Stopped for having visor up?!

F4iBunny

What I've learned from this thread...

1. Apparently on OR, you can pull up and perpetuate a thread that was created 2min. after the site itself was launched... Hot-damn this was a long time ago!

2. And on a more serious note: I NEVER knew that wearing eye protection was law. Granted it makes perfect sense... I mean, why wouldn't you protect your eyes from debris while traveling through space at 40+ MPH? I guess coming from a state with mandatory helmet laws, moving here and seeing riders with NO cranium protection, I just assumed that OH was the hedonism of motorcycling and any and all clothing/accessories were deemed "optional". Honorable mention to PA, Del, and the other states.

As previousley noted by Scruit. According to the Ohio Administrative Code 4501-17-04 Protective eye devices, it is.

4501-17-04 Protective eye devices.

(A) “Goggles” : a device consisting of glass or plastic eye pieces or eye-cups; commonly manufactured for and used by motorcycle operators and passengers; held in place by a headband or temple piece; provided with shields at the sides; with lenses made of safety glass; all of which provide adequate and reliable protection of the eyes from debris, wind, moisture, light, dust, cold, or any combination of these or other elements.

(B) “Face shield” : a protective device attached to a helmet that covers the wearer’s face at least to a point approximating the tip of the nose, designed to provide adequate and reliable protection of the eyes from debris, wind, moisture, light, dust, cold, or any combination of these or other elements.

© “Windscreen” : a transparent device mounted on a motorcycle forward of the operator designed to deflect wind and/or objects from the body and face of the operator and passenger, and which is of such a height, construction, and durability as to actually protect the riders when seated in a normal riding position for the particular vehicle being operated.

(D) “Spectacles” : ordinary eye pieces with lenses made of safety glass when worn or used by an operator or passenger on a motorcycle.

(E) All of the above when used individually or in combination shall constitute protective eye devices.

(F) Such protective eye devices shall consist of a transparent, shatter-resistant material so manufactured, fabricated, or treated as to substantially prevent shattering or flying when struck or broken.

R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/09/2010 and 03/09/2015

Promulgated Under: 119.03

Statutory Authority: R.C. 4511.53, R.C. 4511.521

Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4511.53, R.C. 4511.521

Prior Effective Dates: 1/2/85 (Emer.), 4/3/68, 7/1/85

May I suggest you copy and print this section and keep it with your insurance and registration. Should an LEO stop you for this reason, please feel free to show him the section.

And then tell us how the tazing went.

if the visor was covering your eyes then he should have not pulled you over I ride with it cracked all the time for air when I wear a lid!

picture.php?albumid=1298&pictureid=14058&thumb=1

The letter of the law states that the face shield must reach the tip of your nose. The face shield in the pic could probably be 1/3 open and still reach your nose.

My tongue can reach the tip of my nose. That's right ladies.. and I can breathe through my ears.

OK you owe me a new keyboard; just spit beer all over it....:bow:

Harassing people for flipping their shield up while stopped is just idiotic, law or not.

Personally, if I leave my shield down while stopped, I'm more dangerous to myself and anyone in front of me, because I can't see anything once my glasses & shield get fogged up.

I guess this is yet another example of the pilot's axiom 'Legal is not always safe, and safe is not always legal'.

I've been in LE for 20 years and although I've never pulled anyone over for that traffic offense in particular, they are usually trying to find something more (suspended license, drugs, outstanding warrants, whatever). Most "real' crimes like burglary, robbery, etc. rarely are caught in the act since it's a lot of luck on being there right when it happens because the criminal has time to escape. Wouldn't you pick a crime that your chances of getting caught are low? That's why bank robberies are rare - low pay-off and high risk. Plus, some cops have it out for bikers (and truckers). Not saying it's right, just a fact. Idiots span all sorts of career fields - doctors, mechanics and especially lawyers. ha! I've been pulled over and questioned like I was a thug only to see the look on their face when they realize I'm a cop. I don't let it bother me because you can't fix stupid and technically they are doing their job. I've caught a lot of "real" criminals (wanted murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc. from enforcing "stupid" laws like one headlight out. Our legislators that we elected make the laws as stupid as they are sometimes. So, I suggest you lobby to have it taken off the books if you don't agree with it. Just my take from the other side.

I had a similar thing happen years ago i was wearing a leather jacket jeans boots gaunlet style glove a full face helmet and was riding with my visor up..I was with a buuddy of mine wearing shorts a cut off shirt tennis shoes. and sunglasses... the cop told e if i was going above 35 I needed eye protection.. I couldn't believe it..

I've caught a lot of "real" criminals (wanted murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc. from enforcing "stupid" laws like one headlight out.

I hear that argument a lot, but playing Devil's Advicate for a moment:

I'm sure you would catch even more if you were allowed to randomly stop and search anyone you wanted. Or read the mail/email/tap phones of anyone. Or if you could install cameras an microphones in everyone's houses? You'd catch a lot of criminals then.

By casting your net wider you will catch more criminals, but you'll also net disproportionately more normal people who are just going about their lives in good faith.

I recognize that this country has a higher standard for pulling people over (in the UK the police can pull over anyone they want for a "Documents Check") and I am thankful for that. I just hope we're not headed in a direction were laws illegalize trivial bullshit for the sake of providing justification to stop us. Next thing you know it'll be illegal to drive in the left 12" of the lane on a tuesday if you're in a blue car.

I hear that argument a lot, but playing Devil's Advicate for a moment:

I'm sure you would catch even more if you were allowed to randomly stop and search anyone you wanted. Or read the mail/email/tap phones of anyone. Or if you could install cameras an microphones in everyone's houses? You'd catch a lot of criminals then.

By casting your net wider you will catch more criminals, but you'll also net disproportionately more normal people who are just going about their lives in good faith.

I recognize that this country has a higher standard for pulling people over (in the UK the police can pull over anyone they want for a "Documents Check") and I am thankful for that. I just hope we're not headed in a direction were laws illegalize trivial bullshit for the sake of providing justification to stop us. Next thing you know it'll be illegal to drive in the left 12" of the lane on a tuesday if you're in a blue car.

Note to self... Don't buy any blue cars! :lol:

On a serious note, most LEO's are good with profiling. I'm sure that's not what they call it, and that it would be illegal, but we all have to admit that there are some vehicles that would be much more likely to have a criminal driving them than others. I had my plates ran one time because the LEO said I looked like a scared deer when I looked over as I rolled past him. I was driving under a suspended license. I don't like it per se, but it is what works!

I've been in LE for 20 years and although I've never pulled anyone over for that traffic offense in particular, they are usually trying to find something more (suspended license, drugs, outstanding warrants, whatever). Most "real' crimes like burglary, robbery, etc. rarely are caught in the act since it's a lot of luck on being there right when it happens because the criminal has time to escape. Wouldn't you pick a crime that your chances of getting caught are low? That's why bank robberies are rare - low pay-off and high risk. Plus, some cops have it out for bikers (and truckers). Not saying it's right, just a fact. Idiots span all sorts of career fields - doctors, mechanics and especially lawyers. ha! I've been pulled over and questioned like I was a thug only to see the look on their face when they realize I'm a cop. I don't let it bother me because you can't fix stupid and technically they are doing their job. I've caught a lot of "real" criminals (wanted murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc. from enforcing "stupid" laws like one headlight out. Our legislators that we elected make the laws as stupid as they are sometimes. So, I suggest you lobby to have it taken off the books if you don't agree with it. Just my take from the other side.

3 years ago, Marion PD picked up a murderer, who was disposing of the body (it was wrapped in plastic in the rear of his Explorer), after they stopped him for a no front plate violation.

I cannot count the number of suspended drivers, warrants, DUIs, and the like I have gotten from turn signal, no plate light, and similar violations. Also got an escapee from the Crawford County Jail on a pedestrian violation for jaywalking; and picked up a rape warrant on a guy who had no red reflector on his bike at night.

The "scared looking like a deer" comment is amusing, because that's a great way to predict who is gonna be arrested before you even stop the car. That, and the guy who glares at you like he wants to kill you; and the guy who wears a hoodie up in 70 degree weather as he drive past...

The "scared looking like a deer" comment is amusing, because that's a great way to predict who is gonna be arrested before you even stop the car. That, and the guy who glares at you like he wants to kill you; and the guy who wears a hoodie up in 70 degree weather as he drive past...

...or the guy who does everything in his power to not look at you where you're sat next to him at a light.

I rode by a cop in a town square once (he was on foot) and he motioned to put my visor down.... (I wasn't wearing sunglasses as it was a little cloudy)...

I had NO idea what he was doing until I about 10-15 seconds later.

I rode by a cop in a town square once (he was on foot) and he motioned to put my visor down.... (I wasn't wearing sunglasses as it was a little cloudy)...

I had NO idea what he was doing until I about 10-15 seconds later.

And your 'notice of appreciation' (ticket) is in the mail.....:D

...or the guy who does everything in his power to not look at you where you're sat next to him at a light.

lol so what? am i supposed to stare at them then?

i dont really look at people next to me at lights. i may glance over for a second, usually not though....

because i dont really give a shit who is next to me.

lol so what? am i supposed to stare at them then?

i dont really look at people next to me at lights. i may glance over for a second, usually not though....

because i dont really give a shit who is next to me.

This is different than someone next to you in traffic when you are both civillians. At that point I consider eye contact to be a challenge and get out and brutally murder the other guy with a spork. :mad:

An officer is going to be taking greater interest in the cars around him and he's looking for minorities to taze, and if he looks over and you're hiding your face or spend the whole light cycle staring through your passenger window because he's on your left... Well... They he may just consider you to be an honorary minority until he can wear out the batteries in his X26. :D

• Upvote 1

An officer is going to be taking greater interest in the cars around him and he's looking for minorities to taze,

LOL

and if he looks over and you're hiding your face or spend the whole light cycle staring through your passenger window because he's on your left... Well... They he may just consider you to be an honorary minority until he can wear out the batteries in his X26. :D

he shoulda seen the hot chick that was standing on the corner to my right ;)

Wow, now all cops are racists that want to taze people? I must have missed that day in the academy.

Pay attention. They make it easy for you to tell who to taze by making us talk with funny accents or have dark skin. Dark skin AND funny accent = you get to use the shotgun tazer in his mansack.

Tazing protocol 101:

"Ola Amigo." = TAZE

"Could you direct me and my black friends to a place where I can engage in the purchase and/or sale of unlicensed pharmaceuticals?" = TAZE twice.

"Jolly good show old chap." = Potentially taze - if the limey bastard is being followed by drooling American girls who think his accent is dreamy.

"Excuse me officer, but could you direct me an my white male friends to the golf tournament" = DO NOT TAZE, unles he shouts "Don't taze me bro".

"Bad cop, no donut" / "I pay your salary" / "Why don't you catch some real criminals" etc = Just attach jumper cables from your alternator to his nuts and nipples and rev the engine until you run out of gas. Call backup to bring more gas.

Did that make it more clear for you?

• Upvote 1

I like to ride around with my visor cracked when its really hot out. The bad thing about that is, Bees ALWAYS manage to make it through that tiny crack. If i didn't have a modular helmet, I would have crashed by now from a bee having his way with my face.

Man, Helmets are dangerous i tell ya!