CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

A friend of mine is absolutely loosing his mind over this. He actually sent a message in our group text as advice to close family and friends. He said if we felt sick, not to go get tested. That if we did and it was positive they would "jerk us out of our houses". He's a friend, but damn dude. Is your tin foil hat too tight?

I interpret this move as emergency services needs help badly.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kansas just cancelled schools for the rest of the school year. If we do that I might go mad.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'd say that ship has already sailed here. We're not going back to school this year in Ohio.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Kansas just cancelled schools for the rest of the school year. If we do that I might go mad.

It's going to be tough enough to teach for 3 weeks online. If we're out for the rest of the school year this is gonna suck. A lot of online meeting services are offering up free to teachers. I teach a Cisco academy, so I was going to use Webex. I started the process to create my account this morning at 8:00, my account is still not created. I created a Zoom account and set everything up in about half an hour. I'm a little worried that some of these services may not have the resources to support this. Granted, I'm not paying for it, but I also can't have it crapping out in the middle of class. My plan is to continue with my Cisco CCNA curriculum and then transition into Amazon AWS as I get up to speed on that.

It's going to be tough enough to teach for 3 weeks online. If we're out for the rest of the school year this is gonna suck. A lot of online meeting services are offering up free to teachers. I teach a Cisco academy, so I was going to use Webex. I started the process to create my account this morning at 8:00, my account is still not created. I created a Zoom account and set everything up in about half an hour. I'm a little worried that some of these services may not have the resources to support this. Granted, I'm not paying for it, but I also can't have it crapping out in the middle of class. My plan is to continue with my Cisco CCNA curriculum and then transition into Amazon AWS as I get up to speed on that.
We use Skype for work currently and it’s lagging bad lately. Teams seemed to be better so I don’t think it’s an internet issue but time will tell.
Skype always lagged for us at work. The best thing we ever did is switch to Google Hangouts. Pretty sure it's free for anyone with a Google account, and I think you have an option to record the session (corporate took that away from us).

Heard that maybe they might try to shut down the city tomorrow to all non essentials. Anyone hearing something similar?

Also, how likely is domestic air travel to be shut down before Thurs?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Heard that maybe they might try to shut down the city tomorrow to all non essentials. Anyone hearing something similar?

The last couple days I've been hearing chatter that it's coming Thursday or Friday state wide, but who knows, it's just he said she said type of rumors. Someone's friend's brother who works for the Pentagon, stuff like that. Nothing from a legitimate source from what I can tell.

The last couple days I've been hearing chatter that it's coming Thursday or Friday state wide, but who knows, it's just he said she said type of rumors. Someone's friend's brother who works for the Pentagon, stuff like that. Nothing from a legitimate source from what I can tell.
Yeah same here. My friend works for a particular medical company that send them home with letters that gave them permission to travel. Basically to show police if they are stopped. Not sure if they "know" something or if its just precautionary.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What a shitty situation we're all in. Few things I believe. We will make it through it, there's some really dark times ahead for alot of us, and there will also be some great people doing great things. Good luck to everyone here. Take care of yourselves and your families.

I just wish larger companies would use more communication with their employees. We've gotten nothing in the elevator trade aside from generic " precautions" to take. We're still running preventative maintenance routes.

The union benefits did release a statement about receiving a small benefit if you have to quarentine for 14 days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm afraid companies are too afraid to take a stand, or be the first to close up or keep non essential employees home. Once they do so I think they would be praised by the public in many cases, but because there isn't much precedent there may be implications in terms of choosing to peel back workforce voluntarily. As in they could forfeit some rights to future recovery funding or legal recourse associated with losses.

I dunno, just seems like a catch-22.

It's hard to fix elevators from home, lol. It's also hard to make that decision as an employee. I'm looking forward to some home time, but it's tough not to collect that full paycheck while it's there.

Edit:. Our company did allow office employees who's kids were out of school wfh.

Samesies. I'm in construction also, and in terms of actual installs and upgrades, obviously impossible from the office with the exception of some programming we can do remotely. All of my scheduled work onsite at Ohio Health facilities has been cancelled this week. Unfortunately not until like 12 hours before which is tough.

We do have office employees though, like 50-100 of them, and there has been no mandate to work from home from corporate, just typical good practice emails etc.