Oil change question!

Dubguy85

i always overfill mine because i ride wheelies alot and still run it hard in the twisties and on the track and have never had a problem on any of my bikes , i wouldnt worry bout drainin it but thats just me

yea i over fill too for wheelies....sorry Liz but having oil is better than not stressing rotating engine parts.......

and yea, that seems like almost NO oil....2.2 WOW!!!!!!

i thought my 1000 gixx was 3200 or 3600 ml's

either way, put in what they say, run it hot, let set, check sight glass....all is well :)

yea i over fill too for wheelies....sorry Liz but having oil is better than not stressing rotating engine parts.......

and yea, that seems like almost NO oil....2.2 WOW!!!!!!

i thought my 1000 gixx was 3200 or 3600 ml's

either way, put in what they say, run it hot, let set, check sight glass....all is well :)

I don't know anything about filling it for wheelies. However, the idea is that too much oil causes too much stress to spin through that extra oil. Think trying to run on land and then trying to run in water... Takes more effort, right?

That more effort causes stress on engine components - especially the crank and rods. We have seen guys blow motors (actually a staff memeber's 750) due to hydro lock. What happened is that the motor stressed a rod from too much energy needed to be spinnign the motor with WAY too much oil. The rods stressed and broke when running at high RPMs on the track.

Now, again, I can't comment on oil for wheelies as it makes sense since when up in the wheelie position, it is sending the oil back and starving (possibly) the crank. More oil allows it to be where it needs to, but again, my feelings are that you are more on two wheels than on one. Maybe not for some of you guys, but in the case of Dub, I think he'd need to be where it should be.

Now, obviously... you may never hydro lock your motor and you may never have it stress a rod or cause issue with your crank. BUT, it can happen and when it does, it costs a LOT of money...

Simply food for thought, guys.

Now, again, I can't comment on oil for wheelies as it makes sense since when up in the wheelie position, it is sending the oil back and starving (possibly) the crank. More oil allows it to be where it needs to

that exactly what it is I grennaded a motor in my 900rr from no oil and it was full of oil but was full to the full line and when wheeliein it would lose pressure my motor guy told me 3/4 over full will keep in the oil pump pickup been doing it ever since and no probs . does not mean a prob isnt comming Ive just not had one since

Some manuals will give you 2 different levels. One for changing oil and one for changing oil AND the filter.

Also, make sure your bike is up level (off of the kick stand) while checking the window.

...er something...

+1

Mine actually gives 3. Oil, Oil and Filter, Completely Dry

don't pull the plug completely, just unscrew it enough to where oil starts to flow out in a steady stream. Doesn't have to be a gushing stream, and just be patient. When I thought I over filled my bike, I used a marked empty peanut butter jar to drain out 1/2 qt.

I think you could have some faulty oil causing incorrect readings. I recommend you drain the oil, remove the filter and replace both with Amsoil products. Problem solved. :D

lmao lmao!!! nice one!!!!!

I don't know anything about filling it for wheelies. However, the idea is that too much oil causes too much stress to spin through that extra oil. Think trying to run on land and then trying to run in water... Takes more effort, right?

That more effort causes stress on engine components - especially the crank and rods. We have seen guys blow motors (actually a staff memeber's 750) due to hydro lock. What happened is that the motor stressed a rod from too much energy needed to be spinnign the motor with WAY too much oil. The rods stressed and broke when running at high RPMs on the track.

Now, again, I can't comment on oil for wheelies as it makes sense since when up in the wheelie position, it is sending the oil back and starving (possibly) the crank. More oil allows it to be where it needs to, but again, my feelings are that you are more on two wheels than on one. Maybe not for some of you guys, but in the case of Dub, I think he'd need to be where it should be.

Now, obviously... you may never hydro lock your motor and you may never have it stress a rod or cause issue with your crank. BUT, it can happen and when it does, it costs a LOT of money...

Simply food for thought, guys.

lol, no i DO understand what you are saying and you are correct. the advise i was giving was for more whoolies than level riding. So that said, he should probably run 2 levels depending on what hes doin. The gixxers (around 03 to 04 and surrounding)have an aftermarket oil pickup JUST for wheelies. If not they run dry. The pickup relocates the opening towards the back of the bike, BUT get on the brakes hard and all the oil goes forward and the motor starves for a sec (light will come on!!!). Its a cheap fix IF and ONLY IF you are constantly doing wheelies.

I actually in my 04 gixx 1000 just ran about a quart over or almost a quart. Not enought to hydrolock, probably got a bit bubbly from the crank but i had the stock oil pickup and heard WAY WAY too many gixx stories about oil starvation. The shape of the pan attributed also to this hooligan problem :) lol I believe that the newer gixxes have a more square shape as opposed the the "funnel" shape like mine, i dont know where the pickup is at. But im sure the different pan would help in he newer ones.

thats the gixx wheelie lesson :)

i think the pickup was made by "stunt-ex" or some shit like that

http://www.stuntersstore.com/stsugsoilpi.html

there it is :)

i always overfill mine because i ride wheelies alot and still run it hard in the twisties and on the track and have never had a problem on any of my bikes , i wouldnt worry bout drainin it but thats just me

theres the wheelie comment.....i thought the original poster said...this maybe a tread jack........ SORRY!!!

yea....only overfill IF AND ONLY IF you are always doin wheelies. I used the gixx as a "street/stunter" so it was 50/50 for level riding with about 1 quart over.....bike still runs great....surprises even me :)

Stressing the rods, crank, and such due to the amount of oil it has to spin through is never good...

more on that...

i'm not sure that overfilling would have that sudden of an effect. i would think you would have premature engine bearing wear, very long term, and you would experience some power loss from the drag, which should warn you that something is wrong. besides the fact that pretty much every engine has some sort of windage tray and SS motos also have a basic design of a crank scraper. this would greatly help reduce the effect of oil drag......why they're there, actually. not saying you're wrong, just never heard of that situation, myself.

however, grossly overfilling a crankcase (on any engine) would allow the crankshaft to whip, or airate the oil; thereby, making it very difficult for the pump to draw and wouldnt take long, at all. this would give greatly reduced oil pressure, much like running with no oil, and cause bearings to seize. especially difficult to detect if you use synthetic oil due to its superior lubricating properties.

also, i think this would happen several minutes before the engine would produce excessive crankcase pressure, due to the lessened air volume, and cause excessive blow-by into the air box. in this case, it would look like you were running a two stroke. also, the engine would, likely, blow any number of seals (crank - either end, output shaft, clutch rod shaft, etc) which would cause a pretty good leak.

so, all that being said, i wouldnt hesitate to say that as long as it isnt above the sight glass you're probably ok, and anyone feel free to do your own research, the above is from my personal experience. but, i'm not an expert, nor am i properly insured to give such advice. that's why it was free! :cool:

Well...I finally got a chance to try something...I just loosened the drain plug all the way out and just kept holding it up there, and almost threaded, and tilted it, and drained like 2 milliliters or something very small, but made it perfect in the window! I feel much better about things now!