Dayton folk news

NinjaNick

Yep. I will purchasing a gun this year.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/east-dayton-businesses-report-sur-13-tagging-180484.html

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/180485.html

East Dayton businesses report ‘Sur 13’ tagging

A police detective says it means a gang, possibly Hispanic, is announcing its presence in the neighborhood.

By Lucas Sullivan, Staff Writer

Updated 12:43 AM Saturday, June 27, 2009

A nationally known Hispanic gang with ties to southern California and Mexico is trying to claim turf in an East Dayton neighborhood, area law enforcement officers said.

Detectives with the Miami Valley Safe Streets Task Force were in the area near Watervliet Avenue and Smithville Road on Thursday, June 25, after numerous business owners reported their buildings had been tagged — signed — with “Sur 13” done with black spray paint.

The tag is in reference to the Sureños 13 gang, also known as Sur 13 or Sur Trece’, which has been identified by the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office as an area gang.

Dayton police said more than six businesses in that area were tagged sometime early Thursday.

“Tagging of specific areas and crossing out of other names or symbols on walls means they are announcing their presence,” Dayton Detective Chad Knight said.

David Bertke, owner of Rich’s Pawn Shop, in the 700 block of Watervliet, said detectives told him Thursday that Sur 13 is a subgroup of the Mexican Mafia and is prone to violence.

Lt. Chris Williams, commander of the Second Police District, would not confirm Bertke’s statement.

“It does worry me about what the police said (Thursday),” Bertke said about the possible gang connection. “I hope they patrol the area a little more. That’s all they can do, I guess.”

Employees at the Beer Depot, directly across from the pawn shop, said they noticed young kids hanging out about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.

None of the businesses tagged had outside video surveillance.

Knight said it’s not the first time he’s seen a “Sur 13” tag in the city, but the abundance and concentration found Thursday was unusual.

Bertke said, “We’ve been here since 1987 and this is the first time we’ve seen something like this. But we aren’t going anywhere.”

The spray-painted moniker of the nationally well-known Hispanic gang Sureños compounds an already busy year for detectives who are assigned to investigate gangs.

Detectives with the Safe Streets Task Force, which includes Dayton police, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and the FBI, have focused mainly on gang activity and numerous gang-related shootings in West Dayton.

But the tagging of numerous East Dayton businesses on Thursday, June 25, has caught the attention and the concern of Safe Streets detectives.

“We pay attention to active and violent gangs, that’s all I can say,” Dayton Detective Chad Knight said.

The gang, also known as Sur 13 or Sur Trece’, is rooted in California and is a subgroup of Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13, one of the largest and most violent street gangs in the country, according to the FBI.

MS-13 members have been identified by the Montgomery Sheriff’s Office and the Safe Streets Task Force.

There have been bubbling feuds in the area between MS-13 and Surenos, but nothing significant, Knight said.

“A lot of the incidents go unreported because these gangs prey on (Hispanic) victims that are living (in the U.S.) illegally,” Knight said.

The FBI maintains that Hispanic gang members often join Sureños (which, translated, means southerner) or arch rival Norteños (northerner) when they enter prison systems.

Both MS-13 and Sur 13 have had a deadly decades-long feud with the Norteños gang, which is rooted in northern California.

Knight said rival tags referencing Norteños have been found on buildings in the city, but its nearest faction is in Columbus

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you not already have a gun nick?

Never thought about it in my life until last year. I've never needed one until I started getting paranoid this past year. Before then all I carried was my fists, feet, and elbows for my protection and rarely ever had to use those. Nowadays it's different unfortunately.:nono:

After you buy one, get to the shooting range and get very familiar with it. Fumbling around trying to get the clip in at 2am is not fun. I have my license and carry one quite often.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely have one of my babyboomer buddies who have shot their whole life teach me. I'm not one to just dive into a deadly scenario without practice first. :)

Yeah I was told to get one for home defense. Most of the time once they hear the pump they go running I was told. But damn...I'd be deaf for a week shooting one in my house. :eek:

It will make a mess, but is a great way to clear a dark room.

I mean, I don't know why, but I have never been scared of a hispanic. They just don't seem like a group of people that want to make me cower.

Now asian people, thats a scary group of people right there. I think they are all secretely ninja's.

*note to self, do not pass "GO", proceed directly to hell.*

I mean, I don't know why, but I have never been scared of a hispanic. They just don't seem like a group of people that want to make me cower.

Now asian people, thats a scary group of people right there. I think they are all secretely ninja's.

*note to self, do not pass "GO", proceed directly to hell.*

I'll be in hell right beside you. I have a Lake-of-Fire front condo with no central air with my name already on the Forever lease.