Poor Mans 388 LS (need ideas)

LS_Sonoma

As the title says, I've been toying with the idea of building a LS based 388 cu.in. engine for my C5. After seeing Detroit Speeds third gen and a few other BTR rides, I'm pretty hooked.

Typically these are LS7 based with a crank change. Id like to see if there is a cheaper way with a focus on valvetrain for turning the 8k rpms. I.E., LSNext block.

Any thoughts? I don't want to call an engine builder uneducated.

How poor is poor? Are we talking scrap yard finds poor? or, I'm an investor who was making $300k a year and now that I switched jobs so I only make $250k a year which I believe is poor mans money?

Lets have a frame of reference, good sir *tips hat in your direction*

tenor.gif?itemid=4268615

The poor man's version is using a 4.8 crank and rods. Your post doesn't sound very "poor mans".

Would a LS3 block bored with a 4.8L crank be more cost effective? i.e. aftermarket but entry level pistons/rods be cheaper than destroking a LS7?

The 388 is basically an LS7 with an LS3 crank.

So the obvious budget option would be to take an LS3 and just overbore it to an LS7 bore diameter. Get an early L92 if you want to do it cheap.

There it is! L92. Overbore, then add some good valve train and Jesel components. delete DOD, etc.

King of the budget build has entered the discussion....all others pay attention ;)

Ha!

I live the idea of the low stroke big bore high revving LS. You just have to spend good $$$ on the top end to make it all work. Cant cut cornerns there.

Would be cool to see an 8 to1 header'd Destroked Ls7 at 8k :)

Ha!

I live the idea of the low stroke big bore high revving LS. You just have to spend good $$$ on the top end to make it all work. Cant cut cornerns there.

Would be cool to see an 8 to1 header'd Destroked Ls7 at 8k :)

I have some 180 degree headers made up for an LS1 in a rat rod. Sound should be close.

There it is! L92. Overbore, then add some good valve train and Jesel components. delete DOD, etc.

L92 never had DoD. The 2010+ L92 variant with DoD was actually the L94. A real L92 is basically an LS3 with truck manifolds and VVT.

L92 never had DoD. The 2010+ L92 variant with DoD was actually the L94. A real L92 is basically an LS3 with truck manifolds and VVT.

Thanks Joe! I didn't know that, learn something new everyday. I've been looking at engines out of the 07-08 Escalade for this project.