Need 40mm Socket or wrench in Cleveland Area

omgshesaboy

Like the title says i need a 40mm socket or closed end wrench in cleveland just for a day or two. I will drive to pick it up. Please :D

Trying to break an axle nut on a Kaw? :-)

I'll check the toolbox but don't hold your breath :(

thats better than the $40 sears wanted.. they only had 38mm though..

no im taking my forks apart. i have a big crescent wrench but of course the one that isnt leaking came right off and the one that is leaking wont budge with the crescent wrench.

Pat is changing the fork seals on his R6 and he needs to get this done by Sunday. I should know if anyone has something I can get you by tomorrow. KTMRIDER's brother might have something.

good to know..

PS your TB SS sounds BadAss :bow:

Thats why I was trying to find a cheap car the TB won't pass e-check. I need something to register so I can turn the TB into a collectors car.

after you left i was looking at my rebates sheet, if you qualify for a 4500 clunker rebate you could get a base rio (stickshift no A/C) for aorund 6500 plus tax and title

Edited by omgshesaboy

That's tempting but I was hoping not to spend more than $6,000 plus it would be a shame to crush my SS Monte Carlo. I don't have to worry about plates for the TB until July 2010. I'll come up with something by then.

Edited by Uncle Punk

Now hold on a sec....you work for a dealership. Dealerships have mechanics. Mechanics have tools. LOTS OF THEM!! You don't know any mechanics where you work that might have a wrench or socket? :wtf:

Just kiddin' Pat, I did looked through my extensive set and 36mm is as large as I have (or needed). Sorry. :(

Now hold on a sec....you work for a dealership. Dealerships have mechanics. Mechanics have tools. LOTS OF THEM!! You don't know any mechanics where you work that might have a wrench or socket? :wtf:

Just kiddin' Pat, I did looked through my extensive set and 36mm is as large as I have (or needed). Sorry. :(

Biggest thing i could come up with at work was 38mm

Like the title says i need a 40mm socket or closed end wrench in cleveland just for a day or two. I will drive to pick it up. Please :D

You might want to try 1 5/8 or 1 9/16 socket if you can't find a 40 mm socket

You're going to get a little marring even if you had a 40mm socket. Caps are aluminum anyway. Nothing is that precise and there are tolerances for nuts and sockets. The play is what it is, just take your time getting it off.

I looked on the R6 service manual and the thread size is 40mm, the wrench size you would need should be 47mm if I am reading the manual correctly. If you have the front wheel off of the ground and the preload backed out all of the way it should be a bit easier to loosen. I would either find a big adjustable wrench or find a vise with "jaw shields" on it, clamp down on the hex part of the fork cap and rotate the fork. The torque spec in the manual is only 14 ft lb so it should be relatively easy to get loose. There is a rubber washer which gives a bit of resistance for the first couple of turns then it should spin right off

edit 47mm thread, and 40mm socket sorry

Do you know where McMaster-Carr is? They have a "cleveland" location, I order all my shop supplies for work from there. This is what they have:

Part# 54175A71

3/4" Square Drive Metric Impact Socket 6-Point Standard, 40mm Size, 2-1/2" Length O'all

In stock at $23.20 Each

Seems like a pretty reasonable price, I don't know how far it is from where you are though, but it might be an option.