Car Question...

HotCarl

So we have a family car decision that needs to be made and what better audience to ask then this place.

My truck:

2017 toyota tacoma sport 4x4, 85k miles

My wifes old jeep:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4, 117k miles

Wife purchased a new Telluride two months ago, she owns her jeep and we're about to sell it to Carmax for $15,000. I'm still paying on my truck for at least another 3 years, $430ish a month. Rather than selling the Jeep should we sell my truck instead?

Seeing as how used truck prices are skyrocketing lately I don't see any problem paying off the loan and POSSIBLY making a bit of cash too (i would be happy with a few hundred bucks honestly). I bought this truck thinking I would have it for 10 years at least so i'm a bit attached. But after having one baby and realizing its not as big as i thought it was with a carseat and our lab in the back I'm thinking we may grow out of it sooner than expected. ESPECIALLY if we decide to have another kid.

Financially it's probably the smarter move, my wife owns the jeep and the title is in her name so no car payment. However at 117k maintenance costs for the jeep will be more and more expensive and honestly, whats the total lifespan of a 2014 jeep GC? 150k miles maybe?

Keep the truck or keep the jeep? What say you CR...

I’d dump the truck and drive the Cherokee into the grave.

I would think it would be the other way around, wouldn’t it? The Tacoma has to be more reliable than the Jeep. Sell the Cherokee, use that to pay off the truck and then run that one into the ground. Even if you do end up getting rid of the truck for something more kid-friendly, it will still be more than the Jeep in the future.

I don't know about newer Cherokees but the Tacoma can be driven well into the ground and will likely rust before it has any of the issues the Jeep's going to have. Tires brakes and oil is going to be all you need for another decade.

Get a truck cap if you don't have one we hauled both our girls around in car seats from 2008 to 2016. Eventually we did trade the 2005 Tacoma in with 250k on it and underside rust and got $10,000.

If you send me the vins , mileage and options I can give you a idea what you would be looking at to get for them via a dealership buyout vs market value

Sadly while still decently well the market is softening up a little bit so I would make a decision sooner rather than later

Having owned a '14 GC limited at the time of our first child's birth, I'd dump that thing asap. The room is laughable, and the ride is probably worse than the Tacoma. One of our least favorite vehicles ever.

I'd say either

A. sell the jeep and put the $15k towards the truck and get a trifold tonneau cover for easy cargo space. $430 is a small car payment nowadays.

B. Sell both and get whatever it is that you both think will fit your family needs.

C. LS swap both the GC and the Tacoma, add Chinese turbos, hit the dessert, and win race wars. Your kid will think you're super cool some day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'd sell the Jeep to pay off the Taco. I hate my '20 Taco, but if you love yours, keep it.

Also, try other used car places. Carvana, Carmax, webuyanycar.com, and try also Drive Direct and Honda Marysville (if you don't mind the drive).

Id sell the Jeep and pay off the Taco. Then you have a nice, paid off truck and that extra 400 in your hand every month. In 3 years it will still be worth nearly $20K.

In contrast, the smart option money-wise is to sell the truck. Pocket $15K and do good things with it - College Fund, ect....time-value of money shit....then youll be riding in a $5K vehicle in 3 years though.

So if you already have money and time making you money on those back ends, keep the damn truck and enjoy that 10 year plan you have for it.

Fellas thanks for all the great replies, we're definitely selling the jeep and putting extra cash towards paying off the Taco.

I could sell both and take advantage of the used car market but in the end I would end up with the same or a very similar vehicle anyway, probably a Tundra or F150.

I still can't believe Carmax is going to give us that much for the Jeep. Oh well, gimme my check.

I'd sell the Jeep to pay off the Taco. I hate my '20 Taco, but if you love yours, keep it.

Also, try other used car places. Carvana, Carmax, webuyanycar.com, and try also Drive Direct and Honda Marysville (if you don't mind the drive).

"love" might be a strong word, I really like the utility of the taco, it seems like the perfect size for 90% of what i need it to do but there are some things that annoy me, I always feel like the transmission is "searching" for the perfect gear on the highway for one.

Why do you hate yours?