New diesel bike gets 112MPG

Cypress

What's the engine made of? In cars diesels are cast iron blocks and not aluminum like a gasoline engine. That will make a big difference with regard to weight.

just from looking at it you can tell it is an aluminum block, most of the next gen diesels being released have a reinforced aluminum block. check out the new line of mercedes cdi and bmw diesel engines.

Its cool but I don't ride a motorcycle worrying about my mpg.

Did you read the stats? It's still a good bike...not like your 1000 but it'll go. Of coarse, years from now bike like these will be just as fast.

The KLR 650 Multi fuel bike has existed for a few years but is military use only. Why? Well production limits are one reason, price is another ($17,000 estimated two years ago), but lack of big bike manufacturers willing to bite is the biggest reason. None of the big bike manufacturers are intersted. Sucks too because the military diesel is reported to get 110mpg, have rediculous torque and a 100+mph top speed combined with the stock 5.5gallon fuel tank. Can you go 500+ miles without stopping for something other than fuel? :lol: The two reasons I would not get one is price and availability of parts. All parts are special made and in limited quanities. I assume the military gets first dibs. :(

Edited by buildit

The KLR 650 Multi fuel bike has existed for a few years but is military use only. Why? Well production limits are one reason, price is another ($17,000 estimated two years ago), but lack of big bike manufacturers willing to bite is the biggest reason. None of the big bike manufacturers are intersted. Sucks too because the military diesel is reported to get 110mpg, have rediculous torque and a 100+mph top speed combined with the stock 5.5gallon fuel tank. Can you go 500+ miles without stopping for something other than fuel? :lol: The two reasons I would not get one is price and availability of parts. All parts are special made and in limited quanities. I assume the military gets first dibs. :(

oh and the fact that they took out the engine balancer to save weight and simplify the engine so you may be able to ride 500 miles but only the girls will enjoy the ride

Marine corps been using them a couple years now. One of the moorsickle mags had a write up on them last year. Already proven in Iraq with combat messengers.