Possibly AR-15 shopping

speedytriple

I might look into trading my mini target for a lower end ar at the next gun show? My question is are the lower end models any good? Dpms, anyone know if there lower priced guns are crap or worth the money to get into the AR game. Local shop has a few dpms ar's for $699-750 new are these worth buying or should I move up to say a cheap bushmaster for $800? I am looking mostly for how accurate they are, and how dependable they are going to be. But I am not looking to spend a grand on one.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DPMS is a good company, Sell well as for "entry level" all mfg have them and all the major companys try and build quailty to keep competitive in the industry.. and like with most AR's just depends on how many Acc u wanna add to it or if your a Purist and just want the std 20" A2....

I always Recomed price shoping...

www.vanceoutdoors.com/flyer/flyer.pdf ... until the 12th... ill post up the new one as soon as I get it!!

Call me on this one dude. "Name Brand" isn't quite what it used to be. The AR market has grown big time and there are some little guys that are making good stuff. All of my AR's have been built, either complete parts kits or me cherry picking components.

Very True!!!

This is a buddy of mine

http://www.shawnstactical.com/

Call me on this one dude. "Name Brand" isn't quite what it used to be. The AR market has grown big time and there are some little guys that are making good stuff. All of my AR's have been built, either complete parts kits or me cherry picking components.

+1 - you cannot name shop for ARs anymore because most of the ARs are built by all of the same companies they just put a different stamp on the lower or upper. DPMS are great guns- dont let anyone tell you that one is better than the next because 99% of the time the lower end ARs were made by the more expensive makers. I personally have a left handed STAG flat top with flip up iron sights-its phenomenal. - building your own AR is also a somewhat cost efficient option too if you know a dealer.

DSC00587.jpg

Edited by OfcMav

i would love to buy a stag as i am left handed but more then i can spend right now.

ar15.com has a group buy on stag kits for $610, just buy the lower receiver (can be had for around $100 at a gun show) and you have your rifle for around $710. you also avoid tax on the stag kit because the vendor is out of state.

Link http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=636628

i love ar talk...

make your own... there are kits out there. My gunsmith swears by this site and has built many of their kits.

http://www.sherluk.com/m16.php

i have a S&W M&P15. yes i did buy a brand name, but i love her.

MP15w-UTG.jpg

handle is gone for an EOtech and the front will soon be gone for a troy flip-up and rail gas block. grip will soon be a magpul and the stock will be a caa srs sniper stock. :)

Edited by curby

I have a couple of Bushmasters. Love them both. I know several who have purchased the DPMS and it is a nice firearm as well, and not a bad price.

That being said......I love my Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97S the most. Throw on a front grip, Surefire light/laser, and an Eotech holographic site......you just shouldn't be able to have that much fun. Pure sex!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1346&stc=1&d=1253148025

I have a couple of Bushmasters. Love them both. I know several who have purchased the DPMS and it is a nice firearm as well, and not a bad price.

That being said......I love my Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97S the most. Throw on a front grip, Surefire light/laser, and an Eotech holographic site......you just shouldn't be able to have that much fun. Pure sex!

I hate to break it to you but what you just posted is illeagel as fuck.. you CANNOT put a front grip on an AR pistol and also if thats not registered as an pistol lower then you have an SBR which also requires an NFA tax stamp...

If you think Im kidding, feel free to call ATF and find out for yourself.

sick bro

Go ahead and send that pic with your name and address to the ATF and find out what happens.. You play with fire and youre gonna get burnt...

Dont be a dipshit on this one. Its not worth going to jail just to have something that "looks cool"

Oh yeah and here is some reading material should you care to try and learn something

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,

Firearms and Explosives

Washington, DC 20226

Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun

“Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand…. Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).

Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

The NFA further defines the term “any other weapon” (AOW) as any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition. 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e).

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

To lawfully add a vertical fore grip to a handgun, a person must make an appropriate application on ATF Form 1, “Application to Make and Register a Firearm.” The applicant must submit the completed form, along with a fingerprint card bearing the applicant’s fingerprints; a photograph; and $200.00. The application will be reviewed by the NFA Branch. If the applicant is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal, State, or local law, and possession of an “AOW” is not prohibited in the applicant’s State of residence, the form will be approved. Only then may the person add a vertical fore grip to the designated handgun.

A person may also send the handgun to a person licensed to manufacture NFA weapons. The manufacturer will install the fore grip on the firearm and register the firearm on an ATF Form 2. The manufacturer can then transfer the firearm back to the individual on an ATF Form 4, which results in a $5.00 transfer tax. If the manufacturer is out of State, the NFA Branch will need a clarification letter submitted with the ATF Form 4 so that the NFA Branch Examiner will know the circumstances of the transfer. Questions can be directed to the NFA Branch or the Firearms Technology Branch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by flounder