Teaching the wife to ride.

jporter12

Well, tonight I spent some time teaching the wife how to ride the bike. It all started when we stopped by the Iron Pony so that I could pick up a new front tire, and she HAD to try on a few helmets (actually, I told her to quit just looking at them, that if they didn't fit right, it doesn't matter how it looks.) We bought an inexpensive one for now, until we're sure she takes to riding. She can always use it riding 4 wheelers (if we ever get one, or more) or anything else that might require a helmet.

Anyway, we went over the controls, getting on and off the bike, started the engine, and feeel of the clutch. She does not do a manual transmission in a car even. We progressed to moving a little under power, and stopping. She's a bit hard on the brake, which I keep telling her she needs to work on in the car even, but she has managed to keep the shiny side up, and off the pavement!

Anyway, does anyone have any tips to help her keep balanced while moving slow? I'm not sure how to tell her to do it! I think I would be more prepared for this if I had been through the BRC, but that's not until the end of July, unless I get in on a walk-in spot.

We'll be back to it tomorrow night!

The bike is a lot easier to balance when it's moving at speed. Slow speeds are the hardest.

This is how the start of the BRC is set up, you could try going through this:

-Start with familiarization with controls.

-Starting/stopping the engine

-Selecting a gear and finding neutral

-Get a feel for the clutch. Do this by selecting 1st and slowly letting the clutch out just until the bike starts to move then pull back in. Keep playing with that friction point. Keep both feet on the ground when doing this and NO throttle.

-Once you've got a feel for the clutch, try slowly walking the bike with just the clutch in a straight line. Use the clutch to get the bike moving and walk your feet with it to keep balance

-Next is using the clutch and a little throttle to actually start going. You can start by "walking" as descibed above but give the bike some gas to get going and actually put your feet on the pegs. Do this in straight lines and turn the bike around instead of riding around.

-Once comfortable with clutch, starting, and braking you can move on to something like an oval in a parking lot. Go straight, turn corners, go straight. You get the point. In the turn, if she feels like the bike is going to do that scary "drop in", give it just a little gas and it will stop doing that.

-To practice balance, get the bike going in a straight line at a slow speed. Then you are going to work the clutch, throttle, and rear brake to try to go as slow as possible in a straight line. This usually involves playing with the "slip point" on the clutch and holding the rear brakes steady. See how slow you can get the bike. If you feel you are going to fall over, let up on the rear brake a bit to gain speed.

That's some of the basics I remember from the BRC. Someone correct me on anything or feel free to add if you want, it's been a while.

Edited by RSVDon

sign her up for the riders safety course. the instructors i've seen have been great with new riders.

this is so tru. i reccommend the rider course to everyone!!

I suggest buying a dirtbike. Learning how to ride on the street hurts alot more than the dirt. Plus, if she puts you bike on the pavement it's going to cost you alot more than if you lay a dirtbike down.

this is a great way to get clutch feel too. plus it gives you and excuse to buy a new toy ;)

I might see if I can borrow a friend's dirt bike, but not sure.

The main point of all this is to make sure that she's really up to riding. I think we're going to get her signed up for the BRC soon, as long as she doesn't decide soon that she can't do it.

The BRC is definitely in the plans, I am signed up, even though I'm pretty confident I could pass the test (as long as I know exactly what to expect.) I've put somewhere around 1200 - 1500 miles on the bike since I got it.

Going slow in 1st gear is difficult because it's too jerky, esp on a 250. Get into 2nd gear asap. You have much more control.

Also the pedal bike is a good idea. Practice figure 8's and coming to a stop without putting your foot down then continuing before you fall. They make you do that in the BRC.

I would take her to the BRC with you in case she can do a walk in but she will need to get her temps first. Teaching her to ride is great but she may learn better from an impartial party. At the BRC, you are on your own once you start the riding bit so I think she would pay more attention and get more out of it.

Try to get her to at least do the BRC before giving up. I think she will feel more confident afterward.

Edited by F4iBunny

Lot's of great tips everyone! Keep them coming, if anyone has anything to add! We're getting her temps ASAP, then as soon as she get's home from that, she'll be signing up for the BRC. I may have her go to the BRC with me to watch, IF we can find someone to watch the kids.

Edited by jporter12

Lot's of great tips everyone! Keep them coming, if anyone has anything to add! We're getting her temps ASAP, then as soon as she get's home from that, she'll be signing up for the BRC. I may have her go to the BRC with me to watch, IF we can find someone to watch the kids.

Watching won't benefit her other than getting away from the kids, lol. You have to be out there on a bike to get something out of it. Also, check on BRC course registration. It's filling up fast all the way to September and many classes are closed.

Hmm, I don't remember doing that.

I actually do that all the time, myself. On most of the back roads, it's not an issue to not come to a complete stop, and even when I do, I try to keep my feet on the pegs as long as I can, especially after Chvysoldier was following me days after I started riding, and said I was putting my feet down early!

Edited by jporter12

I actually do that all the time, myself. On most of the back roads, it's not an issue to not come to a complete stop, and even when I do, I try to keep my feet on the pegs as long as I can, especially after Chvysoldier was following me days after I started riding, and said I was putting my feet down early!

I do the same, a lot. Just never did it in the BRC.

I've been thinking of teaching my girlfriend to ride. I think I'll do a bit of 'classroom' stuff first; give her my handbook from the BRC so she can learn the controls and such before she even gets on the bike. I think a decent theoretical knowledge would help a lot before actually getting on 2 wheels.

Going slow in 1st gear is difficult because it's too jerky, esp on a 250. Get into 2nd gear asap. You have much more control.

Also the pedal bike is a good idea. Practice figure 8's and coming to a stop without putting your foot down then continuing before you fall. They make you do that in the BRC.

I remember that exercise if I remember correctly they emphasized clutch control and looking forward to most riders. I use the stop and stay on the pegs all the time at stop signs.

Good suggestions I have seen so far.

MSF is the best place for her to start. Their was one girl who keep having trouble, mostly stalling and not turning in the box. The last day she was done ready to quit and the instructors motivated her and worked with her and she ended up passing. She never was on any kind of bike or used a clutch before.

Hats off to your wife. I bought a KE100 and just got it back from the shop so that my girl friend could learn on it. Last night she got her first time on it after dinner. I used the same technique that MSF uses and she did great. She stalled it a couple times but quickly learned to add power as she engaged the friction zone with the clutch. Tuesday well be working on start-stop, front rear breaking, manuvering, and shifting up and down. Maybe even a little follow the leader around the yard.

If you get a dirt bike make sure it is not an MX bike over 100cc! A 250cc YZ can kick an unexperienced rider to the ground in an instant. I suppose a good list of starter bike IMHO would include a XT 250, KLR 250, DR 250, TW 200, maybe a CRF230F or other <250cc enduro bikes from the 80s' and 90s'. I also believe offroad experience can enhance the onroad ability for almost any rider.

Had to add this in as a real cheap answer to the starter bike. Craigs list 110cc $300!http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/1208110232.html

Edited by buildit

I got in on the class at the main DMV on E. Broad as a walk-in my first try. Lucky me, right? Well, if you do sign up for a class you can still try to get in as a walk-in earlier as long as you show proof that you've payed for a later class. No need to show up early for the walk-in, they don't do the first-come-first-serve thing. It's a lottery.

I got in on the class at the main DMV on E. Broad as a walk-in my first try. Lucky me, right? Well, if you do sign up for a class you can still try to get in as a walk-in earlier as long as you show proof that you've payed for a later class. No need to show up early for the walk-in, they don't do the first-come-first-serve thing. It's a lottery.

I suggest anyone who has been riding for at least 200 miles a month for a month or two sign up for the return rider class. It's the same info as the beginner but in less time and you still get a free pass on the license test and discount on insurance. Discount on insurance is why I took it! Saved three time the cost of the class in one years insurance bill.:D

You're on the slippery slope now. Next thing you know she'll want a new Ducati. Speaking from experience. Good luck with that.

Actually, this COULD be the ticket for me to get somethin bigger! Although, she might be better off on a rebel or something like that, she's BARELY tall enough for the Ninja 250.