New condos in Powell just for cars

Dharris89

Let's be clear...you CAN live there, but you need to have another address as a primary residence.

Or....your condo neighbors get jealous and rat you out to the association. :lol:

I've been wanting to do this for a years in Upper Arlington, but I don't have the connections or skills or work ethic or money to pull it off. But it sounds amazing.

My FiL and I looked at the ones built outside of Plain City, and they really are impressive if you've got some motored valuables to protect.

However, he passed as I made the point of needing a whole 'nother set of tools at the shop-condo. Imagine getting off work, fighting rt 33 traffic for 30-45 minutes, only to get to your condo and realize you forgot a part or tool. :fuuuu:

If you're close by, or more of a bought-not-built enthusiast who pays someone else for the maintenance, than this definitely works.

My FiL and I looked at the ones built outside of Plain City, and they really are impressive if you've got some motored valuables to protect.

However, he passed as I made the point of needing a whole 'nother set of tools at the shop-condo. Imagine getting off work, fighting rt 33 traffic for 30-45 minutes, only to get to your condo and realize you forgot a part or tool. :fuuuu:

If you're close by, or more of a bought-not-built enthusiast who pays someone else for the maintenance, than this definitely works.

Yeah, close is key, I want to be able to get it out and play with it. My neighbor was wanting to do this with the old fruit stand on Kenny that's been vacant forever but he could never get anyway to call him back.

See I was picturing this as something great when I'm semi-retired, or done being a technician. Someplace to have my tools and cars were I can still tinker on my stuff. My tools aren't going to fit at home.

Besides unlike a lot of guys I have 2 sets of tools. Obviously I don't have everything I have at work, but I have more at home then a lot of home mechanics.

$120k can build you a hell of a garage

In UA, you're limited to 3 seperate buildings on your property, including your house, garage, and sheds. A garage would be one of those detached buildings. <<<Max sq.ft. for a detached building is 400sqft (20x20). I'm pretty sure most other suburbs have similar zoning restrictions. When I did my carport (not even a detached garage), I did an 18x20 as I wouldn't have been able to do much more.

Really, you'd need to build an addition onto your existing home in order to get serious square footage as some of these condo-storage-garage developments.

Your best bet is to rent a parking slip in a warehouse that has service/wash bays. Then you're not spending 100% of your money on all of the necessities, but sharing the costs amongst other guys.

I guess if you had all the money you could want. OR wanted to be close to other "car guys" in a community.

But for $120K I'll just go buy a plot of land NOT in the suburbs and build as big of a garage as I want.

EDIT: That being say I want to see the "Parade of Condo's" for sure. Sign me up for that haha

They tried this up north.

It Failed.

I think this only works if its part of/next to/in conjunction with a actual racing facility. Sure, everyone would love a man cave with a GT3 and a Z06, and your side piece waiting in the wings. But as this ends up being, its just a pipe dream.

Hope it works out down south!

I wish Chip all the best in this but... If I had this type of money to spend on car storage, I would already own a house/property that had the storage I need or the room to add it.

Along with what Clay mentioned it's not just the tools that becomes a pain, but just the fact you have to drive there to even just get the car out. For me I would find it an excuse to not drive/work/enjoy that car because its not at my house.