career change/life change/time to be my own boss

TurboRust

After 15 years or so in the tire/service biz i'm ready for a change. I've found myself entertained by food and bbq than anything else the past couple years. I kicked around trying to do something part time, nights or weekends, for a while and I just couldn't put the stress on my family of a second job.

Everything just seemed to fall in line, a friend of a friend was getting out of the business due to the stress of trying to operate this as a second job and it had grown to where he couldn't maintain it anymore.

The guy wanted to keep his smoker so first was the challenge of finding a commercial 500 gallon smoker that wasn't 4/5 weeks out. 2 weekends ago a 10hr trip into Georgia landed me the best price I could find on one of these units.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1018&pictureid=9068

Fast forward to this tuesday, I purchased SmokeOut BBQ LLC and things are steam rolling right along. My last day at Best-One Tire will be May 9th and I will be jumping in full time into the bbq concession/catering field. A lot of residual business came along with it thats why I decided to purchase an operating business vs starting from scratch.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1018&pictureid=9070

I've had so much support from CR throughout the years wherever I went, and I thank all of you. If you're fans of BBQ check out the website http://www.smokeoutbbq.com (though we're making a few changes currently) Follow me on Facebook (SmokeOut BBQ & Catering) or Instgram @smokeoutbbq

Company lunches, parties, graduations, weddings, and holidays give me a chance to wow you with my meat in your mouth :lolguy:

I'm trying to work with Anthony and get out to some/all of the track days.

My work number will stick with me till I leave. My phone number will change to the business number sometime here in the next week. My old 614-256-4040 will still get to me through google voice. For those in my phone i'll be sending out a mass text here soon with the new number.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1018&pictureid=9069

Derek, I give my sincerest congratulations for being a great resource over the past but to a wonderful future for you in this endeavor! I will definitely drop your name whenever possible for events. There’s GOTTA be some opportunities with the breweries in town that don’t do food: Land Grant, Seventh Son, Four String, etc...

Can you get the meat started with that smoker trailer at home or somewhere, then travel to a job with it reasonably? Or does that jostle the coals and the meat too much?

Nice looking smoker. I mulled doing this for a few years but ultimately I'd have been a one man show and don't have the time to do all that. Maybe one of these days. Until then I'll just continue to cook for family/friends as a hobby.

Congrats Derek! I think between this move and a new awesome CaseyCTSV State Park being purchased recently, there's a CR Party to kick off testing out some of those pics/recipes you teased me with via text. Those pics were perfection!

Side Note: I've used Best One Mobile for so long, who will then be taking over that service when you leave?

Can you get the meat started with that smoker trailer at home or somewhere, then travel to a job with it reasonably? Or does that jostle the coals and the meat too much?

For most lunches or catering the food will be smoked overnight and then put in warmers as I pull the concession trailer to where I'm serving food. If it's a day long event or a weekend the smoker will come along for the ride

Side Note: I've used Best One Mobile for so long, who will then be taking over that service when you leave?

I told best one 3 weeks ago so they could attempt to prepare for me leaving and they've yet to announce who. If I had to guess it would probably be Chris (bald with beard) or Keven (looks like me plus 30 lbs.) Since they both have excelled in the valet trucks and know the business.

I told best one 3 weeks ago so they could attempt to prepare for me leaving and they've yet to announce who. If I had to guess it would probably be Chris (bald with beard) or Keven (looks like me plus 30 lbs.) Since they both have excelled in the valet trucks and know the business.
I know them both. Chris is very cool and has done most of the work.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

I know them both. Chris is very cool and has done most of the work.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Yeah Keven started doing commercial and Off road farm/loader/earthmover stuff about a year and half ago so he'd a little more well rounded. They may end up splitting some of my duties and they both still service vehicles.

I heard this a couple weeks ago while I was getting tires installed. Congratulations again, a very big jump, but there is something to be said about being your own boss. Good luck with the new endeavor, and thanks for all the deals in the past.

Tom