Would you hire her?

KhaoticRebel

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I qualify who I chill with by bringing up that movie. If they laugh and say it's the funniest shit they've seen.. I allow them to hang. If they laugh and then pause to reflect on how frighteningly real that movie is.. I put my hand on their shoulder and tell them not to worry about such things tonight. For tonight is 'epic chillin' night.

When that certain someone looks at me like I have seven heads and ten horns and say they didn't get the movie or completely disagree then I retreat in a tactical manner to avoid any more interaction with' date=' what I consider, the infected.[/quote']

ive not seen this movie. however, your post alone has insured i will be adding it to my netflix queue asap. now i have to see it.

when i come across people who adhere staunchly to the whole adam/eve rib thing, i kind of do what you described above. once that persons' stance is verbally established... i literally have no where to go with them at the point. the relationship is cut off bc i can't deal with non-thinkers when it comes to the bible.

^^^

Nowadays it seems to me that degree/no degree you still run into the same amount of idiots.

thats funny you said this. ive been thinking along these lines for a while but couldnt quite put it into words.. (..ah im one of the idiots??? ;) ) I had monetary help from my parents, but equally i worked during college and took out loans.. it was a conglomeration. actually, i had better jobs while in college that were higher paying, than when i got out. i regret my decision to leave one in particular to this day. i regret it everyday. :nono:

I didn't say it was impossible guys. Just significantly more difficult.

I don't know what either of you do or what you make, but "respectable" means different things to different people. That being said, it used to be fairly easy to find well paying jobs without a college degree. As time goes by and the pool of potential employees with college degrees gets larger those without a degree become less marketable. Fewer and fewer employers are going to be willing to even look at someone without a degree.

Hey, I don't have a college degree either. However, I do own my own business, and employ several people (some who have degrees, some who don't). I've never looked at a person and based hiring them on whether they had a degree or not, but rather who was best suited for the job. If it ever came down to it, and two candidates were equal in every respect except for education, I would probably defer to the person with the degree.

By respectable, I mean that it is less than some and more than most ;)

To be fair, I did have to go thru some what of an apprentice program per se. The only problem is that the skills I gained thru the training do nothing for me in any other profession. :nono:

By respectable, I mean that it is less than some and more than most ;)

To be fair, I did have to go thru some what of an apprentice program per se. The only problem is that the skills I gained thru the training do nothing for me in any other profession. :nono:

If you went through an apprenticeship program, that can be compared a degree for your field. Could you have gotten the job you have without it? Do you make more than someone with the same job that didnt go through it?

If you went through an apprenticeship program, that can be compared a degree for your field. Could you have gotten the job you have without it? Do you make more than someone with the same job that didnt go through it?

You cant have the job without going thru the training. It's all "on the job" type training. If one cant make it thru, then they are fired.

You cant have the job without going thru the training. It's all "on the job" type training. If one cant make it thru, then they are fired.

Ok, so how is this different than needing a college degree to be a doctor, or a lawyer, etc?

I'm not busting your balls, but really they're both similar - arent they?

Ok, so how is this different than needing a college degree to be a doctor, or a lawyer, etc?

I'm not busting your balls, but really they're both similar - arent they?

Not really similar. Anyone can get hired. Then the training starts. And the training is about 6 months. (It was only 4 weeks when I started)

Not really similar. Anyone can get hired. Then the training starts. And the training is about 6 months. (It was only 4 weeks when I started)

Not similar because of the time disparity? Or not similar because you didn't pay up front for it?

You don't pass the training, you don't keep the job. You don't pass the bar, you aren't a lawyer. Sounds the same to me.

Not similar because of the time disparity? Or not similar because you didn't pay up front for it?

You don't pass the training, you don't keep the job. You don't pass the bar, you aren't a lawyer. Sounds the same to me.

No, they pay us for the training. We dont pay for training at all.

lol?

The McD's incident awhile ago? She didn;t know he coffee was hot? I've spilled hot stuff in my lap. My fist thought was not to sue Tim Horton's, it was "Oh shit, I was a dumbass and now my nuts are on fire.

If my college GPA was a C, I would expect the company to hire the person who had a B or A average. Then I would wonder why I didn;t try harder in college and blame myself and not someone else for my mistakes.

Edited by chevysoldier

The McD's incident awhile ago?

I got THAT part.

And for what it's worth I researched that lawsuit, the hot coffee melted through the plastic lid, something went wrong with the coffee machine or something and the coffee ended up unhumanly hot.

Just wanted to share, completely off topic though.

I got THAT part.

And for what it's worth I researched that lawsuit, the hot coffee melted through the plastic lid, something went wrong with the coffee machine or something and the coffee ended up unhumanly hot.

Just wanted to share, completely off topic though.

Mind sharing where you got that info? Id like to read it.

This is what i found from wikipedia

"

[edit] Background

On February 27, 1992, Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, ordered a 49¢ cup of coffee from the drive-through window of a local McDonald's restaurant. Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of her Ford Probe, and her grandson Chris parked the car so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. She placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap.[9] Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin as she sat in the puddle of hot liquid for over 90 seconds, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.[10] Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent.[11] She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. Two years of treatment followed."

Edited by chevysoldier

No, they pay us for the training. We dont pay for training at all.

Ok, so is that why you don't think its similar?

Case in point...I'm a tool and die maker by trade (although I havent made my living doing that for 20+ years). I served my apprenticeship (4 years) and worked for less than the tool and die masters during that time. I went to classes during the day, worked nights, blah, blah, blah....

To me, that's the same as putting in 4 years of college to get a degree...

Ok, so is that why you don't think its similar?

Case in point...I'm a tool and die maker by trade (although I havent made my living doing that for 20+ years). I served my apprenticeship (4 years) and worked for less than the tool and die masters during that time. I went to classes during the day, worked nights, blah, blah, blah....

To me, that's the same as putting in 4 years of college to get a degree...

Where I am at, 1 year of experience equals 1 year of college in the related field. But they ALWAYS hire experience over a degree.

The McD's incident awhile ago? She didn;t know he coffee was hot? I've spilled hot stuff in my lap. My fist thought was not to sue Tim Horton's, it was "Oh shit, I was a dumbass and now my nuts are on fire.

If my college GPA was a C, I would expect the company to hire the person who had a B or A average. Then I would wonder why I didn;t try harder in college and blame myself and not someone else for my mistakes.

You must be at least a few years older with that mentality. It's allllllll wrong for those in their early to mid twenties...or you're an alien.

I'm 26, and I have absolutely no patience for failure through laziness. In my experience, most college work is not that challenging if you actually pay attention.

Then again, it's easy to be a big asshole with a good GPA.

:p

with a gpa of 2.7 you're surprised she lacks common sense? :)

I have noticed that some of the smartest people (4.0 students) have the least amount of common sense and some of those on the lower end of the grade scale have more common sense than most. I was always between 2.0 and 2.5 in school and most of the time i can break down any argument from the most educated of people (that i know) with simple logic. Grades have nothing to do with common sense.

+2

Seriously, put a college grad side by side with a high school grad with 4 years of entry level experience...

More often than not the job is going to the college grad... sorry but every posting I see says college degree or experience... and I know from experience college is > work experience unless you're doing the EXACT job they are hiring for.

I don't think it's right, but you can't change the world :(

I was up against 26 other people for 2 openings in my company (bank) most had a degree in some sort of financial field and I have no college education at all, however I have 3-4 years of cash handling experience. I got the job, and the person who got the other position was a woman in her 40's who had experience but no college. Basically in most fields I think that experience is looked at as being better than college.

Completely different, his apprenticeship progam focused solely on his field of work and nothing else, like a trade school. In order to get a degree you have to take classes in fields that in no way relate to what you are majoring in. Why should an accounting major have to take history and science classes? Why should political science or liberal arts majors have to take (college level) math classes?