Paralyzed from the chest down

Bkizz

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bkizz I can actually say I know what your feeling or not feeling at this time. I shattered Cervical #7 and now have 6 and 7 fused together. I couldn't move or feel anything from the nipple line down and only had gross movement of only my right hand. Just enough to trigger a paddle which was my call light. I didn't severe my spine but I have what is called central cord syndrome.

So your first post was a little vague did you break your back/neck and the spinal cord was not severed? If so that is a good sign. Have the doctors talked to you about something called spinal shock?

If you need any questions answered I can possibly help you out. I spent close to two weeks in the ICU and over 4 month in rehab but I'm back on the bike and riding ok for a cripple. ;)

Biggest thing is to keep your spirits up and remember your mind will tell your body how to go.

Thanks, it's good to hear I may somehow get back on a bike. My spine was completely severed though....not partially so I dunno what else to think. i still plan to work hard in rehab though!!!

This is a sad story but it could have been worse, at least you still alive. sounds like you have a very positive attitude. although we have never met if you need anything let me know. im sure everyone on here would not hesitate to lend a helping hand. hang in there and never give up hope.

Thanks, it's good to hear I may somehow get back on a bike. My spine was completely severed though....not partially so I dunno what else to think. i still plan to work hard in rehab though!!!

Bkizz can you tell me how high up the injury is? Also if you want to get back on the bike...you will just look at Doug Henry, David Bailey, Etc etc. I even know a member from my Rogue group who had special outriggers installed on his RC51 to hold his bike up when he came into the pits.

He was damn fast too.

Just keep positive and do all the rehab you can. Ask about muscle stimulator to keep the muscles moving.

Damn man! Don't know ya but hang in there! You're still alive, and that means you are supposed to be and have a purpose to fulfill. Prayers for you and your family - you're gonna have to hammer though the physical therapy, but its the road to recovery. Work hard at it - Keep us in the loop.

I just got back from seeing Brian. He was doing well.

I passed along all of your well wishes and that we are all pulling for him. He was very appreciative. He is still in surgical ICU and soon will be moved to start rehab.

Brian keep strong. We will see you soon.

I just got back from seeing Brian. He was doing well.

I passed along all of your well wishes and that we are all pulling for him. He was very appreciative. He is still in surgical ICU and soon will be moved to start rehab.

Brian keep strong. We will see you soon.

Thanks for stopping by.It really meant a lot that you would do that. Same goes for todd too...I have unbelievable respect for you two!!!!! :D

glad you got up there too jagr he needs the company and encouragement everyonne that can go should and not callin anyone out but theres 2 that i know of that work there you 2 should stop by his room hed really like it ....... and brian ill be back up prolly tomarrow and john will be in by tomaroww nite as well if not sooner

Thanks for stopping by.It really meant a lot that you would do that. Same goes for todd too...I have unbelievable respect for you two!!!!! :D

Glad the visitors helped. Keep strong man, I've never met you but a fellow Ohioan and a fellow rider deserves the respect and support.

Keep on top of your physical therapy no matter how much or little progress you see, it's so easy to get into the "wow this is helping I can do this myself" or "I'm not seeing enough progress this is worthless"... keep with it.

Brian,

I will be coming by between the 5 -7 pm visiting hours. Please email or call me if you need anything. My email is jcmathis@insight.rr.com and my cell number is 740-972-3155. I will be at the Chapel service at Mid Ohio tomorrow morning and will make sure all of the racers in attendance lift you up in prayer. Hang in there Bro, God has a plan for your life.

I feel the same way about you Brian. We will see you again soon.

Brian,

I will be coming by between the 5 -7 pm visiting hours. Please email or call me if you need anything. My email is jcmathis@insight.rr.com and my cell number is 740-972-3155. I will be at the Chapel service at Mid Ohio tomorrow morning and will make sure all of the racers in attendance lift you up in prayer. Hang in there Bro, God has a plan for your life.

Thanks for chiming in John . I will try to time all my things tomarrow to join you up there if I can, he can really use a conversation with you too I think that would be a huge lift for him....... and Im gonna shoot some rep your way also that 1 green dot youve got just does fit your reputation at all. hope to see ya tomarrow

Wrillo, ShittyGSXR, McLovin and I just stopped up to see how Brian is and he was just moved out of the ICU and from what his sister said, should be out of the hospital very soon! He had about fifteen people there to see him and we all got to meet them and they are wonderful people!

Brian, you are a lucky man to have so many people who care for you! You have a great mental attitude that will carry you through all of this. Don't hesitate to ask for help when you need it, I'll see you again soon!

Edit: if you want to I'm sure there are a few people on the board that will help you fix up your bike, put that insurance money to good use and dont waste it at a shop who will take all of it unnecessarily. Since it's Larry (?) i think that is handling the repairs for you let him know that option is wide open for you!

Edited by Tomcat0403