Police busting enduro riders

buildit

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that it's an old unwritten Ohio law, but if you challenge a cop to a motorcycle joust, and win you get out of any infractions and earn a golden fiddle.

If you lose, he gets your bike and your soul.

Or, wait... maybe I'm confusing two things?

and the devil is a fiddle player too........

I can get a fully lighted, street ready Aprilia RS125 2-stroke with a stamp on the frame that says, "for offroad use" legally. Can I get it plated in Ohio then?

If you can't then you shoudn't be on a public road with it. It may be a pain in the ass but you have to trailer it.

I fail to see the issue here. Maybe I'm missing something.

If you can't then you shoudn't be on a public road with it. It may be a pain in the ass but you have to trailer it.

Aprilia imported 500 RS125s as "offroad use only" race bikes. They did this because the bikes couldn't pass emissions laws since they are 2-strokes. So the bikes come over with no lighting harness or plate holders. You can buy the harness, lights, and plate holder and make it a street legal bike in that sense, but it still doesn't pass emissions.

So, if you had a state that doesn't do emissions checks and only looks at paperwork then you could possibly get an RS125 plated to ride on the street which would be fucking sweet! That's the point.

Basically what I'm getting at is, I heart the RS125. It will primarily be a race bike, but it'd be nice to pimp it on the street every now and then.

Aprilia-RS125-2.jpg

Edited by RSVDon

In many of the trailhead towns I've ridden in, like those supporting the Hatfield McCoy trails, offroad only vehicles are welcomed...even seen a few signs that say "offroad vehicles, please obey the rules of the road". Cops give a nod, and sometimes wave. In fact, there are towns where ORV's are daily drivers and life just chugs along without much trouble.

I guess I fail to see the issue with those situations either.

Could it be that during an event like this, perhaps the letter of the law, while being the letter of the law, doesn't really need to be so firmly applied?

I guess I'm a "no blood, no foul" kinda guy where scary reckless freedom is always a little preferable to orderly joyless enforcement.

It doesn't sound like he's firmly applying the letter of the law to me. he was merely checking license, registration and insurance.

What would happen if one of those uninsured bikes were to get in an accident in that little town and it was shown that the local law enforcement was just letting them slip by?

I understand that this event has been going on for many years, but perhaps some people actually complained. Or perhaps there has been issues in the past and they wanted to set a new precedent. Asking motorcycles to be legal for road use is not an excessive request, IMO.

So, if you had a state that doesn't do emissions checks and only looks at paperwork then you could possibly get an RS125 plated to ride on the street which would be fucking sweet! That's the point.

And this is how ohio works:

Take an offroad title to a title agency.

Ask for a "Change of Body Affidavit"

Affirm that your bike has all street legal requirements.

Sign the form.

Pay your moneys

Accept your newly printed street title.

Go to BMV and get your plate.

It is THAT easy.

NO inspection needed.

In many of the trailhead towns I've ridden in, like those supporting the Hatfield McCoy trails, offroad only vehicles are welcomed...even seen a few signs that say "offroad vehicles, please obey the rules of the road". Cops give a nod, and sometimes wave. In fact, there are towns where ORV's are daily drivers and life just chugs along without much trouble.

I guess I fail to see the issue with those situations either.

Could it be that during an event like this, perhaps the letter of the law, while being the letter of the law, doesn't really need to be so firmly applied?

I guess I'm a "no blood, no foul" kinda guy where scary reckless freedom is always a little preferable to orderly joyless enforcement.

I'm sure you have, local municipalities can enforce whatever rules they want on municipality only roads. The thing is, no registration means no insurance means no coverage, can't have liability coverage on an offroad vehicle.

And this is how ohio works:

Take an offroad title to a title agency.

Ask for a "Change of Body Affidavit"

Affirm that your bike has all street legal requirements.

Sign the form.

Pay your moneys

Accept your newly printed street title.

Go to BMV and get your plate.

It is THAT easy.

NO inspection needed.

Dammit! You kinda shouldn't have told me that. :D

can't have liability coverage on an offroad vehicle.

yes you can. it doesn't cost too much and can save you a lot of trouble should an accident occur offroad (think wayne)

Dammit! You kinda shouldn't have told me that. :D

Umm, sorry? :D

Can I have a ride on your new RS125?

untitled.jpg

don't mind airforce one in the background

Yup, you're right, I double checked. However racing/speed tests are unacceptable.

Right. It's just a nice safety net to protect you in case you chuck your bike into a lawyer or something. :p

Holy sh*t, you guys see the new paint scheme on the 'busa in the background?

And it's cornering!

OMGWTFBBQAIRFORCEONE! :lol:

An Aprilia guy showed up at Indy on an RS125 that was plated and was revving it up. Lol it's so cool!

That pic was made after the whole airforce one doing a flyby of downtown NYC earlier in the year. some site was having a contest. :D

Aprilia imported 500 RS125s as "offroad use only" race bikes. They did this because the bikes couldn't pass emissions laws since they are 2-strokes. So the bikes come over with no lighting harness or plate holders. You can buy the harness, lights, and plate holder and make it a street legal bike in that sense, but it still doesn't pass emissions.

Basically what I'm getting at is, I heart the RS125. It will primarily be a race bike, but it'd be nice to pimp it on the street every now and then.

Aprilia-RS125-2.jpg

Wow that is one sweet looking machine. Hmmmm... maybe worth taking a chance. My point was in regards to the guys whining about breaking the law and geting caught. Whether it be an enduro race, ATV mini-bike or whatever .. ride it on the street with no license but don't whine if you get caught. The laws are there for a reason..