“First Man” movie

zeitgeist57

If you liked any space-themed films in the past (Contact, Apollo 13, Gravity, Right Stuff, 2001/2010, Star Trek, Star Wars, shit I’ll throw in Event Horizon, Life, Moon...) then you’ll REALLY like this flick. It takes a deeper side-story into the personal life of Neil Armstrong than I anticipated, but as a family man myself I was touched.

There are some “action scenes” that left me speechless. I had no idea about some of the other incidents around the early NASA space program in the ‘60s.

For as divided as we’ve become in the world today, I do wish we could all get around an event or program that makes us more hopeful for the future. Still great things, but this movie gave some excellent perspective.

Didn't even notice the lack of him planting the flag, and it wasn't needed. Loved the scene of him making his first steps on the moon.

BTW, for an actor that doesn't seem to have a ton of facial changes in his repoirtoire...Ryan Gosling was great in this movie. Definitely delivered. I cannot think of a bad role he's done.

Claire Foy's struggles were well done; I think everyone expects a housemom in the 50s/60s to be all "Stepford Wives" so it's unique to see her role as missions are going on and she's running around yelling at the kids.

The whole cast was awesome.

BTW, for an actor that doesn't seem to have a ton of facial changes in his repoirtoire...Ryan Gosling was great in this movie. Definitely delivered. I cannot think of a bad role he's done.

girls-can-love-ryan-gosling-allthey-want-but-lets-not-36733588.png

Along the same lines, I really liked The First; mini-series on Hulu which is a purely fictional story of the first people to go to Mars.

They must be similar, there were more than 100 ads for First Man while we were watching The First.

Is that anything like MARS on Nat Geo?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I liked the movie a lot as well. I'm a big space buff, and I liked the enormity of the landing and the first steps the movie prorated. IMO, the greatest event in human history. Great stuff!

And I think for the flag deal, it wouldn't have been a big deal if not for the explanation as to why it was left out.

If you liked any space-themed films in the past (Contact, Apollo 13, Gravity, Right Stuff, 2001/2010, Star Trek, Star Wars, shit I’ll throw in Event Horizon, Life, Moon...) then you’ll REALLY like this flick. It takes a deeper side-story into the personal life of Neil Armstrong than I anticipated, but as a family man myself I was touched.

There are some “action scenes” that left me speechless. I had no idea about some of the other incidents around the early NASA space program in the ‘60s.

For as divided as we’ve become in the world today, I do wish we could all get around an event or program that makes us more hopeful for the future. Still great things, but this movie gave some excellent perspective.

If you want to learn about some of the ups and downs of the early space race and the family life these folks led I recommend

Flight by Chris Kraft

https://www.amazon.com/Flight-My-Life-Mission-Control/dp/0525945717

Failure is not an option by Gene Kranz

https://www.amazon.com/Failure-Not-Option-Mission-Control/dp/1439148813/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=30KAMV6RNREE0NCQH692

Both can also teach you a thing or two about what being a good leader is, which is something the world seems to be lacking anymore

Edited by buelliganx1

space is gay

No, no, no. We're not talking about the massive space between your butt cheeks. They're talking about the final frontier. Endless space. The great beyond. Galaxies and massive black holes.

...now that I put it all that way I can see why you'd be confused.

Is that anything like MARS on Nat Geo?

I never watched that one, but after checking out the season 2 trailer, I'll have to check it out if I can get it.

The First, at least in season 1, is almost all set on Earth about the endeavor of trying to launch, get the mission to go.

I never watched that one, but after checking out the season 2 trailer, I'll have to check it out if I can get it.

The First, at least in season 1, is almost all set on Earth about the endeavor of trying to launch, get the mission to go.

I may have to look that up.

MARS on Nat Geo is directed by Ron Howard and blends drama with interviews and current events. I think it's been decent, but I just started watching Season 2.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk