Tire/wheel options for Grand Cherokee?

Trouble Maker

New car has so-so condition tires, and who doesn't like a new tire or tire/wheel combo anyway!

It's a 2014 with air suspension. Stock is around 30.5" and many people say 32" tires fit, but random reports of rubbing or some people saying they were fine then it happened once. Hard to tell if it's the exact actual size/footprint of each tire used and/or if they just got into an extreme tire/suspension position one time. What I think I can tell is that the 275/55/20 combo puts the tire really close to upper control arm and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

Is a less aggressive AT all-season with 3PMSF too much of a jack of all trades master of none?

Tire suggestions?

Target is reasonable on and light off-road performance, focus on on-road and we will tow up to 5.5klbs. I also don't want to completely trash fuel economy and have headache inducing tire noise since we will do long trips and it would kind of negate the better mpg of the diesel. So I'm not looking to put MTs on this thing.

Options

1) Keep stock 20" wheel and stock tire size - 265/65/20 = 30.5"

2) Keep stock 20" wheel and 32" tire. Many go with a 275/55/20 =31.9". Or a 265/55/20 = 31.5" and probably 0% chance of rubbing.

3) 18" wheel, 32" tire - 275/65/18 =32.1", or 265/65/18= 31.6" and probably 0% chance of rubbing. Not sure what combo people are saying works here, I haven't deeply looked into this.

Plus/minus on each type of setup based on my target usage?

Hard to find SUV/Truck wheels that aren't all douchebag bro'd up. Good luck.

I just put Pirelli Scorpion AT's on my Cherokee. Great ratings at tire rack. Ride great, have been good in rain and a nice looking sidewall. They are 3PMSF, but I'm afraid that doesn't do you much good.

I have seen a noticeable loss in MPG, I keep pretty tight fuel economy records. That may be partially due to the switch to winter gas. Overall, I have no complaints about the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+All+Terrain+Plus

I put Scorpion ATs on my Sierra a couple months ago. Slight MPG drop but I leveled the front end and ripped off all the aero at the same time so...

They have noticeably more grip than the factory junk did in the wet, haven't had to leave in the snow yet.

I just put Pirelli Scorpion AT's on my Cherokee. Great ratings at tire rack. Ride great, have been good in rain and a nice looking sidewall. They are 3PMSF, but I'm afraid that doesn't do you much good.

I have seen a noticeable loss in MPG, I keep pretty tight fuel economy records. That may be partially due to the switch to winter gas. Overall, I have no complaints about the tires.[/url]

I'm sure you've looked, but there seem to be a lot of packages on marketplace. Not sure what you're looking for in a wheel.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I don't even know where to start looking on places like FB or CL. Is it even possible to properly filter or do you have to look at everything that looks like it might fit and then maybe they have measurements, or if not you have to back reference the car it was on to see it's measurements?

I fuckin' refuse to search from rims since they are called wheels.#changemymind #fightme

So far like 99.32% of these say almost nothing in the title, not even the wheel diameter.

So you don’t want to look, you just want someone else to tell you what you should do?:confused:

I don't know where you got that from. I'm happy to buy new. Or if someone can give me basic advice about how to find these on FB or CL I'm all ears. But if the answer is just wading through 1000 post to maybe find what I'm looking for to save a few bucks, no thanks.

Hard to find SUV/Truck wheels that aren't all douchebag bro'd up. Good luck.

You don't like wheels with a huge star in the middle and fake wheel lock bolts that are shiny so they look like jewelry?

I just put Pirelli Scorpion AT's on my Cherokee.

I put Scorpion ATs on my Sierra a couple months ago.

Yes, these keep popping up when I look at highly rated tires in this category. Seems like the easy way to go, and it's good to hear actual experiences from trusted sources.

They are 3PMSF, but I'm afraid that doesn't do you much good.

I'm not expecting the world, but they should be better than just regular ol' all seasons right? Everything is a compromise, even 2 or 3 sets of tires and wheels (cost, complexity). :)

Mitch, still getting used to this touch screen. Seems OK so far, but maybe a bit glitchy and not well integrated. I was listening to bluetooth music and using maps, but maps didn't voice over the music as far as I could tell. Maps was fine when not navigating, but when I brought up directions my current location went to the other side of the world, so that's a huge problem. I'm going to try to updated google maps to see if that helps. It seems like there maybe be someway to do something like Android Auto/Car Play, or just mirror the phone. That seems like a better solution if it's a thing and works well. I'm also curious to see if I lost any functions or performance. The rear camera quality is hot garbage, but I don't know what it's like stock. I also wonder if I lost any 'Jeep apps'. Once I get some more time on this we should get together to compare, you can check it out and see if you like it. If (google) maps worked I think it could be great, since google maps w/ an internet connection is probably better than 99% of OEM navigation systems. You can hotspot from your phone to this thing so it can get data over wifi. So there's a ton of promise there. There's some way to put files like movies or music directly onto this thing, probably by it's USB connection. Stock it will only play video files with the parking brake on, which is still a cool feature but if there's some way to bypass that would be pretty awesome for the passenger on road trips.

Can you recalibrate for the tire size change?

I'm finding mixed info on that, seems like maybe with some paid apps via OBD2 (Bluetooth dongle).

https://offroadpassport.com/forums/topic/5690-how-to-calibrate-speedometer-change-tire-size-on-2021-jeep-grand-cherokee-wk2-using-alfaobd/

There are a lot of tools that can make the adjustment, just being sure you got that aspect covered before changing the size.

I was going to suggest if you are only doing light off-roading I’d concentrate the search on a good all season tire with the appropriate load capacity first, then compare costs across sizes to see if a size change is really worth it.

There are a lot of tools that can make the adjustment, just being sure you got that aspect covered before changing the size.

I was going to suggest if you are only doing light off-roading I’d concentrate the search on a good all season tire with the appropriate load capacity first, then compare costs across sizes to see if a size change is really worth it.

Thanks, the size doesn't seem to have a huge effect on the price, they all seem around $200/tire roughly for a good tire. If anything the taller sidewall tires seem to be a little lower price than the OEM size. Of course I'll have to buy 18" wheels, but I can sell the 20's to offset the price. There seems to be a much wider selection of ATs in the 18's.

Will 18’s fit over the brakes? I was gonna drop a size on my dodge but a friend let me try one and it hit the calipers big time. I don’t know the brakes on yours but just a thought as I didn’t even consider it before.

Maybe too aggressive for you, but have you looked into commercial tread? If I understand correctly, they're supposed to be fairly aggressive all terrains but with better roadwear and manners than MTs.

I've been very happy with the version I put on the 4Runner, but I admittedly don't put that many miles on it.

581b48b4b1b58a8d08e1a8df76146737.jpg

Courser cxt

Will 18’s fit over the brakes? I was gonna drop a size on my dodge but a friend let me try one and it hit the calipers big time. I don’t know the brakes on yours but just a thought as I didn’t even consider it before.

Of course it all depends on the profile on the inside of the wheel and barrel, but the generally wisdom 17s fit regular brakes and 18s HD (heavy duty) brakes. Depending on the trim, package, options you get HD brakes. HD brakes I believe are same diameter but vented rear rotors and larger front rotors with the same calipers but different mounting brackets to compensate for the larger rotors. The diesels gets the HD brake package, so 18's are supposed to fit.

Which Dodge do you have? Just curious, since I believe the current Durango is on the same chassis as the Grand Cherokee?

Maybe too aggressive for you, but have you looked into commercial tread? If I understand correctly, they're supposed to be fairly aggressive all terrains but with better roadwear and manners than MTs.

I've been very happy with the version I put on the 4Runner, but I admittedly don't put that many miles on it.

581b48b4b1b58a8d08e1a8df76146737.jpg

Courser cxt

I'm debating something around a regular all-seasons w/3PMSF or AT (all season w/3PMSF). For example the Michelin Cross-climate VS Pirelli Scorpion AT mentioned earlier. So, not really looking for something that almost an MT. Those sound like a good comprise for getting to the trail and good performance on trail. My main target is for on road but I don't want to ignore some light wheeling.

It was my dodge car not truck, sold it already. I heard the same with some of the newer ram 1500’s though. I’m old school so it wasn’t something I considered until now, especially with the brakes available on many vehicles.

Mitch, still getting used to this touch screen. Seems OK so far, but maybe a bit glitchy and not well integrated. I was listening to bluetooth music and using maps, but maps didn't voice over the music as far as I could tell. Maps was fine when not navigating, but when I brought up directions my current location went to the other side of the world, so that's a huge problem. I'm going to try to updated google maps to see if that helps. It seems like there maybe be someway to do something like Android Auto/Car Play, or just mirror the phone. That seems like a better solution if it's a thing and works well. I'm also curious to see if I lost any functions or performance. The rear camera quality is hot garbage, but I don't know what it's like stock. I also wonder if I lost any 'Jeep apps'. Once I get some more time on this we should get together to compare, you can check it out and see if you like it. If (google) maps worked I think it could be great, since google maps w/ an internet connection is probably better than 99% of OEM navigation systems. You can hotspot from your phone to this thing so it can get data over wifi. So there's a ton of promise there. There's some way to put files like movies or music directly onto this thing, probably by it's USB connection. Stock it will only play video files with the parking brake on, which is still a cool feature but if there's some way to bypass that would be pretty awesome for the passenger on road trips.

Did you swap the head unit?

When I got my Durango, one of the reasons I got a '18 over a '17 was thats when they added Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. And yes, the 2011+ Durango is basically a LWB/7-Pass Grand Cherokee.

I'm not much help on wheels and tires though, unless you just want to swap to the SRTs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Did you swap the head unit?

When I got my Durango, one of the reasons I got a '18 over a '17 was thats when they added Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. And yes, the 2011+ Durango is basically a LWB/7-Pass Grand Cherokee.

I'm not much help on wheels and tires though, unless you just want to swap to the SRTs.

A previous owner did.

I was worried about it, but they kept the stock head unit in the trunk. So worst case I can go back to stock.

It's this one.

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/products/px6-six-core-13-6-vertical-screen-android-9-0-fast-boot-navigation-radio-for-jeep-grand-cherokee-2014-2020

I was surprised seeing the rear cargo area of the Grand Cherokee that it didn't have a third row 7P option, but after seeing the full size spare it makes sense now.

A previous owner did.

I was worried about it, but they kept the stock head unit in the trunk. So worst case I can go back to stock.

It's this one.

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/products/px6-six-core-13-6-vertical-screen-android-9-0-fast-boot-navigation-radio-for-jeep-grand-cherokee-2014-2020

I was surprised seeing the rear cargo area of the Grand Cherokee that it didn't have a third row 7P option, but after seeing the full size spare it makes sense now.

Looks cool and it says they have a USB dongle for Auto/CarPlay. I would definitely try that before switching back to stock,not that the stock 8.4" was bad, but I use Android Auto all the time.

I dont even use the 3rd row, but wanted the Durango for the extra cargo space. GC/Durango are the same from the B-pillar forward. GC also has air suspension and those tanks take up package space.

Looks cool and it says they have a USB dongle for Auto/CarPlay. I would definitely try that before switching back to stock,not that the stock 8.4" was bad, but I use Android Auto all the time.

I love Android Auto, last few Honda's I had have had it, it's the only thing I used in them. I'll definitely miss it if it won't work on this thing, but the stock one doesn't have it anyway.

Seems possible but not obvious about how to do it. I tried a few things and no joy yet. I need to dig and play with it some more. Maybe I need to buy their dongle. But I honestly can't understand why it would need more hardware to enable this unless it's just a way for them to make more money. It's got 2 USB ports on it already.

Mentioned the stock head unit was just a back-up in case this thing craps out. I almost didn't go look at this car because of the aftermarket head unit. Most OEM infotainment is buggy/slow and not really that good, so an aftermarket one seems like a recipe for disaster. Then I looked at one in Toledo that smelled like cigarette smoke. Then the second one I looked at threw what seemed like some dynamics system/sensor plausibility fault 2 miles into my test drive on 270. This was the only other diesel with the trim/features I wanted in my price range in Ohio, so I went and test drove it. I was very happy that it still had the stock head unit and HVAC control, just in case something happens with this aftermarket unit or it's garbage. Almost unbelievable that the previous owner kept it and left it/put it back in the car when they sold it, and it made it all the way through whatever sales chain it went through and it was still in the car when I bought it.

I'm finding mixed info on that, seems like maybe with some paid apps via OBD2 (Bluetooth dongle).

https://offroadpassport.com/forums/topic/5690-how-to-calibrate-speedometer-change-tire-size-on-2021-jeep-grand-cherokee-wk2-using-alfaobd/

Personally, I wouldn't change the tire size for a .5" to 1" difference in height. Anything more than that, I would probably look at dongles and apps to make the change.

Personally, I wouldn't change the tire size for a .5" to 1" difference in height. Anything more than that, I would probably look at dongles and apps to make the change.

If it were just me driving the car, I wouldn't worry about it. I can keep it in mind and just set the cruise a few MPH lower based on whatever the difference is.

With the wife occasionally driving it, it's iffy.

But, my parents will drive this sometimes. My dad would instantly get a ticket with the slow speed accuracy. So whatever the difference is, I'll fix it.

Honestly the bigger thing I'm worried about with tire size difference is accuracy for any of the dynamics systems. And whatever the typical update is probably only fixes the speedo. But I feel like better tires is a reasonable trade-off.

If it were just me driving the car, I wouldn't worry about it. I can keep it in mind and just set the cruise a few MPH lower based on whatever the difference is.

With the wife occasionally driving it, it's iffy.

But, my parents will drive this sometimes. My dad would instantly get a ticket with the slow speed accuracy. So whatever the difference is, I'll fix it.

Honestly the bigger thing I'm worried about with tire size difference is accuracy for any of the dynamics systems. And whatever the typical update is probably only fixes the speedo. But I feel like better tires is a reasonable trade-off.

Typically any decent calibrator compensates for all of them.

I was surprised seeing the rear cargo area of the Grand Cherokee that it didn't have a third row 7P option...

I dont even use the 3rd row, but wanted the Durango for the extra cargo space. GC/Durango are the same from the B-pillar forward. GC also has air suspension and those tanks take up package space.

Ah, didn't think about the air sus. Looks like the tanks are behind the 2nd row about where some 3rd row legs and feet would go.

Funny news timing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/07/2021-jeep-grand-cherokee-l-three-row-reveal/

Could be a nice 'upgrade' from the Durango in a few years? I honestly don't know the make/model/trim walk in FCA that well, just assuming the GC has a little more feature content, better NVH, etc. than the Durango.