Fireplace Insert Questions

wagner

Anybody have one here locally?

How do you like it?

Easy to install yourself?

I'm thinking about adding one to our fireplace to offset our propane rape. I would love to get one that can use wood or coal just not sure if anyplace locally sells this kind of stuff.

I've been researching and haven't really seen anything to swing my view towards pellet stoves. My parents have a coal stove in their living room and it makes the lower level of the house as hot as satan's jerk shed.

From the looks of it I'll need the special chimney liner, topper, and the stove. It all looks pretty straight forward, but it might not turn out that way in real life vs install videos.

I've seen cost estimates anywhere from 1,200-5,000 to install one of these things so if I can do it myself that would be hella-better.

Been using an older insert for years in a 1960's vintage house. It does not do a great job moving the heat around, but on cold days I can go all day without running my fuel oil furnace. Highly recommended outside the mess of all the wood.

Also unless you have a shoot to feed coal or pellets I would not want that much more mess in the house (Especially coal)..

There is an insert in the wood fireplace in the house we just purchased. My fiancee' wasn't too happy about it b/c she said "it looks ugly", i liked it because I knew it could offset some of the natural gas use in the colder months. Sure enough it works great at heating the most of the first floor rooms. I especially like that I can load it up and shut the door and not worry about it for a few hours.

While I can do some thing's I think an installation like this would be over my head so I can really only comment on how much we like it and it works well for us.

Another idea -

https://airstove.com/

I went 2 months without our furnace kicking on. It can burn 8 hours without being reloaded. It has a thermostat and holds my house at 70 like a champ. It is a really neat piece of equipment and it keeps the mess out of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro