Motorcycle Fatality Statistics

chevysoldier

When considering that everyone is buying larger displacement motorcycles in each of the 3 groups listed, this chart is alarming. It says fatalities are declining within the two lower displacement groups. Even just moving up to a 1000cc liter bike from a 600cc sport, will stay in the same lower group.

What would be the factors on a bike >1400cc. My first guess is simply the size and weight of the bike contribute to the fatality. Not just the slow response in handling and maneuvering, but the thought that the shear size and weight of the larger motorcycles might be causing the injuries. Meaning that when that extra heavy bike rolls over on you, it's not survivable.

Consider as well what you could buy in 1985 that you can't buy now, as far as size of motor. In 1985 how many models could you buy over 1400cc's is a factor too.

Im gonna die sonner or later Id rather die in an epic bike crash that everyone will remember and think "damn that was awsome till he crashed" instead of die of old age depending on someone to feed me and give me pills and help me use the shitter but thats just me ?

I want to die of old age in my sleep. I also want to experience as much as I can though before I do, which is a risk, but odds are in my favor. I just hope I don't fall below those odds. :)

Edited by NinjaNick

Actually, I think that is the goal, since almost no one makes it that far. If they did, half would be there, and the other half would be taking care of them. Besides, make it that far riding a motorcycle all the time, would be epic in itself. There would have to be both a book and a movie about a person like that. Pretty rare.

:plus1:

I want to die of old age in my sleep. I also want to experience as much as I can though before I do, which is a risk, but odds are in my favor. I just hope I don't fall below those odds. :)

amen brother. I want to see everything I can see. I want to be able to tell stories of, I rode my bike to mount Rushmore , and here and there. If we stayed inside all the time because we were afraid, what would we be? A bunch of pale weirdos that have permanent TV remotes in our hands. Forget all that. I want ride. I want see the world. If something happens en route to go see the world, then so be it. At least I wasn't watching tv... waiting for death. :)

amen brother. I want to see everything I can see. I want to be able to tell stories of, I rode my bike to mount Rushmore , and here and there. If we stayed inside all the time because we were afraid, what would we be? A bunch of pale weirdos that have permanent TV remotes in our hands. Forget all that. I want ride. I want see the world. If something happens en route to go see the world, then so be it. At least I wasn't watching tv... waiting for death. :)

I am all for that, totally agree. But that is not an excuse to go out and ride like an idiot or above your ability. What's that saying..."Live to ride, ride to live"

Echo others, I'd bet the 1499 line corresponds to HD switching from 1200 to 1600.

I agree, riding a bike is fun but it's a risk you either accept or ignore. I accept the risk, and I like the "freedom" that comes from riding... I've been happier and had less anxiety since I started riding, that's worth the risk to me.

I figure we all have our time on earth, if you spend it trying to avoid death you haven't lived, but no reason to be stupid... just enjoy life and know we only get one go round.

The whole H-D guys have the bigger motors and no helmet may have something to do with it. But what i think is more relevent is that when you go to the big bike rallies or bike nights (which most are geared towards H-D riders around here anyways) yes see alot of them poundin beers then hoppin on there bikes. I have been to a few and ONE time i had 2 12oz. beers. I was there a couple hours and when i left on my bike I definatly felt different. That was the first and last time i will ride with any amount of alcohol in my system! I couldnt imagine 6 or 10.