CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/31/pence-task-force-coronavirus-aid-157806

In summary, it appears we are sending loads of PPE to other countries when we have a shortage here, in hopes that down the line, these countries can make PPE for us when a second wave hits...

Seems like a flawed strategy that we are into IMO, but I hope I am wrong. If you read the article they are showing no difference in 2 weeks to 2 months, none, but the collateral damage is potentially far greater.

That's fucked up. Coordination at the federal level is seriously flawed. The left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.

Offering some buffer to scramble is important, clinical ect. Brix and Fauci are both adamant that these trials while great they are happening rapidly are ad minimum a year away...You simply cant do this for a year. You can not.

100% agree. It's clear that a vaccine is a long way out. The only hope is finding an existing drug that has positive outcomes.

To me I would argue get as prepared (seems to be happening//who says we did it the best?) as you can, we are mostly there, get the serological test out asap to control the asymptomatic and immune reentry and affect the transmission rates, and get people back at it, build the herd, shelter the weak, put in place mild distancing measures and get things going back to normal. The out come as it is understood is not changing thats what this is saying just delaying the suffering and has a high potential to be worse waiting. The sliver of hope for a miracle drug repurposed on a unheard of timeline is a nice thought to advocate for the delay tactic (and I would love that) but it has a 6-10 trillion dollar cost maybe larger and maybe more life lost then just letting this proceed in short fashion with the short term extreme controls and then longer term moderate measures. I hope things change.

I agree with you at the beginning, but then you lost me. Part of the preparation should help the outcome of many cases. We should have enough PPE to protect healthcare workers (and possibly average citizens) within a few months. GM is manufacturing masks in Warren, FCA is doing the same in China. FCA is shipping them to the US and donating 1 million masks to healthcare workers and first responders.

GM, Ford, Tesla, and FCA are all partnered with ventilator companies for increasing their manufacturing rates. GM is obviously the farthest along and garnered the most press. Dyson has done the same in England and not sure of their global plans. With access to a ventilator being an important part of the treatment/recovery, increasing the number of these available to hospitals should help greatly.

If chloroquine does prove to be an effective treatment it gives time to ramp up supply before the next wave hits. Right now this drug is in short supply and people who need it daily for lupus or rheumatoid arthritis can't fill their prescriptions.

Despite all of this, people will still die, but as I understand it, the things I listed above will affect the outcomes for many. I'm not sure we're ready for the aftermath of letting everything return to normal and living through the 1-2 month spike that completely overwhelms the system.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not just the young folks. parents just flew down to new orleans for the 2nd time in a month.

This, BOOMERs aren't staying in much around here either and still getting pissed if anything holds up their busy schedules / tee times.

Wait until the sedation/analgesia supply starts wearing thin (it already is). Vents won't do you a bit of good if you can't sedate people. I believe most of this is made overseas. Might be a good time to start thinking about bringing these essential things back stateside.

Wait until the sedation/analgesia supply starts wearing thin (it already is). Vents won't do you a bit of good if you can't sedate people. I believe most of this is made overseas. Might be a good time to start thinking about bringing these essential things back stateside.
Good point. I did hear that stuff was running low but wasnt sure if that was specific to the hospital or nationwide.

The problem is much manufacturing was shipped over seas. We simply can’t make things like we used to. In order to tool back up to manufacture is a costly process and many companies will struggle financially with all the downturn, add retooling to manufacture on top and I can’t see it being a reality.

85% of the worlds antibiotics come from china and the lombardy region in Italy, you cant make this shit up. Which the way I have understood it is all but guaranteed to get and infection during ventilation and making these meds mandatory essentially and not having access. Yikes

85% of the worlds antibiotics come from china and the lombardy region in Italy, you cant make this shit up. Which the way I have understood it is all but guaranteed to get and infection during ventilation and making these meds mandatory essentially and not having access. Yikes
Don't forget the cotton swabs they use for the tests too.

Local news is still encouraging people to get out on the greens. It's really irresponsible.

If the exposure risk is low and follows cdc guidance (the way I see it); then why is that irresponsible. Your risk of contraction is higher getting groceries/essentials...That to me is virtue thinking.

Most courses are not allowing carts, club houses are closed, online tee times only scheduled with a starter, and you just have to walk and or carry. They are putting in good safe protocols to help people enjoy something. The Four some at most can all easily stay 6 feet apart, and no flags are pulled, cups are shallower for contact to the cup ect. The mental health benefit for many of these golfers is big, keeping people from pure outright depression lock out is important. Seeing the traffic on hoover the other day you'd be better shutting down paths ect...but you can never have everyone agree

my opinion, we should have brought things back state side many years ago. Hopefully this is the wakeup call that we need.

my opinion, we should have brought things back state side many years ago. Hopefully this is the wakeup call that we need.

who would have thought corona would have made personal freedoms, guns, and manufactoring in the usa cool again.

Story about a small hospital in GA, I was actually born in Albany, GA so I found it interesting. Georgia has slightly fewer people than Ohio but currently has twice the cases and 2.5 times the deaths so far. They're gonna get hammered.

Just saw a graph yesterday that shows Albany has more deaths per capita than anywhere else in the US....including NY.

New Unemployment Claims:

- 6.6 MILLION this week

- 10MM 2-week total

- 695k prior 1-week record.

The unemployment rate in Feb-19 was 3.5% with 5 million people looking for work and counted as unemployed. The 10MM new jobless claims implies the unemployment rate has tripled to 10.5%. 10MM likely understates magnitude of the slowdown for a number of reasons. During the Great Recession the unemployment rate peaked at 10%.

We got there in less than a month. #winning

Random strange facts. The majority of medicines they are testing to fight Covid-19 were ran thru my body when I was doing my Cancer Immunotherapy Trials at the James a few years ago. Not sure how I feel about this. Am I invincible or the bringer of the plague.....

Random strange facts. The majority of medicines they are testing to fight Covid-19 were ran thru my body when I was doing my Cancer Immunotherapy Trials at the James a few years ago. Not sure how I feel about this. Am I invincible or the bringer of the plague.....

both?

New Unemployment Claims:

- 6.6 MILLION this week

- 10MM 2-week total

- 695k prior 1-week record.

The unemployment rate in Feb-19 was 3.5% with 5 million people looking for work and counted as unemployed. The 10MM new jobless claims implies the unemployment rate has tripled to 10.5%. 10MM likely understates magnitude of the slowdown for a number of reasons. During the Great Recession the unemployment rate peaked at 10%.

We got there in less than a month. #winning

My wife is on furlough until further notice, potentially never going back since she works in retail corporate and her company was doing bad to begin with. My company is forcing everyone to take 2 furlough weeks, one in April and one in May, and the execs all took a pay cut to keep from having to reduce work force. Its pretty bad. Its like 2008 except seemingly overnight.

My company is also doing 2 weeks of furlough for all salaried employees, top to bottom. My first week is next week, with a second one later this month. No pay for those weeks, so I'll be submitting for unemployment supplement though I don't expect to qualify for much. Annoying, but I'm not salty about it as it's saving layoffs for a lot of our field staff who aren't even allowed entry to many client sites.

In other news, I'm hearing grocery stores to be limited to 50 occupants starting this afternoon, with the Nat'l guard enforcing this at the entrances. I think Costco has been doing something similar voluntarily, but it's probably wise to institute a policy. The 2pm briefing should be worth watching.