Anyone excited about the S209?

Grudes

Subaru is finally bringing an S series to America. It seems to be what everyone was screaming for about 6 years ago. More power, forged internals etc. Seems like it coming out way to late though. People have moved on from tuners. RIP Paul Walker. That being said it would be an extremely rare car to own since they are only making 200 but with an 60 to 64,999 est price tag you have to be a huge enthusiast with a lot of money laying around.

https://www.subaru.com/naias2019

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a25891325/2019-subaru-sti-s209-prototype-driven/

In the same vein as the supra being a supercar......Is the WRX, STi, and specials like this still a "Rally car"?

One of the niche's I thought the WRX filled was being a performance car for all weather. Most of the other performance cars at that price point are basically toys - you really aren't going to see a GT350R or a Zl1 out in even a dusting of snow, but I see modded subarus all the time sideways and smiling in the snow drifts.

sure people have lowered them and take them auto-x and road racing, but are the people cross shopping this also looking at 2 door sport coupes? or are they looking at Audi Rs3 (another rally inspired car), Focus RS (when they were still available), Civic type R, et al... cars that deliver a solid performance experience, have 4 doors, and can haul the mail in rain, snow, heat, and gloom of night?

I feel like this is something the Japanese are really good at: building niche cars that do things other cars don't do and then having most americans miss that niche completely or underestimate how good the car is.

for a fun street car in that price segment I'd buy a M2 Competition before any of them.

I'd have to drive one but doubt I'd enjoy it more than my car. I was severely disappointed in the F80 M3 sedan I drove. Power delivery of all that tq was terrible, sounded like ass and generally was uninspiring.

I like the M2 comp on paper but m3h.

I'd have to drive one but doubt I'd enjoy it more than my car. I was severely disappointed in the F80 M3 sedan I drove. Power delivery of all that tq was terrible, sounded like ass and generally was uninspiring.

I like the M2 comp on paper but m3h.

I don't think you'd enjoy it more than your car either....but considering I'm looking for a daily for the wifey I'm sure you can see why all of a sudden that's the leading contender.

Only 200 are coming to the US. That said, it’s not suppose to be for everyone. We are far too long on CR and this cost to power and performance topic has been beat up time and again. Most of us here are pretty senseable, and the S209 cost to performance isn’t something we can make sense of. There are so many other places to put $60k to us. This car is going into garages that have throw away money and collectors. We will hear about a few that get modded to make around 500-700hp and then they will fall out of the press when they break or wreck. CR and new car Subru cost for the performance will never be on the same page.