Ethernet to spare bedroom question

iwashmycar

So with us both working from home wifey asked if we could hardwire some internet to the spare bedroom.

I have the Spectrum modem in the basement where the line comes in. I think I remember the tech telling me ONLY LAN1 works. This seems apparent because only the LAN1 light blinks. 2-4 are nothing.

I relocated our WIFI router up to the living room by going from that LAN1 port up the house prewire to the wall plate there, where I plugged in the router. Works well from what I can tell.

Now since only LAN1 works, I cant say....plug LAN2 into the house prewire that runs up to the bedroom and thus plug her computer into the wall up there.

Illustration below (if you can even see it) I just screenshot my CAD I happened to be in at the time.

Question...can I buy like a Ethernet switch and branch that LAN1 port into both the living room and bedroom runs to get signal to both? Some other way?

Thanks

Mm8lvUfh.jpg?1

There is no better solution in this scenario than running another cable to the router.

You could go big dick and do a ubiquiti unifi setup and just have insane wifi throughout the house, but thats money (also this is what i recommend to people and usually set up for them because I know I wont have to go back for problems in the future)

Whether or not you can reasonably hardwire something depends on whether or not you've got an easy route from the basement to the attic. I've now done two condos plus my house, and each presented interesting challenges... The first (and worst, because my friend worked for Muzak and didn't really give a shit) had a giant cluster of wires coming up through the floor in a towel closet, then going back behind the drywall in order to get from the first to second floor. The second condo was a semi-reno, so we were able to cut out the drywall along a stairway handrail and hide things nicely. The third (my house) required pulling up some bedroom carpet AND cutting a hole in a closet, but again, well worth it for each bedroom to have 3x Ethernet plus coax

I run this:

https://www.staples.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-WiFi-1000-PLW1000/product_2103626

Works well, even added a receiver out to my shop 150' away. Good if you want wifi, and you can plug an ethernet cable into the receiver direct to a PC. Beats running ethernet cable if you don't have reasonable access.

There is no better solution in this scenario than running another cable to the router.

You could go big dick and do a ubiquiti unifi setup and just have insane wifi throughout the house, but thats money (also this is what i recommend to people and usually set up for them because I know I wont have to go back for problems in the future)

This. and +1 on the ubiquiti setup. I have dropped my ubiquity switching but I still have access points and they are pretty awesome and really set and forget.

The entire house is wired. From basement to every room. My problem is I only have the modem in the basement. With one single output on it. Can it be split there? Most modems have multiple outputs. Mine only has one (provided by spectrum).

Like above I am also working remotely and use the Ubiquity solution (Mine is the Amplify Mesh) and love it. I even cover my exterior video devices with the WiFi. This also has 4 gig connections that you could route around your wires in the house.

GL

...light bulb??...

I believe I have a second router laying around. Seems like maybe I can go Modem > Router 1 (hardline bedroom onto this as well) > Router 2.

That way I can have my WiFi point as it is now AND have one in the basement so to hookup to the house and act as a switch?

Sounds like I just need to do the following:

Router 1

Set up this router as normal. In the wireless security settings of the router, disable Automatic Channel selection and manually set the channel to channel 3.

Router 2

In most cases, this router must be wired to the original router. Consider a wireless media bridge or by running a single network cable in this case to the other location.

Disable the DHCP server on this router to prevent IP conflicts or network configuration issues allowing only Router 1 to manage the network.

Manually set the IP Address of this router to 1 number higher than the existing main router, for example if your router IP is 192.168.1.1, set this router to 192.168.1.2. Plese make sure this address is out of the 1st router's allotment of addresses for DHCP distribution. If not, please make a DHCP reservation for this router's address in the router 1's DHCP table.

Set the Internet Gateway of router 2 to router 1's IP address.

Connect the two routers using a wired connection from any of port 1-4 in router 1 to any of port 1-4 in router 2. You can use a Wireless Media Bridge or Powerline Ethernet Kit to create a wired connection. DO NOT use router 2's WAN port.

In the wireless security settings of this router, disable Automatic Channel selection and manually set the channel to channel 8 - or any other channel not being used by the main router or any other router on this network (it is possible to set more than two routers for really large areas).

Set up wireless security to be identical in router 2 as it is in router 1.

I've done that before. Basically you're using the switch that is built into the router. You can use the wireless access point portion as well, but I would make sure their on different channels. Like as said before, disable DHCP so you don't have 2 devices handing out addresses on the same network. You will potentially need to change the IP address on one of the routers (from the factory they might have the same address).

I've done that before. Basically you're using the switch that is built into the router. You can use the wireless access point portion as well, but I would make sure their on different channels. Like as said before, disable DHCP so you don't have 2 devices handing out addresses on the same network. You will potentially need to change the IP address on one of the routers (from the factory they might have the same address).

AKA: Bridge mode

Now to find said router probably hiding in a random box somewhere. Least there isn’t much else to do!

I have an apple airport extreme I was thinking of tossing in the trash you can have. Will do bridge mode, give you a few ports, and decent wifi.

Only catch is you have to install their software to manage it.

I have an apple airport extreme I was thinking of tossing in the trash you can have. Will do bridge mode, give you a few ports, and decent wifi.

Only catch is you have to install their software to manage it.

Yeah I still havent found mine. May not have made it through our move...

Thats very generous of you. Before I commit, what part of town you in?

If the whole house is wired for CAT5, just put something like this in the basement:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-5-port-10-100-1000-gigabit-ethernet-unmanaged-switch-blue/6040713.p?skuId=6040713

Tie it to LAN 1 from your modem to it and you can light up 4 rooms in the house. Put your wireless router in any of those 4 rooms. I had something very similar in my old house.

In my new house, I lost all my hard wire access, so i went with an Orbi. So far, has been pretty kick ass.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-orbi-ac2200-tri-band-mesh-wi-fi-system-3-pack-white/6373080.p?skuId=6373080