Suzuki Boulevard M109 Or Yamaha Raider?

NightRider

So in about 2-3 weeks i'll be going out and purchasing/financing a new motorcycle. I have been looking at the sportbikes, but realized i'm more suited for a cruiser.

I have looked the at the Honda Fury's. Very nice looking bikes. Just too slow. 50-56 hp starting at 12,999. No thanks. I think i have it narrowed down to 2 bikes. Either a Suzuki m109....or a Yamaha Raider. I personally think they both look great, both have over 100 hp. Some dislike the pipes on the raider, i like them. I could get a M109 for 8-10k, and a Raider for 12-15.

So....thoughts, opinions, suggestions. All welcome. Just having a hard time deciding.

Pics of bikes!

M109

93541593_3thumb_550x410.jpg

93541593_5thumb_550x410.jpg

RAIDER

Raider.jpg

08RaiderRProfileBlack.jpg

Decisions!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M109. Or you could do what I did and have the best of both worlds... FZ6 or FZ1...aka comfort AND speed.

I sat on a sportbike for the 1st time, Friday. Way too much leaning forward, i could do it for riding around town....but taking a trip or long rides...not gonna happen. What's the riding stance like on those?

Personal preference would be the Raider. Have you looked at the Vulcan? Depending on year they are anywhere between 1500 and 2000 cc, styling is similar to the Raider but less swept on the tank (see my pictures if you want a sense, mine's an 800 but they all look very similar if you get the custom editions).

IMO the M109 is too bastardized... tries to be retro from the tank back, and futuristic from tank forward.... I just don't like it, but if you're looking for the futuristic take a look at the VMax I fucking love that bike...

Either way, all of this is just my opinion!

What do you like best for style, Retro? Chopper? Spaceship?

What's more important, style or power, mix of both?

What kind of features do you want? FI, SoftTail, luggage?

And seriously..... WHAT'S COMFORTABLE?! I can't stress that enough, I wish someone warned me when I bought my cruiser it's NOT a couch... it's much more comfortable than a sport bike (only my opinion) but what feels good on the floor quickly starts hurting.

But lastly, let me know when you get your cruiser, we'll go for a nice ride , we could meet up in Canton or you can come up closer to me and do a ride through the Canal Way.

I sat on a sportbike for the 1st time, Friday. Way too much leaning forward, i could do it for riding around town....but taking a trip or long rides...not gonna happen. What's the riding stance like on those?

its like a sport bike with dirtbike bars and risers and rearsets that are about halfway between sportbike and cruiser. pretty darn comfy actually. Any Yami dealer should have one in stock...go sit on one...youll see what I mean. Its like sitting straight up compared to a pure sport bike.

They are "standard position" (as are a lot of the tourings), heels are (for the most part) directly below your hips, personally I'm not a big fan, my knees aren't wonderful so I like to be able to keep them straighter.

Personal preference would be the Raider. Have you looked at the Vulcan? Depending on year they are anywhere between 1500 and 2000 cc, styling is similar to the Raider but less swept on the tank (see my pictures if you want a sense, mine's an 800 but they all look very similar if you get the custom editions).

IMO the M109 is too bastardized... tries to be retro from the tank back, and futuristic from tank forward.... I just don't like it, but if you're looking for the futuristic take a look at the VMax I fucking love that bike...

Either way, all of this is just my opinion!

What do you like best for style, Retro? Chopper? Spaceship?

What's more important, style or power, mix of both?

What kind of features do you want? FI, SoftTail, luggage?

And seriously..... WHAT'S COMFORTABLE?! I can't stress that enough, I wish someone warned me when I bought my cruiser it's NOT a couch... it's much more comfortable than a sport bike (only my opinion) but what feels good on the floor quickly starts hurting.

But lastly, let me know when you get your cruiser, we'll go for a nice ride , we could meet up in Canton or you can come up closer to me and do a ride through the Canal Way.

No offense brother, but the only Vulcan i would consider owning would be the mean streak. This look just doesn't do it for me. Just looks to run of the mill.

93863915_1thumb_550x410.jpg

Ohhh...trust me i'm with you on the Vmax's. Old and new. Love them both. 200 hp for the new ones. 17-19k bike though.

I prefer the more chopperish look. Something that stands out from the crowd. If the Fury, was a little faster...it would definitely be a tough choice. 50hp just isn't gonna cut it.

Me....i'm a power guy, but...it can't look like shit either. So a mix of both.

Not really worried about Fi, but most new bikes are. Aren't they? I just need some nice looking soft saddle bags and i'm good. No gaudy looking hard luggage.

I have sat on BOTH of these bikes. Both felt good. I sat on a v-rod. That was uncomfortable. I felt like the tank was in my chest.

Absolutely man. I haven't been on a bike of my own in a LONG time. Been looking forward to getting out their and ripping up some roads. How far is northfield from Canal?

Ohhh...trust me i'm with you on the Vmax's. Old and new. Love them both. 200 hp for the new ones. 17-19k bike though.

They appear to hit a wall around 145ish, and he couldn't keep up before then, but after that point it got really bad :( not too impressed for '200HP' considering I put down 153 later that same afternoon.

No offense taken man, it's YOUR bike!

Northfield to Canton is 40 miles, Northfield to Boston Mills is about 5 miles, not sure if you meant Canton or Canal (not sure where Canal is).

FWIW, Raider over M109 (said it before ;) ), but either way, my buddy has a Suzuki C50 and he really likes it.

Edited by Likwid

They appear to hit a wall around 145ish, and he couldn't keep up before then, but after that point it got really bad :( not too impressed for '200HP' considering I put down 153 later that same afternoon.

Your saying the NEW vmax wouldn't go over 145? That is :(

No offense taken man, it's YOUR bike!

Northfield to Canton is 40 miles, Northfield to Boston Mills is about 5 miles, not sure if you meant Canton or Canal (not sure where Canal is).

FWIW, Raider over M109 (said it before ;) ), my buddy has a Suzuki C50 and he really likes it.

Oh you just meant canal way, i thought you meant Canal Winchester. I think canton is about an hr and a half-2 hrs away from me.

The raider, is a little pricey. With the 109 i would be saving 4-7k.

Your saying the NEW vmax wouldn't go over 145? That is :(

I'm not saying it wouldn't, but it sure seemed to run out of steam at that point, I was kinda disapointed since my bike is stock :( I love the old ones, and had allot of hope for the new ones, he had cans on it at least, some fancy carbon fibre ones, think V&H?

I'm not saying it wouldn't, but it sure seemed to run out of steam at that point, I was kinda disapointed since my bike is stock :( I love the old ones, and had allot of hope for the new ones, he had cans on it at least, some fancy carbon fibre ones, think V&H?

Do you know the guy personally? Maybe...he doesn't know how to properly ride the bike? lol. :D If that is the case, 200hp for 145 mph is a little sad. I love the old ones too. I'm not not an exhaust guy, so wouldn't know.

yamaha_vmax_2009.jpg

Did it look like this...or?

Did it at least sound good?

I was looking at the VMax online yesterday... one of the features is "shortened intake at high rpm" which sounds a lot like VTec in Hondas (I'm not very mechanically inclined so pardon the ignorance)....

Maybe you were in too high a gear (although 145 is pretty fast to be in anything but top gear lol)!

Do you know the guy personally? Maybe...he doesn't know how to properly ride the bike? lol. :D If that is the case, 200hp for 145 mph is a little sad. I love the old ones too. I'm not not an exhaust guy, so wouldn't know.

yamaha_vmax_2009.jpg

Did it look like this...or?

Did it at least sound good?

Oh I thought it wounded good, It was a new one for sure it took me a glance or two.

It was some Yahoo we ran into on the scavanger hunt on our way down to Dayton felt the need to pass us at WOT, so I bit, we slowed to about 60 and nailed it. wasn't ugly, but wasn't pretty either.

Oh I thought it wounded good, It was a new one for sure it took me a glance or two.

It was some Yahoo we ran into on the scavanger hunt on our way down to Dayton felt the need to pass us at WOT, so I bit, we slowed to about 60 and nailed it. wasn't ugly, but wasn't pretty either.

Well then he got what he deserved then. I was looking at an older one Friday (a 99) and i didn't know they had the gas opening in the seat. A little velcro pouch, over the cap. Would definitely need to make sure you weren't dripping anything.

Both are great bikes. The Raider handles a little better and has better brakes. The 109 makes a little more power. As stated before the 109 is liquid cooled but is shaft driven which takes some getting used to. Both bikes have a litttle bit of attitude and are alot of fun. For the price difference go with the 109 all day long.

BTW my experience with these 2 bikes? I owned a 109 and work at a yamaha dealership.

Both are great bikes. The Raider handles a little better and has better brakes. The 109 makes a little more power. As stated before the 109 is liquid cooled but is shaft driven which takes some getting used to. Both bikes have a litttle bit of attitude and are alot of fun. For the price difference go with the 109 all day long.

BTW my experience with these 2 bikes? I owned a 109 and work at a yamaha dealership.

Well the Raider is belt and the 109 is shaft. I've only ridden chain and shaft, no belts yet. I think i'm gonna stick with a zuki. I've been riding an s83....and it's fun. So...more power with the m109 = :D

Guess your a Suzuki fan too.

Dang dude. Going straight for the Big Leagues.

Good luck with the Hunt.

lol. You act like there's another way to go man! This will be my 1st new/newish bike so...gotta make the best of it.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

there is a c109 also... if you want classic cruiser looks with a power band...

Yeah i've taken a look at those. Personally, i like the M better. I could see you on a C moose. :cheers: