Beyond power wheels for little racers?

cstmg8

My oldest has outgrown her power wheels (5). I'd like to move her on to a slightly faster, more capable vehicle. What's the next step? I'm trying to avoid a gas powered go cart just yet, but it may be the best option.

Two seats would be great as it's more fun for them. The 100ish pound limits on the power wheels is beginning to struggle with two 40lb+ little girls.

Anyone tried any good options?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm kinda surprised at 5 she's outgrown a power wheels since the big 12V ones go up to 7-10 and 130lbs weight capacity. What PW does she have now?

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of choices for 5 year olds that seat two past the 12v power wheels. You can look at single seat electric go karts that are 81lbs capacity (per person) and speed limited to 10mph. You can also start to look at electric motorcycles and electric stand up scooters.

my daughter outgrew her power wheel at 6 (she's tall for her age) and she transitioned into an electric scooter. We were going to buy her an electric mini dirt bike but the inlaws beat me to the punch without asking this last xmas so....

after that it's go-kart kits or build your own mini hot rod. plenty of places sell fiberglass bodies and assemble your own chassis, but it costs and I don't know if you want to go down that road.

I may try the upgrade. The only thing preventing that is that my younger daughter turns 4 next week. It'll be good for her to drive.

I should clarify, that it's not necessarily that she's too big for it, more that she's progressed passed it. Though two of them together makes it struggle.

Maybe I should buy a cheap used one to modify.

Chinese 110 four wheeler and turn the throttle down.

This is the way we went with our kids. I've had great luck with them too. Our first one I gave to my nephew. I've had it 12 years and it's now on it's 3rd kid. I have 2 others in the garage now that my buddy gave me. One runs great and my 7 year old rides it. The other has issues. Runs but has a ton of valve noise and burns oil. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to rebuild it or use it for parts. Either way they're pretty dependable and cheap to fix.

The joke above about pulling the 6 volt battery and installing a small (Gel Cell) 12 volt actually worked and for a while. Had the old Blue ford one (Big foot like) and even screwed nails into the plastic tires so it had cleats. Thing flew, but battery life sucked.. If the old one is not in great shape highly suggest as it was fun for her ripping around in the yard (Remember it was almost unusable with the screws on pavement)..

The joke above about pulling the 6 volt battery and installing a small (Gel Cell) 12 volt actually worked and for a while. Had the old Blue ford one (Big foot like) and even screwed nails into the plastic tires so it had cleats. Thing flew, but battery life sucked.. If the old one is not in great shape highly suggest as it was fun for her ripping around in the yard (Remember it was almost unusable with the screws on pavement)..

Another traction option is to cut a bike tire and epoxy it around the wheels. Much more driveway friendly.

Found something in between, since the youngest is just turning 4 on Sunday. Had to cancel the poor kids birthday party due to covidcrap, so wanted to get her something cool.

She wanted a Disney "descendants car" which doesn't exist. So I got out the rattle can and started lightly customizing a huffy torex 24v utv.

Steel "frame

Independent suspension front and rear

4 wheel drive with a motor at each wheel

Foam rubber tires instead of plastic

Top speed of 11mph as apposed to power wheels at 5.

24bf2a14593b50a8fe0d2d0062513418.jpg2638a413243f2a61d5857b72d68d7e88.jpgc025403b23245f456d248d54e41acea8.jpgbb1375169ac031eb992ce1e9a4c098f6.jpgebbab7d491ee510a67217a2e670bc61a.jpg

Ignore the "8+" age range, that's just a suggestion, lol.

I'm hitting batteries plus today for a range upgrade.

I also like that it has a brake pedal. Good concept to practice for anything else they'll move into later.

• 3 months later...

Fast forward 3 months, who knew they'd have so much time at home to ride this thing.

I finally modified the spare battery compartment to hold the larger battery pack from eBay. The original pack is 24v 7ah, the new pack is 24v 22ah. I wired them in parallel, so hopefully this will greatly extend the range.

Test run went fine, and now we're testing the charging. So far, no fires.

e5614c70033a773713ba2018cc836475.jpga7dac57183e81377c57071acc240e4fe.jpg