Jeep as a first vehicle?

xlr8tn

My son turns 16 this year so we'll be looking to get him a ride. Kinda looking for an older Wrangler with a 4L in it. Don't really want the standard s10 or ranger for him. Just wondering if that'd be a decent first ride? Any years in particular to look for? I've read about frame rust being an issue....any other common things to look for? Probably going to look in the $4-5k range. Gonna get much for that or should I scrap the Jeep idea altogether? Want to stay away from anything fast because I was 16 at one time too but would like to get him something that has character hence the Jeep idea to begin with.

My first vehicle was a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee which was a nice SUV at the time for a 16 year old but the 10mpg's or whatever it was got old VERY quickly.

I wouldn't buy a Wrangler for a first vehicle. They aren't very easy to drive and tip fairly easy.

Sounds like a great idea! Especially if you and he can wrench (I automatically assume so being on CR)

That or a Cherokee, but a Wrangler definitely has a lot more of said Character.

You will get 70% of the comments about it being safe or not, but that is YOUR decision as none of us know your son. Though it would suck to roll it and kill someone elses kid...not sure just how much more dangerous it is than a POS Civic or the like.

Being "part of the community" I would urge you guys to take it offroading with a local club somewhere. Nothing can help anyone learn the limits of a vehicle like taking it through challenging terrain. Get a good feel for any tippyness and tire placement. Translates to everyday driving IMO

My son turns 16 this year so we'll be looking to get him a ride. Kinda looking for an older Wrangler with a 4L in it. Don't really want the standard s10 or ranger for him. Just wondering if that'd be a decent first ride? Any years in particular to look for? I've read about frame rust being an issue....any other common things to look for? Probably going to look in the $4-5k range. Gonna get much for that or should I scrap the Jeep idea altogether? Want to stay away from anything fast because I was 16 at one time too but would like to get him something that has character hence the Jeep idea to begin with.

My 2 cents from having owned an XJ, CJ, and YJ:

Go look at the last couple year TJs (2004-2006), esp an unlimited (LJ). Yes frame ROT is an issue so make sure you have someone check it out if you don't know what you are looking at (I recommend Trail Quest in Plain City, in fact he sells used ones from time to time so maybe give him a call and ask. big areas to check are the front and rear frame horns, the crossmember joints, and the spring pockets. Do not go looking at any 4cyl jeeps, and try to stay away from lifted ones. Don't buy an automatic one either.

Why the TJ? well it's probably the best of the last I6 4.0L jeeps. It will have an airbag, ABS, A/C (most likely), and better wind and weather proofing. Better engine, better trans, all the bugs worked out, and least likely to be rusty. Most YJs still on the road are either rotted and ragged out or someone's lifted mud/rock/mall crawler. They aren't much better than CJ's (in fact most of the parts interchange), and won't have airbags, abs, LSD, or A/C (unless installed aftermarket).

Alternatively you could look at an XJ. they are great jeeps, I loved my 1987 4.0L and was my first "legal" car (I have had cars since I was 14), but it isn't as fun as a wrangler in terms of being convertible and having removable doors. XJs are a little better in cold weather, but not anything you couldn't match with a wrangler with a hardtop.

I wouldn't worry about mileage, the I6 is known to go multiple hundreds of thousands without any major issue. I have 150K on mine now and it's never have the valve cover off (and it did not live an easy life).

something like these are what you are aiming for:

https://limaohio.craigslist.org/ctd/d/lima-2004-jeep-wrangler-4x4/6805946753.html

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/newark-1999-jeep-wrangler-sport/6801297960.html

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/elyria-jeep-wrangler-4wd/6803859403.html

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/waynesburg-2003-jeep-wrangler-40l-tj-5/6801777984.html

Final note about "rolling" wranglers. I rolled my Cj7 on some sand dunes once. I was able to walk away because...well...low speed + sand + aftermarket roll bar. I actually rolled it back on to it's wheels and only had to replace the windshield frame (which was folded at the time. Had I done it on pavement I would have died, and don't get me wrong it still hurt and I was sore for days. I spent sometime driving my YJ aggressively and I never rolled it no matter how hard I tried. In fact I came to the conclusion that in order to roll it I would have to either hit something or run in reverse at full speed and then rockford really hard on an unlevel road. the thing is, my YJ was never lifted, and I ran slightly wider tires than stock (30x9.5) so it helped. I bought it new when I was 17, and I've 4 wheel drifted the thing right onto a grass shoulder off a highway cloverleaf, spun it at 65mph on the Long Island Expressway in an ice storm, and climbed a 10 foot pile of ice and slush in a parking lot sideways, but never got so much as close to tipping in normal teenage driving conditions. That being said I've been in wranglers that have been in accidents and you can get hurt in one if the accident is bad enough. The risk is yours to assess. Personally, I think most of the fear of rolling one is bunk, they are a little more difficult to drive than a modern car, but not harder than anything made in the 1970's, and they can be a lot of fun. I was going to buy a 1970 440 challenger and dad convinced me to buy the 1995 wrangler new and I def think I would have gotten more hurt had I bought the Challenger.

Curious what your son's into from a sports/activities standpoint, and how far away from home he's gotta drive for high school. If you live out in the country, might be a better idea to get something more reliable, fuel-efficient, and/or AWD instead of an older Wrangler.

I toy with the idea of a Wrangler for my daughter in the next 6 years (also for the family as a fun toy), but it's justifiable as her school "commute" wouldn't be more than 2 miles: no highways, MPG not a concern, and she can walk safely if it breaks down.

We live about a mile from the school but on rt 22 which is pretty busy. That part doesn't concern me a ton because he has to drive on that highway regardless. He also handles my Duramax pretty good now with his temps. He's an outdoors kid so we will definitely be taking it hunting and mudding. Just normal country kid stuff....been slinging the quad around since he was 5. Currently rides our scrambler 500 and a Kawasaki dirt bike we have. Wrestles at school, gets good grades, and is pretty responsible overall. I honestly could get him something quick and wouldn't worry a ton but I was 16 and know how that goes when you have buddies around. I just don't want the same old s10 or Civic for him. Be nice to have something fun but not something that's going to kill him. I wrench and he does to the level of most 16 yr olds so I fully expect something we gotta work. Just not wanting something where we're doing major shit on a regular basis...hence my attraction to the 4L. I'm open to suggestions for other stuff to look at also. I'm gonna let him have a say in it since it's his ride but I'll have veto powers. Haha

Edit: also something I have to consider is he's 6'4. Height will be an issue to take into consideration

Edit: also something I have to consider is he's 6'4. Height will be an issue to take into consideration

I am 6'5", and the only thing I had to change on my YJ for comfort was the steering wheel (went to a smaller diameter grant GT). On the TJ's I have driven fitting in it has never been an issue for me.

We live about a mile from the school but on rt 22 which is pretty busy. That part doesn't concern me a ton because he has to drive on that highway regardless. He also handles my Duramax pretty good now with his temps. He's an outdoors kid so we will definitely be taking it hunting and mudding. Just normal country kid stuff....been slinging the quad around since he was 5. Currently rides our scrambler 500 and a Kawasaki dirt bike we have. Wrestles at school, gets good grades, and is pretty responsible overall. I honestly could get him something quick and wouldn't worry a ton but I was 16 and know how that goes when you have buddies around. I just don't want the same old s10 or Civic for him. Be nice to have something fun but not something that's going to kill him. I wrench and he does to the level of most 16 yr olds so I fully expect something we gotta work. Just not wanting something where we're doing major shit on a regular basis...hence my attraction to the 4L. I'm open to suggestions for other stuff to look at also. I'm gonna let him have a say in it since it's his ride but I'll have veto powers. Haha

Great info, thanks.

I think what I put in bold letters will be a key point: even if you foot the bill, if he's searching for and finds something in a budget you guys agree on, I do feel he's going to be more likely to "own" it mentally, taking care of it and fixing it up.

Hmm...Kerry posted in here twice and didnt share 15 Craigslist examples of decent buys.

Can they be had for 4-5k?

you didn't read my whole post:

If you don't mind 100K+ mileage they are out there. I've even seen LJ's trade hands at that price, albeit with branded/rebuilt titles. Which brings up another interesting point - I follow Sgt jeep salvage's facebook page and there are plenty of trail rollover jeeps that look easily fixable but the ins company totals them out. They even have a section where they post ones they have sold that have been rebuilt. nice thing about wranglers is there really isn't a shortage of parts anywhere. I don't think I would have a problem with a branded title LJ for the right price - as long as I could see a pic of the damage before the rebuild.

Some chick came to one of our hotel parties back in the day and she drove a Wrangler. I thought they were awesome and always wanted one. She let me drive it and it was fucking awful, all slow and wobbly. I banged her in the back seat in a church parking lot and her pussy smelled like a dumpster full of Thursday's tuna. Fuck Wranglers.

you didn't read my whole post:

If you don't mind 100K+ mileage they are out there. I've even seen LJ's trade hands at that price, albeit with branded/rebuilt titles. Which brings up another interesting point - I follow Sgt jeep salvage's facebook page and there are plenty of trail rollover jeeps that look easily fixable but the ins company totals them out. They even have a section where they post ones they have sold that have been rebuilt. nice thing about wranglers is there really isn't a shortage of parts anywhere. I don't think I would have a problem with a branded title LJ for the right price - as long as I could see a pic of the damage before the rebuild.

Haha youre right. Completely missed that. D'oh!

We have one of the cleanest 2001 Jeep Cherokee's for sale here at the shop with 85K miles. She is asking $5,500 or best offer. It's a customer of ours and we have service records dating back probably 10 years or so. It's 4 wheel drive and automatic transmission. It's not listed anywhere for sale. I can send pictures if you slide me a email address or phone number in my PM's.

Example of cleanliness - she just had a new headliner put in it.........

I appreciate the offer and that sounds like a killer deal. I don't think he'd be interested in a cherokee though. I've pointed them out to him and he's not really into them. Part of being 16 is also being stupid haha. I don't want to force something on him he doesn't want though. I drove a 75 Cutlass as a first car....it was so slow it had dead bugs on the back windshield. My dad talked me into that car.....I really wanted a mustang I found that had a 351 in it. Now that I'm older the Cutlass was the way to go but I sure wish I would've had that mustang....would've needed a bumper hitch on it though so I could just tow the coffin behind me.

Sounds like a good candidate for any vehicle. Plenty of experience with various vehicles and level headed. Gopher it.

Fuck Wranglers.

Sounds like you're doing enough of that for the lot of us.

I always wanted a Wrangler. A few folks in HS had them. I LOVED m XJ though. Especially once lifted. Given my druthers I'd get another XJ and lift it but a Wrangler is cool fun for a 16 year old, period. Just don't let NB teach him how to...."drive". :barf:

We have one of the cleanest 2001 Jeep Cherokee's for sale here at the shop with 85K miles. She is asking $5,500 or best offer. It's a customer of ours and we have service records dating back probably 10 years or so. It's 4 wheel drive and automatic transmission. It's not listed anywhere for sale. I can send pictures if you slide me a email address or phone number in my PM's.

email or text me if you would. I'm looking to pick up something for my son too. It's at the higher end of the price range but sounds worth looking at.

pdqgp@yahoo.com or call/text me. 614-795-4907

I appreciate the offer and that sounds like a killer deal. I don't think he'd be interested in a cherokee though. I've pointed them out to him and he's not really into them. Part of being 16 is also being stupid haha. I don't want to force something on him he doesn't want though. I drove a 75 Cutlass as a first car....it was so slow it had dead bugs on the back windshield. My dad talked me into that car.....I really wanted a mustang I found that had a 351 in it. Now that I'm older the Cutlass was the way to go but I sure wish I would've had that mustang....would've needed a bumper hitch on it though so I could just tow the coffin behind me.

While my very first car was an old 4cy Cavalier, I took good care of it and pretty much one day dad showed up with 5.0L Mustang GT. (I was car shopping, and was shocked he even considered this thing) Needless to say it was a solid YES from me. When we bought it it had a dumped exhaust, those blackout light covers, ect...pretty ridiculous at 17....though they are stupid slow. This went on to be my brothers very first car. He lived.

K4dTer0l.jpg

Wranglers are a blast, as long as you realize what they are and what they aren’t. You’re ahead to hold out for one that already has a hardtop and full doors, as they’re expensive to buy used. 4.0 is the only way to go, the 2.5 can’t get out of its own way. Like mentioned, the frame is the main thing to check for rust. The tubs and fenders have common rust areas, but that’s typically a cosmetic issue only.

The problem with Wranglers as a buyer is they never go out of season, so they hold their value pretty well. In your range, you’ll be looking at higher milage stuff, but you can certainly find what you’re looking for and the 4.0 is solid and simple to maintain. I’d suggest looking at Saharas, all of them came with the hardtop, full doors and 4.0, along with some other minor upgrades. All of them also came with tan interior with dark green inserts though, which is a take it or leave it deal. I never cared for the interior before, but ended up finding a great deal on a ‘99 2 owner cream puff last year that’s all white with the tan/green interior and it grew on me pretty quick.

We have an old wrangler collecting dust in the garage, we drive it once in a while maybe take the top off on sunny days. I drove it to work a few times and every time got at least one offer to buy it from us.

As much as its "cool" I wouldn't let me kid drive one as a first car. Shitty steering and a high center of gravity are just not a great combination for a first time driver.

Wow

Once in a long while, I run across an owner with such an affinity for the vehicle. I have a certain kind of respect toward such people :thumbup:

Yeah an XJ or ZJ would be much more ideal for a first vehicle and if something were to happen to it it's not a huge loss, either can be had for $2500 or less for a decent one. Likewise agree the CJ/YJ/TJ steering, HCoG, and short wheel base doesn't lend itself to being the better option above being "cooler". The lower mpg isn't great but having 4x4 that goes just about anywhere any time of the year is hard to beat.

Wow

Once in a long while, I run across an owner with such an affinity for the vehicle. I have a certain kind of respect toward such people :thumbup:

I 100% agree and that's why Old-Blue is going to be in my driveway this morning and then off for new rubber in the morning tomorrow. I struck a deal with the owner and it is going to be undergoing stage 1 of a refined detail (it's really super super clean though) this weekend in prep for being my son's first vehicle. He never though of himself as a "Jeep" guy but this one is pretty rare. I'll be enjoying it quite a bit myself though.

Stay tuned....