episode. Maybe I'm wrong there? I'm going to try to cut these down to 10-11 minutes going forward now that the major chunks are done. Is it easier to watch the Time Lapse parts with music and voice over?

My advise is to buy an Rode VMPR microphone and a Joby Gorilla pod. These are great for holding and walking while filming. Whatever camera you want to use is kind of up to your budget. A Sony Alpha a6000 is a great one if you can afford it. A6500 is even better but around double the cost.

As mentioned above look at the camera when you are talking. It might take some time to get used to this. Casey Neistat wears sunglasses in almost all of his videos to help because he doesn't like seeing his eyes while filming. Watch some of his videos like this one. Ignore the content of what he is talking about. Just focus on how he talks directly to his camera as if he was talking directly to you in person.

Hey Austin, I have a Rode mike and a decent LAV mic you can borrow for a while. PM me and we will work something out.

Something I don't think anybody else has talked about here is lighting. The part 1 video was driving me crazy with you having the camera shadow track across your face.

I am nerd blocked at work but RealmPictures has a pretty good tutorial about lighting on youtube. You should watch that, and probably a bunch others about lighting. Eye Light is very important for any filming that involves a talking head.

Lol sorry Aaron I just almost always refer to them as Hers/Shes! Probably because they are spiteful pain in the asses that always demand more money and attention! ;)

The lighting and audio quality I'll definitely be moving up on here shortly, trying to get that all figured out while also getting work done as quickly as possible. This car NEEDS to be back up and running by end of April so time is of the essence! I have plenty of lighting and camera equipment from my photography days, we'll try some new stuff in part 3 :)

Edit: Thanks as always for the feedback!

• 1 month later...