should i get a new bike??

speedwolf02

*just kinda thinking out loud, didnt mean to make this so long but if you got some time to kill help me make an oppinion or help me choose what to do lol*

ok so heres the deal, lately ive been toying with a cruizer (like a shadow or vulcan) cause it seems like ive been doing alot of highway riding lately, i go back and forth from home every now and then every few weeks which is about 3 hours away and on the r6 it gets tiring after a couple hours but i dont mind it... today my moms bf let me ride his shadow, its a 84 shadow, deffenently aton different sits alot farther back and assuming alot better for long distance but the only thing is its slow as hell!! i held it wide open in 4th or 5th and had trouble getting over 85-90 lol and its a 700cc bike so it was a huge change from the r6... im thinking about holding off on getting a cruizer cause i couldnt handle such slowness, mabey it was since it was an older bike but still aton different.. but then i was thinking, i dont want to say im getting tired of my bike but it seems like the type of riding that ive been doing is just getting kinda old.. made it down to couple bike meets and there aton of fun but im in lima which is pretty much all flat! i was thinking it might be fun to get a 450 and street legalize it and put some SuMo tires on it, there for i could use it for on road and if i want to go off road i can throw on the dirt tires and go off road for dirtbiking.. then i could mess around with it more, wheelies findin hills or any jumps idk.. i dont know much about dirtbikes and wasnt sure how much it would cost to street legalize and get some tires for it.. if i were to get a 450 i wasnt sure what they top out at or if you can use them for highway useage.. one guy told me his 250 2stoke with the right gearing topd out at 115... not sure if thats totally true or not but if it is true and u had the right gearing, in that case that would work for me cause i could still keep up on highway somewhat and not be beating the crap out of it, and then i could ride down to columbus for any meets going on, Im not sure quite on what to do... or if i should stick with my r6.. if i do get a SuMo i would have to sell my bike that I have and I have a car but i wouldnt mind findin a 1 bike trailor for it.. not sure how much that would be either... i dont have aton of cash but i got a little in the bank to spend so... would it be worth it? would it not, any oppinions are welcome.. sry again this is so long.. just thinkin out loud

I've got an '06 Shadow Spirit 1100 and love it. Got to have a sport-type bike also, but the Shadow is great. You can keep the 700 size Shadows, the 1100 is the smallest I'd have, and I would have had the VTX1800, but they don't make the Spirit style bigger than the 1100. I just took a trip to Cabela's a couple weeks ago, 2up down the interstate (combined rider weight of about 350lbs) 80-85mph the whole way there and back and got 47mpg. I don't even put it into 5th gear unless I'm cruising over 65. It's about as comfortable as my recliner and I can hold my own on the twisties with it (for a cruiser). I've gone thru a few bikes in the last few years and ended up with the two I have now (I'm kind of partial to Honda, I worked for them in another life). SUMO would be fun as hell, but less practical and more trouble than your R6. The trouble part is the only thing talking me out of getting one (I'm an old-school dirt rider):)

personally i find the forward control seating position less comfortable than the standard seating position. Buy some adjustable bars, that way you can move them back for freeway riding, them move them forward for carving up the twisties...

All biased-ness aside...what was so unsafe about it? lol.

In all seriousness - and to be fair, I only put about 6 miles on it - it was no where near as nimble as a sportbike. I know they're not designed to be, but personally, I see that as a safety detriment. If you get into a hairy situation, the sharp handling of a sportbike could be the difference between avoiding an accident or getting caught up in it.

Maybe it was just the Vrod (that's the only cruiser I've ever been on) that felt porky? But, I'm used to porky bikes ('busa, and even the SV1k is a pig), even so, night and day. I've got nothing against cruisers, they have a specific design and riding purpose, but I think in the grand scheme a sportbike is a much safer bike. We're talking the automotive equivalent of comparing a Crown Victoria vs. a Lotus.

I suppose as long as you are aware of the limitations of the machine you can ride it accordingly, but for your average street squid - the handling afforded on a sportbike leaves a larger window for error when rode within the legal limits.

There will always be exceptions to everything too - like the ol' man on the Goldwing that outruns sportbikes at Deals Gap, but for the general riding populace, I think the handling on a cruiser makes it less safe than a sportbike.

Edited by JRMMiii

like the ol' man on the Goldwing that outruns sportbikes at Deals Gap

I know a dude like that, on his last trip there he ground his kickstand in half on the pavement, and totally obliterated a set of floorboard pucks. All this on a car tire.

a sumo is more then likely the most fun u can have one 2 wheels. i love love love mine. that said they are not for highway use in any way shape or form, yeah u can get a 690 from ktm but thats more of a megatard then a supermotard, and they arent the same as a 450.... mines open for rides any time some oen comes to coshocton and wants to give it a try.

i got 860 in rims, 260 in tires, 100 head light, 10 in taillight, 150 or 200 i cant remember in a statar/flywheel. check out smjdc there are a bunch of bikes for sale on there! i think 4 stroke is the way to go over a 2 smoker, do u really want to carry oil and mix it every time u stop for gas? do u wanna tear the top end out ever 4 months? nah didnt think so. and for speed with the right gearing anything will hit 115, mine tops out like 101, but crusies more compfy for the engine at like 55.

on the other hand i know triumph (baised) have the speed triple (big boy) and the street triple (little brother based off the 675 motor) that has a more up right seating position and dirtbike like bars, but have the ability to tear up the corners still. just a thought.

lets see a cruiserr do this and survive!

DSCF1193-1.jpg

DSCF1208-2.jpg

3649167954_bfcbfc7d64_o.jpg

Edited by 4DAIVI PAI2K5

all this for a trip home every couple weeks, why not just drive a car instead of ride your bike?

when i go home i like to ride around here cause i got nothin better to do lol

3649167954_bfcbfc7d64_o.jpg

just wondering do u need full leathers if you going to take it to a track like that or would motorcross gear work fine for that?

well Justin what fuckin vrod did you ride. Did it have square tires on it? i don't have anytrouble manuvering that thing. if your not use to forward controls your not gonna feel safe. its deff not the bike trust me. and speedwolf I don't have any problems getting above 85,95,105,125, I just foud a used 02vrod for 7000 in grove city.

I would get a "street fighter" or "naked street bike" if you want comfort and performance. My first bike was a kawasaki zr7s and it sat much more upright than the traditional sport bike, yet had way more pickup than my dad's 1300 cc harley. It handled great through turns, and I could ride it for hours without my back hurting and gas mileage was good. I would check out the yamaha FZ6. It's got an older version of an R6 engine, tuned for more mid range performance, so it would still have the pick up your use to with a more comfortable ride.

09MS_FZ6_blu_S3_8e8ed636.jpg

pic of what my kawak looked like

4453865_1.jpg

well Justin what fuckin vrod did you ride. Did it have square tires on it? i don't have anytrouble manuvering that thing. if your not use to forward controls your not gonna feel safe. its deff not the bike trust me. and speedwolf I don't have any problems getting above 85,95,105,125, I just foud a used 02vrod for 7000 in grove city.

It was a dealer rental, bone stock VRSCDX - Night Rod - the only additions were a windscreen and two saddle bags... had 1100 miles on the odo. You ride yours fine, in fact I tell people I was impressed with how you handled that on our ride - "for a cruiser" - it's just not for me (and I hate to think of how fast you would be on a sportbike if you're willing to throw the vrod around like that - you should look into it). Even with 5 miles I could already tell that even if I got used to it, it wouldn't have the capabilities I desired in a bike. It's not the speed... anyone can get double digits, it's my comfort level and lean angle.

I'm 6' tall and it made me feel short, maybe it's because my torso is longer and my legs are shorter, but trying to reach the shifter was a chore and I don't feel safe when my leg has to have full extension just to shift.

just wondering do u need full leathers if you going to take it to a track like that or would motorcross gear work fine for that?

no u dont need full leathers for circleville, they make some leather mx stuff reg stuff will work also just have to get some kind pressure suit with armor cuz nylon mx gear doesnt hold up awesome on the asphalt.

alright well i got a new bike.. and keeping my r6 lol, needed to get something to mess around on lol.. dont have any other pictures yet but this things a small bat outa hell, borrd out to 110cc 4 speed, put some rear pegs on it today, lol this things fun as hell!

100_0912.jpg

100_0914.jpg

and both bikes together..

100_0918.jpg

not to good at it yet but thoughtd id share my new toy with u guys