Let's Discuss Paint: Bright and Bold? or Dark and Quiet?

ShowHBK

I used to love black on cars. It just looked mean. But as car styling has incorporated more and more styling elements, I'm finding that black hides it. So with newer cars I'm starting to lean towards brighter colors that show off contours and contract the black accents that manufacturers are adding now.

Though I think the new Camaro looks good in both black and lighter colors... The damn thing is growing on me..

This is honestly how I feel most of the time with car colors. Black and Grey look muted to me which tends to hide all the beautiful lines, curves, and details. Opinionated of course, because as iwashmycar said in a previous post at how he sees blacks and grey colors "bring out" the lines and details. I almost feel like its in the eye of the beholder. Also, Something I thought of is the time of day matters HUGE in this role with the brighter colors shining in the day and the darker colors looking sleek and stealth at night. Honestly, if I lived in a place where it was always dark, I would have a black car without question for that extra stealth look, but... I drive in the day, so bright colors make more sense to me. If you know what I mean. ;-)

While we're on this color topic, I hate tan interiors. I also think black wheels are played out and unoriginal at this point. To me a polished or chrome wheel is what's timeless not some cheap looking black wheel.

I find this to be interesting, because when I purchased my car, I never really looked at its sand/tan interior being a huge deal but it's grown on me BIG TIME. I have been trying to find Mustang with the same color interior, but the sand color is almost non-existent on the 2015 models which makes me sad.

I truly love a black and sand interior. The contrast to me is very pleasing to the eye.

186434d1340587721-2005-shinka-excellent-2012-06-23-lola-rx8-181.jpg

^Sorry, that's just gross to me.

While we're on this color topic, I hate tan interiors. I also think black wheels are played out and unoriginal at this point. To me a polished or chrome wheel is what's timeless not some cheap looking black wheel.

+1000 on the tan interiors for most cars. I feel like only certain cars can pull it off and those are convertibles with leather.

Some black wheels are ok but the "murdered out" just isn't for me.

Interiors are another thing that has changed a lot. Most models have 2 choices, a darker and a lighter version. No more Reds, blues, greens and awesome 70's gold vinyl everywhere.

^Sorry, that's just gross to me.

+1000 on the tan interiors for most cars. I feel like only certain cars can pull it off and those are convertibles with leather.

Some black wheels are ok but the "murdered out" just isn't for me.

Interiors are another thing that has changed a lot. Most models have 2 choices, a darker and a lighter version. No more Reds, blues, greens and awesome 70's gold vinyl everywhere.

+1001 on no tan and no black wheels.

That said I'd do a mixed color interior in the right situation but it has to have black carpet, black dash and an accent color in the leather. The RX-8 is a pretty good iteration of that. BMW pulls off 2 tone interiors better than anyone on the market

http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=967084&stc=1&d=1390294970

+1001 on no tan and no black wheels.

That said I'd do a mixed color interior in the right situation but it has to have black carpet, black dash and an accent color in the leather. The RX-8 is a pretty good iteration of that. BMW pulls off 2 tone interiors better than anyone on the market

http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=967084&stc=1&d=1390294970

I can definitely get down with that. GM has been doing some 2 tone stuff but most of it has been brown and tan :barf:

Current Favorite on a new car:

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/16q2/667344/2016-volkswagen-golf-r-photo-667346-s-429x262.jpg

3VW447AU4JM263815-2s.jpg

Good God this is hideous Nate. :lol: I also saw a medium army green color Chrysler is putting out now. Talk about lifeless. A green has to be DARK like your Miata to work.

When you work at a dealer, about 85% of cars you see are some sort of black/white/gray/silver. It's boring. Thankfully we order more fun/bright colors as Ford has some awesome blues and dark reds out right now. Those are actually much more popular than the traditional four surprisingly.

I'm really psyched when we get one of these. It looks so good in person and it sucks my phone couldn't pick it up any better.

jp1dgStl.jpg

For me, my next car will definitely be red or blue. White is slightly less a PITA than black, but it's still picks up any dirt possible. This is especially true with all the exhaust crap that sticks to the back of the car. I probably should've waited for a red ST to materialize, but I knew if I waited, I'd talk myself out of buying it.

I mean, look how good some of these colors look.

mbxhvJtl.jpg?1

GtP7Sd3l.jpg

Good God this is hideous Nate. :lol: I also saw a medium army green color Chrysler is putting out now. Talk about lifeless. A green has to be DARK like your Miata to work.

no?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171113/5a03a311e54ce950d9f4cc565017fa9d.jpg

We all can't drive boring white cars :)

It's really great in person.

That does remind me Ford had an awesome dark green on the Explorer and a really cool green on the fusion a couple years back.

no?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171113/5a03a311e54ce950d9f4cc565017fa9d.jpg

We all can't drive boring white cars :)

It's really great in person.

That does remind me Ford had an awesome dark green on the Explorer and a really cool green on the fusion a couple years back.

Not really. It looks like a wrap and almost like it will shift to gold.

You're thinking of Darkside and Green Gem. I do like Darkside a lot.

That's F8 green. It's a heritage color for the original Dodges and Plymouths stemming back to 1968-70. I think the plymouth color was called "Ivy Green" and dodge was just called "dark green metallic". I knew a guy in high school whose dad had a 1969 superbee in that color with a black stripe and black vinyl roof, it was dead sexy.

I saw a charger and a challenger in that color over the weekend and my jaw hit the floor it was so pretty. Performance dodge in Delaware has a stick challenger R/T in that color I might go look at in person this weekend just to temp myself.

this is kind of what it looked like, but not a roadrunner:

http://a12mopar.com/yabb/Attachments/2006BJCCA2_1339_1_Spc.jpg

That's F8 green. It's a heritage color for the original Dodges and Plymouths stemming back to 1968-70. I think the plymouth color was called "Ivy Green". I knew a guy in high school whose dad had a 1969 superbee in that color with a black stripe and black vinyl roof, it was dead sexy.

I saw a charger and a challenger in that color over the weekend and my jaw hit the floor it was so pretty. Performance dodge in delaware has a stick challenger R/T in that color I might go look at in person this weekend just to temp myself.

I seen one in person is the same one I posted the pic of but instead of black it had the goldish/bronze color stock wheels. I looked so so nice.

side note for a second, do new challengers come with LSD in the base R/T trim?

Anyway back to colors...I have been thinking about my GTO a lot lately and something I have been going back and forth on is the color scheme. So this might be the place to ask it. The car is originally burgundy with a black vinyl roof and a black interior. Thing is, without A/C I hate the black interior. I was thinking about changing the interior to red because I love red 1960's interiors and also I saw a pic of one recently and it looked pretty unique....so thoughts?

Burgundy with black:

525663_24eb561e72_low_res.jpg

Burgundy with Red:

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture1/IMG_2208.jpg

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture4/IMG_2216_1.jpg

I am also not too fond of vinyl roofs but you don't see them as much any more and it's kind of what the car had. Thoughts on that as well?

:barf:

I can't stand red interior in ANYTHING. Yeah, that's a personal preference, but I can't stand it. I don't care what vehicle, what era, etc.

Also, where green works.

3231208a927a2fcfb46a2589379fd65177e2cee6.jpg

Anyway back to colors...I have been thinking about my GTO a lot lately and something I have been going back and forth on is the color scheme. So this might be the place to ask it. The car is originally burgundy with a black vinyl roof and a black interior. Thing is, without A/C I hate the black interior. I was thinking about changing the interior to red because I love red 1960's interiors and also I saw a pic of one recently and it looked pretty unique....so thoughts?

See above for my opinion on red interiors, but that's just me. For your particular situation the only thing (also just my opinion) that would make a red interior look worse is the exterior being a different shade of red and clashing. Groce.

I am also not too fond of vinyl roofs but you don't see them as much any more and it's kind of what the car had. Thoughts on that as well?

I love the vinyl roofs. Use to hate them but as you said they're more rare these days. They also come with their share of probs so there's that.