Best 4wd RC for around $100

TimTaylor751647545500

I’ve got this great, flat, sandy backyard here in Florida and thought it’s the perfect spot to play around with a 4wd RC vehicle. I haven’t owned one of these as an adult and short of just buying the first one I see on amazon, I thought I’d poll the group.

Skys the limit with it, but a lot of fun especially if you like to tinker/etc. Slash is a great starting platform though definitely cant go wrong. You should be able to find a good 4x4 for $250 likely even with batteries/etc.

No experience on that one but the reason many recommended traxxas is parts are everywhere so if/when you break it, the fix is usually easy. Plus there are tons of upgrades available all over. Keep that in mind while shopping. If you can’t get parts you’ll end up with a paperweight when you bust something.

I raced RC off road cars and trucks for many years, worked at a hobby shop for many as well.

My advice for what you want to do is get a Slash. That is the best bang for your buck deal out there. Massive aftermarket, tough as nails, plenty of parts, easy to work on.

You can run the stock Traxxas electronics and just have fun bashing in your backyard. I would suggest going with a lipo setup if you can swing it.

If you have any questions at all let me know.

I know you bought one already, but knowing this hobby you'll probably buy another pretty soon and that being the case....take a look at the axial scx10 II

Really decent scale crawler and not as costly as a traxxis. The scale guys love them because steel frame rails, adjustable wheel base (to fit different scale bodies), and they behave like their full size counterparts on terrain. They aren't speed buggies, but if you are into the other side of R/c - building and detailing scale stuff, they are fun. RTR brand new they are $370, but you can get a builder's kit for $200 new. Used they are a little tougher because people detail them out with working lights, horns, racks, trailers, etc...and usually want close to the price of a new one for all their added sparkle.

If/when you get your Lipo batteries I highly recommend you buy them used or look into aftermarket. I Purchased the Traxxas charger and batteries and paid an arm and a leg for the simplicity. So many cheaper options. Definitely either buy new or research other options.

The SCX10 II does look pretty fun. I don't have a ton of rocks around here, but could definitely be something I could see myself being interested in if I don't get bored with my Slash.

If you purchased into the Traxxas ecosystem

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/trx-4-sport/

Has some fantastic reviews and pretty large aftermarket community. (i went into a 4 hour youtube binge after reading this thread)

If/when you get your Lipo batteries I highly recommend you buy them used or look into aftermarket. I Purchased the Traxxas charger and batteries and paid an arm and a leg for the simplicity. So many cheaper options. Definitely either buy new or research other options.

dont a lot of guys get china ones from ebay for cheap to use on these?

One of my boys has this one and its great.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLHKG**&P=3

also look at getting a better battery charger ($30) and more batteries ( ($30 to $40 each).

I almost bought one of those for my son but the parts availability was questionable at the time. Has that cleared up? My boy is 11 so he breaks his.... A LOT.

EDIT: If parts are available i'd rock one of them for myself so me and the boy can bash in the yard.

EDIT 2: I was looking at this guy: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLFWTNL&P=C

dont a lot of guys get china ones from ebay for cheap to use on these?

Yeah theres all kinds of batteries out there. But you can even buy alternative 'name brand' batteries than the traxxas ones for like half the cost. I wouldn't recommend buying the cheapest china crap on the planet, you don't want the batteries to explode and catch your RC or.... house on fire.

Yeah theres all kinds of batteries out there. But you can even buy alternative 'name brand' batteries than the traxxas ones for like half the cost. I wouldn't recommend buying the cheapest china crap on the planet, you don't want the batteries to explode and catch your RC or.... house on fire.

This, get the name brand stuff. Also, make sure you charge batteries correctly when it comes to Lipos. I would invest in an ammo can to charge them in along with a lipo sack.

Lipo fires are no joke, trust me

This, get the name brand stuff. Also, make sure you charge batteries correctly when it comes to Lipos. I would invest in an ammo can to charge them in along with a lipo sack.

Lipo fires are no joke, trust me

Best $12 ever

https://www.amazon.com/COLCASE-Fireproof-Explosionproof-Charging-198x150x135mm/dp/B0719H46PF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=lipo+bag&qid=1586906468&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE2MTVBTVlUWVZaOTgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NzAwMjM2QkwwVFQwRzFSUUgmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDU1NzI5MTNIVDhZNllPRzJYVFgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Just be safe. Bunch of other Lipo's out there for way cheaper than Traxxas just do your research and be safe with them. The only annoying thing is Traxxas has a proprietary plug. Thats why I originally went with the traxxas lipo's/charger. But I payed for it.... :(

Do your research and get a quality more affordable brand for your lipos.

EDIT: OR buy a charger / lipo's used. Bunch of Traxxas ones out there, just ask some questions about usage and make sure the batteries work/ are not swollen and you should be good and should be a lot cheaper.

Informative thread. Just dug my son's Traxxas stampede out of the closet for the 7 yr old. Had to buy batteries for it but just went with the nimh Traxxas off Amazon because that's what it cake with. May have to order a lipo for it now. My older son played with it for a couple years and it held up to his abuse so now that I'm getting the younger kid out of it I can't complain.

Wags, do you know anyone that does repairs on brushless motors and esc’s? I bought a brushless for my sons rig from eBay and it was haggard. Wires to the esc are pretty tore up and they “fixed” it with some goop mess. Unfortunately the seller pulled a disappearing act and I’m stuck with it and a sad 11 year old.

Edit: as for the connectors, you can buy traxxas ones on eBay but I recommend switching them to deans or Anderson power poles (or other quality connectors)

Going to be that kinda spring for everyone I think. I also dug my older sons drone out for the little one. I'm also getting ready to combine the 3 110cc china quads I have here to get 2 decent running ones to sell so I can get the youngest a bigger quad. He's about grown out of the China quads and is still a little too small for our scrambler.