Trooper Clocked at 147!!!

jporter12

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with that being said, if I witness a marked cruiser hit his lights just to blow past the intersection, can I send them a citation for reckless operation and failure to obey?

no, because you have no idea what type of call that officer is responding to. believe it or not most LEOs dont go through lights just to get the fresh donuts at the local Dunkin' Donuts. Go do a ride along with a fairly active department and you will have a better understanding of police operations. :D

no, because you have no idea what type of call that officer is responding to. believe it or not most LEOs dont go through lights just to get the fresh donuts at the local Dunkin' Donuts. Go do a ride along with a fairly active department and you will have a better understanding of police operations. :D

I understand your point, but I've seen a few cruisers blip their lights, blow through the intersection, then shut the lights off and slow to normal traffic speed. If that's responding to an emergency call, I'd hate to have an emergency in their jurisdiction.

On ABC 6 they said the Gahanna cop, Christopher Thomas, has been on injury leave since December of last year. He was injured on duty. How was he injured you ask? Um, he slipped on ice. He's been on paid leave since this horrific and no doubt traumatizing accident. LOL.

If your job was loss prevention at Walmart, and you got arrested for shoplifting at Meijers on the weekend, how long do you think you'd keep your job?

How about if you were a trucker, and racked up a few DUI's? Still employed?

So, how is it this guy flagrantly breaks a law he in charge of enforcing daily (that results in crippling fines and jail time for normal people) will likely keep his job?

He might be a fucking saint in real life, but I have no love for someone who makes their living tagging speeders and then does shit off duty like this.

I am not saying he right. I believe he should not lose his job, but if he loses his license then he cannot perform his job, reassignment at least. He was doing exactly what every member of this board has done. Seeing what his bike could do, speeding. It isn't like he was robbing banks or beating his wife.

I understand your point, but I've seen a few cruisers blip their lights, blow through the intersection, then shut the lights off and slow to normal traffic speed. If that's responding to an emergency call, I'd hate to have an emergency in their jurisdiction.

some calls that LEOs go to are called basically code 2 calls....example...you have a fellow officer pulling over a car with someone that is known to have a warrant. now...the backup officer cant run lights and sirens to back the initiating officer up(unless the guy starts to run), so they go code 2 status which is...using your lights to get through traffic lights to get there at a spirited pace yet not running code 3(lights and sirens) to get to backup your fellow officer. now this does vary by department but if my backup officer has to use his lights through an intersection while not causing complete alarm to every citizen on the street...i want a fellow officer there asap no matter how many lights he goes through with his lights on. and other calls....we dont want the 'bad' guys to know we are coming.

some calls that LEOs go to are called basically code 2 calls....example...you have a fellow officer pulling over a car with someone that is known to have a warrant. now...the backup officer cant run lights and sirens to back the initiating officer up(unless the guy starts to run), so they go code 2 status which is...using your lights to get through traffic lights to get there at a spirited pace yet not running code 3(lights and sirens) to get to backup your fellow officer. now this does vary by department but if my backup officer has to use his lights through an intersection while not causing complete alarm to every citizen on the street...i want a fellow officer there asap no matter how many lights he goes through with his lights on. and other calls....we dont want the 'bad' guys to know we are coming.

Sooo code 2 = doughnuts are coming out but not quite there, you have time and code 3 = they are done and gonna be cold?? j/k

I grew up in a smallish town in the middle of a cornfield and we saw cops blowing red lights all the time...only to see them sitting there bs'ing w/ the other cop on duty, or a buddy at McD's or something. So I guess maybe the better question would be, is if I witness this and send it "somewhere" are these codes logged and confirmed??

Just asking, you folks do a job I wouldnt want in a million years and I appreciate that. In all the times I've been pulled over in the last 20+ years only 2 cops that I remember were complete douches, but I have seen some do very questionable things like asked above. Now in said small town where I grew up the last thing you wanted to do was piss off one of the few cops there, but I don't live there anymore and don't drive like the idiot teenager I was then so I wanna :flingpoo:

Sooo code 2 = doughnuts are coming out but not quite there, you have time and code 3 = they are done and gonna be cold?? j/k

I grew up in a smallish town in the middle of a cornfield and we saw cops blowing red lights all the time...only to see them sitting there bs'ing w/ the other cop on duty, or a buddy at McD's or something. So I guess maybe the better question would be, is if I witness this and send it "somewhere" are these codes logged and confirmed??

Just asking, you folks do a job I wouldnt want in a million years and I appreciate that. In all the times I've been pulled over in the last 20+ years only 2 cops that I remember were complete douches, but I have seen some do very questionable things like asked above. Now in said small town where I grew up the last thing you wanted to do was piss off one of the few cops there, but I don't live there anymore and don't drive like the idiot teenager I was then so I wanna :flingpoo:

haha code 3 for donuts go! go! go! dont let them get cold!!!!!! haha j/k i actually refuse to eat a donut on duty...damn stereotype haha! as for if anything is logged...the type of call or something that is going on will be logged almost 95% of the time, it could be everything from a domestic in progress, car stop in need of backup, warrant check, etc, etc. there are the ones that give all other LEOs bad names to bust a light to go bs with other LEOs, oh well. lol

I am not saying he right. I believe he should not lose his job, but if he loses his license then he cannot perform his job, reassignment at least. He was doing exactly what every member of this board has done. Seeing what his bike could do, speeding. It isn't like he was robbing banks or beating his wife.
Sure.. but how many other riders on this board took an oath to uphold the laws of this state? I know I didn't.. if I did then the rules would change. An oath is an oath.. if it means nothing to you then don't take the job.

:rulez:

Said it better than I could have.

http://10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/07/08/story_trooper_plea.html?sid=102

Highsmith hoped to put the ordeal behind him by paying his $150 fine but a judge called his driving reckless and warned that Highsmith's license could be suspended for up to three years, Hirsch reported.

This link has video of the arraignment hearing.

Speeding trooper reassigned -- to traffic enforcement

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20090709/UPDATES01/307090002/1002/NEWS01

COLUMBUS — In an ironic twist, an Ohio Highway Patrol trooper who was busted going 82 mph over the speed limit has been reassigned to traffic enforcement.

Patrol Lt. Shawn Davis said Trooper Jason Highsmith, who was clocked at 147 mph while riding a motorcycle June 28 on Interstate 70 in Licking Township, is no longer a member of the OHP¹s Motorcycle Unit.

He has been reassigned to the Delaware Post, where he will be conducting traffic enforcement in a cruiser, Davis said.

When asked, Davis said "traffic enforcement" does include ticketing for speeding violations.

The patrol changed its wait-and-see position on the citation after Highsmith pleaded not guilty during his arraignment this morning in Licking County Municipal Court.

Davis said because the case was not resolved quickly the patrol decided to take internal action.

Highsmith's long-term future with the patrol remains largely dependent on the outcome of his court case.

It would be "too speculative" to make any statement on Highsmith's job prospects with the patrol should his license be suspended as Judge David Branstool said he was inclined to do.

"If a state trooper loses all driving privileges that is definitely problematic," Davis said.

He later added in reference to a work allowance, "If there was no restrictions put on by the judge that would prohibit him from conducting his job as a state trooper, then he could be allowed to continue to work the road." That decision would ultimately be up to the commanding officers at the Columbus OHP district, Davis said.

Gotta love Columbus journalism, filled 1/4 of that segment with some drag racer saying he likes to go fast.

It looks like he's going to get his. He was boxed into the not guilty plea by the judge who would have otherwise suspended his license had he plead guilty. I can only imagine since he's contesting it by pleading not guilty, but has curiously already confessed in open court, the judge is bound to give him his just deserves.

I don't think he or anyone else would have many options at this point. Sure he screwed up and got caught. But if it were us, would we be willing to plead guilty to something that will most likely cost us our jobs and maybe career for a while? If it had been a lower speeding ticket and the judge hadn't threatened him like that, I bet he would have plead...paid the fine and been done with it. But when your staking your family and whole life on it...thats a bit different. And yes, thats something he and we all take into account when we go out on our bikes. I'll be the first one to say I've went triple digits before, but we all are willing to take risks. Its just comes down to what we feel is acceptable and are willing to risk in doing it. And he bit off a little more then he should have.

Edited by SJC1000rr

I don't think he or anyone else would have many options at this point. Sure he screwed up and got caught. But if it were us, would we be willing to plead guilty to something that will most likely cost us our jobs and maybe career for a while? If it had been a lower speeding ticket and the judge hadn't threatened him like that, I bet he would have plead...paid the fine and been done with it. But when your staking your family and whole life on it...thats a bit different. And yes, thats something he and we all take into account when we go out on our bikes. I'll be the first one to say I've went triple digits before, but we all are willing to take risks. Its just comes down to what we feel is acceptable and are willing to risk in doing it.

Do you think it's acceptable for a sworn officer of the law to willfully and egregiously break his oath to defend and uphold the laws of Ohio? And in doing so on a public road, risk the lives and property of those around him?

I sure as hell don't.

Do you think it's acceptable for a sworn officer of the law to willfully and egregiously break his oath to defend and uphold the laws of Ohio? And in doing so on a public road, risk the lives and property of those around him?

I sure as hell don't.

Well I am glad I have found THE first non human on earth, maybe I will get a parade.

Dude who cares, we all make decisions and suffer their consequences and he got what was coming to him and the fact that you dont like it doesnt matter.

Well I am glad I have found THE first non human on earth, maybe I will get a parade.

Dude who cares, we all make decisions and suffer their consequences and he got what was coming to him and the fact that you dont like it doesnt matter.

I'm simply parroting the exact things we hear from law enforcement/judges when we speed. You're right though, the fact that I don't like what he did doesn't matter. For the record though, he hasn't gotten anything yet since he plead not guilty.

:plus1: