sprucing up the garage a little... suggestions on the work bench

smokin5s

I built a workbench years ago in my garage and built it out of wood... over the years, dirty parts, grease, etc.. have made the top pretty nasty. What all has people done for this? I was thinking about painting it, but also like the metal look. Problem is, I don't see flat 4x8 sheets of metal that are even semi-reasonable in price. What else has people done besides painted the wood workbench or just left it alone?

probably, but it's nasty at this point so it would have to be painted before sealing. I've thought about getting that flex seal paint and rolling that on so it gives it a rubber coating, but a black workbench might look a bit off or at least make the garage feel darker.

probably, but it's nasty at this point so it would have to be painted before sealing. I've thought about getting that flex seal paint and rolling that on so it gives it a rubber coating, but a black workbench might look a bit off or at least make the garage feel darker.

I've never thought about the aesthetics of a work bench. This question is short circuiting my brain.

My thought process on a workbench:

1) Is it sturdy? If yes, continue to 2. If no, replace.

2) Is it big enough? If yes, continue to 3. If no, create plan to replace and continue to 3.

3) Get to work.

I'd cover it with a rubber mat or that flex seal stuff.

It's very sturdy, I can stand on it and I've put engines and transmissions on it before (thus why it's so nasty)

I think the black flex seal is the way I'll go with it. I really like the idea of making it look metal, but no local place sells those sheets and they are $$$ for even cut down pieces.

If you are going to refinish the top here are my thoughts:

It's a workbench - any "paint" or epoxy clear layer is just going to eventually flake and chip off or wear away as you put things on it and do work. Also chemicals will stain it pretty badly. Basically sand, stain it with a wood stain, and call it a day. If you really feel like having a boundary layer to keep oils and such from seeping into the wood, get something like Minwax polycrylic clear or some good old fashioned shelac.

Since it's wood, make sure you re-level the surface as they warp over time.

I like the idea of the flex seal, because that stuff is hella tough and leaves a good protective boundary layer against most chemicals. only thing I would consider is see if you can get it in another color than black. Too many times I have lost sight of things on a black surface top, plus since it's rubberized, just rinse it off it it starts to get grungy. still once that stuff is on, it ain't coming off.

another thought I had was why not route the top and install rubber pads. you could use those rubber floor tiles people use for garage floors and then if you need to remove it to put a drain pan in or something you can. Plus you still have the wood frame border.

If you are going to refinish the top here are my thoughts:

It's a workbench - any "paint" or epoxy clear layer is just going to eventually flake and chip off or wear away as you put things on it and do work. Also chemicals will stain it pretty badly. Basically sand, stain it with a wood stain, and call it a day. If you really feel like having a boundary layer to keep oils and such from seeping into the wood, get something like Minwax polycrylic clear or some good old fashioned shelac.

Since it's wood, make sure you re-level the surface as they warp over time.

I like the idea of the flex seal, because that stuff is hella tough and leaves a good protective boundary layer against most chemicals. only thing I would consider is see if you can get it in another color than black. Too many times I have lost sight of things on a black surface top, plus since it's rubberized, just rinse it off it it starts to get grungy. still once that stuff is on, it ain't coming off.

another thought I had was why not route the top and install rubber pads. you could use those rubber floor tiles people use for garage floors and then if you need to remove it to put a drain pan in or something you can. Plus you still have the wood frame border.

I like the idea of a drain pan, that could be pretty nice since it seems there's always some sort of shit on top of there that I want to get off. Flex Seal comes in clear and white as well. I figure white will show absolutely everything and clear is the same unless it's sanded down and hope it's not seeped too much into the wood. As far as warping, the only issue is that the concrete floor was put in after the bench and the amish guy who put down the concrete didn't cut and refit the bench so the front does raise and lower as the seasons change because the legs are on "gravel" as opposed to the rest is on a huge slab of concrete that stays the same or raises all together.

I went ahead and painted the workbench with that black rubber paint... it turned out really nice. so the next question (before I ask about a curtain color) Has anyone painted their concrete? The garage is 2k sq feet so the super cool garage epoxy is out, but I was wondering how well concrete paint holds up in garages Edited by smokin5s

I used scratch and dent counter tops from menards. 16' in length was like 40$ and makes for very easy cleanup.

Now In my shop I just have 2x6x18' long work surface but in front of the lift i am going to buy a metal tool box top for my bench for 180$.. then I can spray brake clean on parts and weld right on the table.

As for garage flood paint, if you prep it really well the epoxy floor is pretty good but it will eventually look like crap. Chips, wear, etc.

Every shop I have ever been in where someone coated the floor it doesn’t take long for it to start going to shit, whether it’s hot tires pulling it up or some chemicals, just not worth it to me.

Maybe you can just get some carpet runners to match your drapes.

Check out your local re-store or habitat for humanity. My dad built a work bench out of an old counter top that was in good shape for stupid cheap and its held up great to fluids and repeated hammering over the last 5 or so year. Its just your run of the mill counter top. Have a vise mounted to it as well. Plus the front side has a very minimally raised section so shit doesnt roll or drip off it.

I already painted it with the black rubber coating, it looks absolutely titties, it matches the curtains perfectly!

And I know it's just jealousy that I have a 2k sq foot garage with a lift. There's nothing wrong with me wanting my car servicing area that I obviously wrench at to look nice and not look like a hill billy dump.

I already painted it with the black rubber coating, it looks absolutely titties, it matches the curtains perfectly!

And I know it's just jealousy that I have a 2k sq foot garage with a lift. There's nothing wrong with me wanting my car servicing area that I obviously wrench at to look nice and not look like a hill billy dump.

:lol: :thumbup:

:)