Trooper Clocked at 147!!!

jporter12

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the importance of this ticket to his job I'd be hiring a good lawyer. Never gone that fast myself, but a professional can pick that apart and probably find something missing in the process.

Agreed that there's almost always a loophole, but if this guy gets off with going 147, I'm using whatever he had as a defense in every speeding ticket I get. If it's good enough for a LEO to get off the hook being clocked dead to rights at that speed, it'll be good enough for me going 85.

http://10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/07/08/story_trooper_plea.html?sid=102

The Newark Advocate reported Wednesday that Highsmith, 35, was riding along side an off-duty Gahanna police officer who was clocked at 149 mph.

Did the other off-duty officer get a ticket too? Was he not pulled over, or did he commit a felony by fleeing and eluding?

http://10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/07/08/story_trooper_plea.html?sid=102

Did the other off-duty officer get a ticket too? Was he not pulled over, or did he commit a felony by fleeing and eluding?

From the article:

Officer Christopher Thomas was scheduled to appear in court next week, the newspaper reported.

I'm assuming that that's the other guy.

^Huh, I wonder about that part. Did his buddy give him up or did he just say "yeah it was me." I was under the impression that if you aren't ID'd and they try to deliver a ticket to the address the veh is titled under you the 5th is your friend.

^Huh, I wonder about that part. Did his buddy give him up or did he just say "yeah it was me." I was under the impression that if you aren't ID'd and they try to deliver a ticket to the address the veh is titled under you the 5th is your friend.

It's a double edged sword. Which man law is most important??

Never leave a buddy behind? Never give up your buddy to the cops?

doesnt work that way haha

And in the end, these guys are only going to court because of the mandatory 30mph+ over....they will get a fine in the end and that is all. it is only a minor misdemeanor ticket. no other punishment other than a fine is permitted by law. as for discipline in their agency, im sure their ranking officers will not be pleased but an MM is very minor infraction when it comes down to it the law itself on a scale of crimes from MM-Felony...unlike some officers who get in fights off duty or etc that are charged with M1's and M2's. oh well. and for everyone who claims they would be treated different since they are not LEOs...thats not necessarily true...i am assuming these guys have a pretty clean driving record and that goes a long way.

Edited by OfcMav

where there is a will, there is a way, even when we register our vehicles or change our address on our license to the headquarters....perps will always find a way. but the perp will have a rude awakening if they try anything here...both me and the fiance are LEOs....they will be having a very very bad day...

Amen!

So if a ticket is delivered to me that says my veh was traveling 150 mph but no one was ID'd or only a general description may have been given (and I have several friends who are also about 6' and caucasian with access to my bike) then how would it be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be me? Just curious, looking at this from both sides including maybe someone I know does something dumb on my bike and I find out later.

Of course this is all a moot point in this scenario as the guy probably gave him up.

So if a ticket is delivered to me that says my veh was traveling 150 mph but no one was ID'd or only a general description may have been given (and I have several friends who are also about 6' and caucasian with access to my bike) then how would it be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be me? Just curious, looking at this from both sides including maybe someone I know does something dumb on my bike and I find out later.

Of course this is all a moot point in this scenario as the guy probably gave him up.

Well are you saying by a 3rd party or are you asking if an LEO personally observed you and got the correct plate with matching vehicle that the plate returns to?

Well I know the 3rd party is much flimsier. Either way it would be observing a geared person on the bike with a tinted shield and without making a stop at that time.

As it pertains to a citation...if the vehicle is registered to you, you are ultimately responsible for any and all infractions committed on the bike, whether it was you or not. Now as for a defense in court, that is a different story and that is where it should be disputed. but an LEO can cite for infractions even if your identity was not confirmed. Thats exactly how the traffic light cams work...same principle. Crappy principle but the same

Sorry, reading > me.

Officer Thomas' ticket was written two days later. That suggests they had to track him down after the fact. Naughty.

VERY suspect. If he ran, or "didn't see him" because he was doing 150, I firmly expect the book to be thrown at him. Absolutely no excuse for that.

Aren't traffic light camera tickets a civil infraction rather than a MM?

I thought this too, you can request a trial for a MM but not for a "administrative" infraction like a red light camera ticket.

Word.. I use to get some solid arrests off of wreckless high speeds in the past.. damn the ORC sometimes :grin:

its true, for everyone else, thats why some officers pull over people for no turn signal, bustest tailights, and other misc infractions...maybe not because they are a dick but prolly because they are looking for something more and you happen to look like a dirtbag that just made a traffic violation;) haha now issuing a citation after said stop without finding say crack, tar, or any other misc felony is a dick move. ok off my soap box. sorry all. :popcorn:

I thought this too, you can request a trial for a MM but not for a "administrative" infraction like a red light camera ticket.

i was just using this as an example albeit a poor choice because of the civil tie ins, it is just the same principle when a police officer does the observing. heck if i am off duty in my jurisdiction and i see a vehicle operating in a reckless manner and almost causing accidents and possible serious physical injury to another, i can send them a ticket in the mail. just food for thought.

i was just using this as an example albeit a poor choice because of the civil tie ins, it is just the same principle when a police officer does the observing. heck if i am off duty in my jurisdiction and i see a vehicle operating in a reckless manner and almost causing accidents and possible serious physical injury to another, i can send them a ticket in the mail. just food for thought.

So with that being said, if I witness a marked cruiser hit his lights just to blow past the intersection, can I send them a citation for reckless operation and failure to obey?

Thats exactly how the traffic light cams work...same principle. Crappy principle but the same

arent the traffic cams contracted to be operated by an outside company?

i know in some other states, they dont even send you a real ticket... more of a "snitch ticket" kinda thing where it LOOKS official, but its really not and they just hope you will be dumb enough to pay it.

also, regarding sending a ticket in the mail... whats the chance it would get thrown out in court? or do you just bank on the hope that people will not try to fight it and just pay the thing?

Edited by John