I became a American Citizen today.

carl1647545492

my kids are American and could not hack the English food.

Most of the English can't hack the English food, It's kind of why your Island doesn't have an obesity problem.

Although it is hard to beat a Full English breakfast.

they played the song God Bless the USA - I'm Proud to be an American

Maybe they changed it since when I did it but they played that while some CRT tv played images of jets and eagles darting across the screen. A little bit cringe worthy, but it was a good day.

Comparing a UK to US passport, looks like you are now able to visit 1 more country visa free, Mongolia. For me, having an RSA passport, it opened up 60 some countries.

https://www.passportindex.org/comparebyPassport.php?p1=us&p2=uk&p3=za&fl=&s=yes

Congratulations.

Congrats, Carl. I too, thought you had done this long ago. Be sure to get your new passport ASAP. Always seems to be one thing people overlook after getting naturalized.

I...I think he's been here awhile.

I should have but I was chasing the dream and shoved it on the back burner then you have a family so theres 15 years gone by.

On the English breakfast thing after a night out if so there was a cafe catering to the street market traders....damm its still around! https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186273-d1933274-r133511468-Market_Diner-Brighton_East_Sussex_England.html they would start setting up in the small hours so they built in clientele,so after kicking out time around 2 in the morning we would pile into a place and pig out.

I remember they had a gut buster eggs bacon black pudding beans toast piled on a big plate and you had to be a monster to get it down and don't forget the cup of tea!

So what happens in the event of a UK vs US Part Deux? Will you be a colonial or royalist? ;)

I have always found it extremely sad how much people who WANT to come here and be a citizen know about our country versus the vast majority of those BORN here. Land of the Free, Home of the Brave... and lazy.

Grats!

It always strikes me that in some ways, that makes you more American than I am. :) I like that fact.

I've always believed this.

I was simply born here. I didn't do anything to *earn* my citizenship, as such, I don't take "pride" in something that I didn't earn.

On the other hand, immigrants put it on the line, do the work, and make a choice. I'll say unequivocally that in a lot of ways Carl is more "American" than I am.

Congrats man.

Well it was about time to get my Citizenship taken care so the family and I went to the courthouse downtown and with about 60 other people went through the process today to become citizens.

I took my Oath of Allegiance to the good old USA,they played the song God Bless the USA - I'm Proud to be an American and it did get me a bit.

Thanks.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I know exactly how it feels. Any story from the oral test?

CONGRATULATIONS!

I know exactly how it feels. Any story from the oral test?

Thanks to everyone.

The oral test split into 3 parts,fortunately I could manage the English comprehension part ok,

something like.....The cat sat on the _ _ _ ? ......LOL!

Civics was pretty easy the only pressure is what you put on yourself,halfway through she started to joke a bit and I could tell it was going ok at the end she said she was going recommend I get approved.

My interviewer had to check on the answer to the location of the Statue of Liberty when I answered with, "Hudson River" first then "New York City". I just smiled.

During study leading to the interview, I gave little quizzes to friends who were born in the US. Most, if not all, of them would have failed :D

My interviewer had to check on the answer to the location of the Statue of Liberty when I answered with, "Hudson River" first then "New York City". I just smiled.

During study leading to the interview, I gave little quizzes to friends who were born in the US. Most, if not all, of them would have failed :D

I'd fail.

Which is why I feel that immigrants that go through the legal process and become citizens are more "American" in many ways than I am.

My ex-wife became a citizen while we were together (born in Panama, came to the US when she was 3). The quiz was like actually kind of hard, ha. I was kind of embarrassed about how much I didn't know.

Her father was a doctor at OSU, which is why they came here, and the amount of money he spent to get his wife, daughter and himself to be citizens was outrageous. Like 50k+.

OP- congrats on making it official!