New Truck

AudiOn19s

As much as I hated to spend money on a new truck here she is, my 07 Sierra was mechanically sound but rusting to pieces around the driveline. The old truck had a swapped 6.0L that did a pretty good job of towing but with the addition of a brick of a trailer last year the 4 speed was becoming a weakness as it was running in 3rd gear ALOT to be able to maintain the pace I wanted on the freeway.

Nothing we tow is that heavy the kart trailer is < 2500 fully loaded up but it's 6.6" interior height with an A/C unit on top so it is a massive wind break. Even with the other car on an open trailer that combo is maybe 5k lbs. So I never pull anything heavy but we towed 20 weekends last year so we put down alot of miles of towing.

Due to criteria above the new 3.0L duramax diesel from GM made a ton of sense. Backed by one of those fancy mustang 10 speeds :-) it makes for a great combo. Only have about 500 miles on it so far but we've hooked up the trailer and dragged it up and down 161 at > 80mph with ease. Little worried about some of the teething issues with the "baby" duramax but it seems as though most of them are sorted at this time.

Spent last weekend polishing and ceramic coating it and now she's ready to pound out miles.

50877740086_e6ba5c510f_c.jpg

50877740176_9d3481e256_c.jpg

50877848782_082a9070b5_c.jpg

I can't see pics behind our firewall but congrats. You getting out in the Porsche this year or sticking to the carting?

I do plan on getting the car back out this year, year will still be heavily balanced towards the karting but we're planning on racing around all over the place instead of a dedicated points championship this year which opens up dates for the car that don't conflict with chasing points.

Congrats on the purchase. This power train intrigues me, so I'll look forward to your thoughts in a year or so. My best friend has a Canyon with the 2.8 duramax that he's loved for the past couple years, and I go back and forth on whether I want another 3/4 ton Ram cummins or one of the 1/2 ton diesel offerings.

Nice looking truck, I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts on this drivetrain. I hope it proves to be durable and GM puts it in a lot of vehicles, could make a good swap candidate for off-road projects.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The smaller diesels are interesting for sure. What's the payload and tow ratings for your truck as optioned? Payload was the main limiter for me when I was looking at trucks. 5 people in a semi optioned truck then dropping a 1400# 5th wheel hitch in there didn't play nice with payload. The other issue I have is repair costs. That reason alone makes me want to get a different camper so I can go to a gas truck. Diesels are ungodly expensive to fix.

The smaller diesels are interesting for sure. What's the payload and tow ratings for your truck as optioned? Payload was the main limiter for me when I was looking at trucks. 5 people in a semi optioned truck then dropping a 1400# 5th wheel hitch in there didn't play nice with payload. The other issue I have is repair costs. That reason alone makes me want to get a different camper so I can go to a gas truck. Diesels are ungodly expensive to fix.

2021 Sierra elevation crew cab

4x4

X31 off-road package (2- speed transfer case)

preferred package and ProGrade trailer system

GVWR : 7200

GCWR : 15000

RGAWR : 3800

Curb weight : 5569

Max Payload : 1631

I’d be lying if I said long term repair costs don’t scare me. That said, both dealers I shopped offered lifetime powertain warranty to the original owner. Requires careful record keeping but they both said it did NOT require maintenance to be done at the dealer to still comply. Not sure I want to test this but it at least made me feel a little better about the purchase.

Standard GM warranty on the 3.0 is 5yrs / 60,000 miles vs 3/36 for the gas trucks.

These diesels do have a belt driven oil pump with belt required at 150k miles. Belt is crank driven off the rear of the engine and requires transmission removal to do the belt. Also something crazy like 36,000 psi of rail pressure makes me wonder what will go wrong on the fuel system first. For now I’m going to enjoy the benefits and see how these engines age and how well that warranty holds up.

Edited by AudiOn19s

Rail pressure alone shouldn't scare ya! Use quality fluids, quality filters (fuel filter especially), and ONLY buy diesel from "well traveled" stations. Also - don't beat on it cold, but I get the impression you've got some mechanical sympathy in you lol.

• 2 weeks later...