2014 Chevy SS Gets Perfected & Coated

TTQ B4U

So Scott picked up a really nice 2014 Chevy SS in Phantom Black Metallic with just over 45k on the ODO recently and looked into getting it brought back to near new condition. Overall the car is in great shape and while the previous owner took care of it, they also took it through some car washes and based on what I can tell never had it machine polished. The trim was fading, including the cowling area and rear valance but nothing that was too-far gone to fix.

After going over it with Scott we settled on my Premium Polish Enhancement package and a nice dual layer ceramic coating. Like most GM cars, the clear is moderate in density and I knew with this level of correction I could get it near perfect. Goal achieved. With only a few random hairline scratches from the car washes which aren't worth chasing down, the paint came out fantastic. Great news is the front end is in excellent shape with not much indication it's ever been on long trips (no sandblasting) and very very few chips or touch up points. Thus down the road Paint Protection Film (PPF) will prove nearly invisible.

Protection wise, two layers of CarPro Coatings, their excellent Trim Coating and of course a layer of coating on the wheels which should help keep them nice until Scott upgrades as per his plans.

As seen here, the paint had a moderate amount of swirls and scratches. More than enough to really interfere and dull the appearance of the finish and prevent the metallic in the paint from really popping out. Easy enough to fix.

original.jpg

Once I had things dialed in product and pad wise, it was off to correction city

original.jpg

I never really looked into the SS before, but now that I have, I'd say I a much better understanding of this really nice looking sleeper of a car. Easy to see why it's in demand.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

The wheels cleaned up okay. It's clear the previous owner wasn't hard-core into keeping them nice and my guess is they have seen their share of winter weather and salt which doesn't play nice with them.

original.jpg

Finding a car with little to no chips or road rash on the front clips is nice. No repaint or any paint work here either.

original.jpg

As you can see, the entire bottom half of the rear bumper came out great. Fully coated and nice and dark in color and satin in finish now

original.jpg

Here she sits parked until the weather breaks this week just teasing me to buy something fun

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Here's a 50/50 shot of the cowling being restored and protected. Notice the far left how it's greyed out and chalking looking. The rear valance was not far from this too. Now both are good to go for quite a while.

original.jpg

Thanks to Scott for his trust in my work and allowing me the opportunity to bring this black beauty back to it's glory. He explained that this particular color and year weren't the SS enthusiasts favorite but IMO anyone who doesn't like black, especially a nice metallic, has likely never hand anyone properly polish it out and create the depth that it deserves.

-tim

2014 were all auto's. 2015 added the manual and Magnetic ride. IMHO 2016-17 are the years to get since they include all of the best stuff, like adjustable exhaust, 4 corner Brembo's, manual, and Mag-ride.
Agreed, but still tough to beat the value of this 14 when you want 4 doors and LS3 sounds.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Agreed, but still tough to beat the value of this 14 when you want 4 doors and LS3 sounds.

It's also a good one to select when one is looking to upgrade brakes, suspension and add on some go-fast parts all of which Scott is likely going to do.

I would love a manual in one for sure but he has his reasons. Both a regular driver and from a power standpoint, he likely just prefers it. Also and one thing I will add is this is a super clean copy so it's often hard to pass up something like this one for other reasons.

It's also a good one to select when one is looking to upgrade brakes, suspension and add on some go-fast parts all of which Scott is likely going to do.

I would love a manual in one for sure but he has his reasons. Both a regular driver and from a power standpoint, he likely just prefers it. Also and one thing I will add is this is a super clean copy so it's often hard to pass up something like this one for other reasons.

Absolutely, not downing the '14s at all, still a great chassis and the overall package is still there, and the one to pick if you want to modify brakes and suspension. The 2016-17 are better if you want to keep it mostly stock chassis wise, go '14 if you plan to upgrade all of that.