Adventure Bikes the US will Never see

buildit

EVA Track T800: a 2WD, biodiesel-powered adventure motorcycle

A Dutch company known as EVA has been working on a new diesel-powered adventure tourer for the last few years, and the machines are reportedly ready for sales in Europe. A 54-horsepower oil-burner that's capable of running on biofuels is a great start, and the standard CVT transmission and optional two-wheel drive are icing on the cake. Fuel mileage of 100 miles per gallon at a steady 55 mph is the result, and a six gallon tank means that range will never be a problem.

track_motorcycle_450.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------

27564_0_1_2_allroad_Image%20credits%20-%20Highland.jpg

Model:Highland AllroadYear:2008

Displacement:936.00 ccm (57.11 cubic inches)Engine type:Single cylinderStroke:4Power:85.00 HP (62.0 kW)) @ 6000 RPMTorque:104.00 Nm (10.6 kgf-m or 76.7 ft.lbs) @ 4000 RPMCompression:11.0:1Bore x stroke:95.0 x 66.0 mm (3.7 x 2.6 inches)Ignition:Highland integrated engine management system with ignition coils fitted directly on the spark plugsStarter:ElectricCooling system:LiquidGearbox:6-speedTransmission type

final drive:Chain

• 3 weeks later...

I'd sell the Strom in about a second if the 660 Tenere came here.

I guess if any company "might" do it, it would be Yamaha, they brought over the FJR based on requests from the US.

http://static.blogo.it/motoblog/yamaha-xt660z-tenere-2008/big_yamaha_xt660z_tenere_08_23.jpg

Edited by Casper
Linked to image because it was too big.

Unfortunately, or importation & emission standards are the real culprit that keep a larger variety of bikes elsewhere, but the market is definitely a part of it....cruisers & sport bikes dominate here.

I love the Tenere, and I think the XT660R is another very neat bike that's never getting here.

PICT0006.jpg

To me the ultimate dual sport bike, probably the best "compromise" bike ever built is not available to the US, the Honda XR400 (e-start, street legal).

xr400endurocs2.jpg

And, of course my trusty TTR250 in it's Australian street-legal trim is a great bike the US never got to enjoy.

01ttr250_L_m.jpg

• 9 months later...
You posted that XT127490384782whatever monstrosity, and then say that the KTM Adventure is ugly? Put down the crack pipe. :p

My thoughts exactly. And coming from a guy that's never ridden one. 990 that is lighter and has equal if not better power than the Yamaha...

Oh well, if it is based on looks, no adventure really gets a nod. So, performance and results should be a basis of thought...

To each their own of course...

My thoughts exactly. And coming from a guy that's never ridden one. 990 that is lighter and has equal if not better power than the Yamaha...

Oh well, if it is based on looks, no adventure really gets a nod. So, performance and results should be a basis of thought...

To each their own of course...

I ride for fun in the United States, not for competition in Africa. I like cheap, readily available parts incase I have to do a hotel parking lot repair. That's why I bought the VStrom over the 1200GS or Tiger.

I ride for fun in the United States, not for competition in Africa. I like cheap, readily available parts incase I have to do a hotel parking lot repair. That's why I bought the VStrom over the 1200GS or Tiger.

Well, then you should have bought the Adventure. It's lighter and more powerful even though it has a smaller capacity engine. Quit trying to spin it that everything is based on racing. R&D developes via racing and why product is as good as it is...

As for parts, KTM has a warehouse in Amherst. Dealer orders a part today, gets it tomorrow. Not gonna happen with the Suzuki guys all the time...

And, if you don't value what I say, ask Dave at Honda NW. They are an Orange Level dealer and think the Adventure is one of the best bikes in class hands down...

All I am saying is to not knock something based on looks.

The 990 is a good adventure bike, no doubt about it, it's light for its class and probably good offroad but Casper's Vstrom is a smoother more comfortable bike on the street. I don't think it's heresy to suggest the Strom the advantage in reliability (I've owned KTM big bores, there doesn't exist one without a short list of gremlins in my experience). Every bike is a compromise, everything has a niche, every rider a different want and expectation. The 990 has a hell of an engine, but have you ridden a DL1k? It'll lift that wheel with just the right hand...and is a joy in higher revs, it's a delightful bike on anything but technical terrain.

The Adventure is also way more expensive than the Strom, so if someone isn't interested in its advantages offroad, it doesn't make much sense. Especially given the Strom's cheap ownership (including aftermarket, insurance, parts cost, lower-octane gas, you name it). Over the life of both bikes, you're going to be spending a lot more on the KTM, so you'd better be enjoying what it does better than the Strom. If you're on the tarmac more, what is it doing for you better than the STrom, other than fitting in at Grandview on Tuesday?

For me, issues like 2-up riding also came into play. The Strom is luxurious compared to the 990, and the 990 is tall as hell. I'm not.

Also worth mentioning if you're more interested in offroad, a KLR with a big-bore kit has about as much going for it as the Adventure at 1/3 the cost. Not sexy, but neither it nor the 990 is worth a good shit in the tight Ohio offroad anyway. For that kind of fun, I'd rather have a lightweight 4-stroke anyday.

I'd also mention that KTM has a short window of parts availability, you'd better enjoy your new 990 and get all you want out of it, cause in 10 years getting some parts for it will probably be like hen's teeth, that I can tell you from sore personal experience. KTM thinks in the right now (that's that pesky racing-first mentality).

Just my tooth hence, which I'm sure will not be met with orange-applause.

Edited by swingset

I'm a big Yammie fan and just wish we could get a sniff of the XT660 line (X or R). Though if I had my choice it would be the 660 Tenere in a heartbeat.

I do like the 1200 Tenere, but for what I want to do, it'll be too heavy, too big but one hellva adventure.

Though I'll end up settling on a KTM 640 ADV...once the right one comes along.

Well, then you should have bought the Adventure. It's lighter and more powerful even though it has a smaller capacity engine. Quit trying to spin it that everything is based on racing. R&D developes via racing and why product is as good as it is...

As for parts, KTM has a warehouse in Amherst. Dealer orders a part today, gets it tomorrow. Not gonna happen with the Suzuki guys all the time...

And, if you don't value what I say, ask Dave at Honda NW. They are an Orange Level dealer and think the Adventure is one of the best bikes in class hands down...

All I am saying is to not knock something based on looks.

You're an employee of KTM, telling me to ask a person who works for a KTM dealer. Biased? Funny thing is, I bought a VStrom on recommendation from HNW employees. :lol:

Also worth mentioning if you're more interested in offroad, a KLR with a big-bore kit has about as much going for it as the Adventure at 1/3 the cost. Not sexy, but neither it nor the 990 is worth a good shit in the tight Ohio offroad anyway. For that kind of fun, I'd rather have a lightweight 4-stroke anyday.

I have a DR650 for that. :D

The 990 is a good adventure bike, no doubt about it, it's light for its class and probably good offroad but Casper's Vstrom is a smoother more comfortable bike on the street. I don't think it's heresy to suggest the Strom the advantage in reliability (I've owned KTM big bores, there doesn't exist one without a short list of gremlins in my experience). Every bike is a compromise, everything has a niche, every rider a different want and expectation. The 990 has a hell of an engine, but have you ridden a DL1k? It'll lift that wheel with just the right hand...and is a joy in higher revs, it's a delightful bike on anything but technical terrain.

The Adventure is also way more expensive than the Strom, so if someone isn't interested in its advantages offroad, it doesn't make much sense. Especially given the Strom's cheap ownership (including aftermarket, insurance, parts cost, lower-octane gas, you name it). Over the life of both bikes, you're going to be spending a lot more on the KTM, so you'd better be enjoying what it does better than the Strom. If you're on the tarmac more, what is it doing for you better than the STrom, other than fitting in at Grandview on Tuesday?

For me, issues like 2-up riding also came into play. The Strom is luxurious compared to the 990, and the 990 is tall as hell. I'm not.

I'd also mention that KTM has a short window of parts availability, you'd better enjoy your new 990 and get all you want out of it, cause in 10 years getting some parts for it will probably be like hen's teeth, that I can tell you from sore personal experience. KTM thinks in the right now (that's that pesky racing-first mentality).

Just my tooth hence, which I'm sure will not be met with orange-applause.

I can tell you with confidence that parts availability is great right now. Ask me how I know...;)

You're an employee of KTM, telling me to ask a person who works for a KTM dealer. Biased? Funny thing is, I bought a VStrom on recommendation from HNW employees. :lol:

One, you are correct. Two, did the 990 fit your budget? I'd think not since the Vstrom is cheaper... Again, Dave has nothing but good to say about the bike and so too, Rick the owner...

The bike isn't good because I say it is. I know it is and there's certainly proof of that. Now, as stated, it is taller and maybe not as comfortable as say your Strom. Again, to each their own...

But, to sit there and make acusations about how the bike performs is not fair if you haven't even thrown a leg over one. Looks aside because I feel there isn't a single Adventure style bike that "looks good"...

We can remedy that this July at Mid-Ohio. Come up and ride on. The route is gonna suck, but maybe you and I can go for a ride on our own. You give it an honest shot and let me know your honest thoughts. If it isn't for you, cool. But, at least you tried it... Plus, you can ride them all and get a feel for some different bikes you may not even consider and understand where each style bike has a focus on within the public's eyes...

Deal?

I can tell you with confidence that parts availability is great right now. Ask me how I know...;)

Just for shits and giggles, I did two Google searches. One for "DL-1000 radiator", the other for "Adventure 990 radiator". Click on the first link for each.

DL-1000 radiator:

1st Link - https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/cycle/dl1000-oem-replacement-parts/

Part - https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/radiator-dl1000-2002-06.html

Although expensive, they have the part in stock, ready to ship. I called. They can overnight if need be.

Adventure 990 radiator:

1st Link - http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-parts/ktm-parts-search.php?ktm-motorcycle-parts=Cooling-Radiator&year=2010&ktm-model=adventure-990&fitment=StreetBikes-all

No radiator in stock.

Check every link on the first page, no radiators.

One, you are correct. Two, did the 990 fit your budget? I'd think not since the Vstrom is cheaper... Again, Dave has nothing but good to say about the bike and so too, Rick the owner...

The bike isn't good because I say it is. I know it is and there's certainly proof of that. Now, as stated, it is taller and maybe not as comfortable as say your Strom. Again, to each their own...

But, to sit there and make acusations about how the bike performs is not fair if you haven't even thrown a leg over one. Looks aside because I feel there isn't a single Adventure style bike that "looks good"...

We can remedy that this July at Mid-Ohio. Come up and ride on. The route is gonna suck, but maybe you and I can go for a ride on our own. You give it an honest shot and let me know your honest thoughts. If it isn't for you, cool. But, at least you tried it... Plus, you can ride them all and get a feel for some different bikes you may not even consider and understand where each style bike has a focus on within the public's eyes...

Deal?

I haven't said anything negative about it's performance, just that it's ugly and parts aren't readily available.

As for budget, I had it narrowed down to the BMW 1200 GS (and the 1200 GS Adventure), the Triumph Tiger (which I still think is the best looking), and the DL-1000. I made my decision based in input from dealers, friends, and reviews. My biggest thing is if I break down between here and Alaska next year, I MUST be able to get parts within a day or two. The BMW, the Triumph, nor the KTM could provide that. However, there are Suzuki dealers almost everywhere and their part availability in the US is 2nd to MAYBE Harley. So no, the KTM wasn't out of my budget.

And lastly, I have sat on one. Felt like it wanted to be too much like a dirt bike. The seat isn't that great. Would suck to strap a tent and such to it without getting racks and hard bags. These are obviously my opinions, which I have a right to voice. I don't like the KTM Adventure 990. Just because it wins the Dakar race, doesn't mean it's the perfect bike for everyone.

I'm sure it is. They support their new line very well. Will it be in a few years?

Not saying the Japs are super about this either, but they tend to drop support and parts for things once a newer generation comes along.

That's where BMW really has bragging rights, IMHO. For someone who rides their bike a couple years off the showroom and trades up, or races, non-issue, but I'm one of those stubborn asses who rides my stuff till it dies of old age. Knowing a model is popular enough to have an availability of parts and aftermarket in the foreseeable future matters to me.

Just for shits and giggles, I did two Google searches. One for "DL-1000 radiator", the other for "Adventure 990 radiator". Click on the first link for each.

DL-1000 radiator:

1st Link - https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/cycle/dl1000-oem-replacement-parts/

Part - https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/radiator-dl1000-2002-06.html

Although expensive, they have the part in stock, ready to ship. I called. They can overnight if need be.

Adventure 990 radiator:

1st Link - http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-parts/ktm-parts-search.php?ktm-motorcycle-parts=Cooling-Radiator&year=2010&ktm-model=adventure-990&fitment=StreetBikes-all

No radiator in stock.

Check every link on the first page, no radiators.

Let me lay this out as nicely as I can. ANY dealer that orders a radiator, will get it from Amherst, Ohio. That means, you go into HNW and ask for a radiator, they probably aren't going to have it. However, you pay and they order today, they get it tomorrow. We have them in stock... LC8 radiators might not be at a dealership, but if you ordered it from cyclehut, you are going to get it 1-2 days best after you buy it. You can support a local dealer and get it in 1 day...

Next opposition?