Interesting crash statistics of accidents in NE Ohio

SWing'R

I've been mentioning that there have been lots of riders killed in NE Ohio this season.

I'm originally from Lorain so I tend to read the Morning Jounral online a couple times a week to see whats going on up that way.

Well I've been invoved in some arguments with other readers on the MorningJournal.com story forums regarding motocycle accidents,

and while digging thru old stories to get an idea of whats going on up there I found an interesting trend in the accidents.

I found stories on 20 reported accidents from April to September that

include both deaths and injuries, check this out...

Cruisers: 11

Sportbike: 1

Scooter: 1

Unconfirmed or unknown: 7

Based on ages and whether or not they were wearing helmets, one can make a pretty good assumption

that most of or all of the unconfirmed 7 were also cruisers.

So much for sportbikers being the dangerous ones on the road ;)

Sorry bro but you're trying to argue that ice cream causes drowning.

Causation versus correlation, you have to take into account the large difference in samples, there are more cruisers on the road than anything else.

I'd suggest you read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misuse_of_statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causality

Edited by Likwid

...you have to take into account the large difference in samples, there are more cruisers on the road than anything else.

I don't doubt that, just think its interesting, cause some Harley guy was giving me shit about some of my posts

regarding riding styles and speed and such, so I thought I'd dig thru the stories to see what types of bikes were involved in the accidents.

I'm passionate about this because I see data used incorrectly all the time. "We need to modify X because Y is in the data" because of it people end up making poor decisions because of a data anomaly. This correlation vs causation is the same way people argue gun laws. "Most violent crimes involve a firearm, therefore if you ban firearms violent crimes will go down"

Violent Crimes and Firearms are correlated, not caused. A cruiser does not CAUSE a motorcycle more likely to crash, a firearm does not CAUSE a person to become criminal, a pencil does not CAUSE spelling errors, and importing lemons doesn't CAUSE traffic fatalities.

YAY!

I will have to admit David, I spend a LOT of my time trying to get people to do things because of things I prove or believe....

My wife is a statistician and I'm in marketing... she hates what I do, and I hate what she does. She gets SO mad because she knows there was some data manipulation in SOMETHING, I usually argue that if we did everything according to the pure analysis nothing would get done, and she argues the other side of it.

It's quite funny, I know if I say "all statistics are made up anyway" she'll storm off :)

if you're going to post stuff like this, then bring all the info.

What percentage had alcohol and or drugs involved?

What percentage were <25yrs old...

Or more importantly, fuck that HD guy on this forum giving you shit. He don't pay your bills, you don't pay his, so why give a shit what he thinks of you, your ride, or your riding style. This ain't high school Bueller

Or more importantly, fuck that HD guy on this forum giving you shit. He don't pay your bills, you don't pay his, so why give a shit what he thinks of you, your ride, or your riding style. This ain't high school Bueller

+1, that HD asshat probably doesn't even live in Ohio anymore. :p

if you're going to post stuff like this, then bring all the info.

What percentage had alcohol and or drugs involved?

What percentage were <25yrs old...

I know, I shouldn't let the guy get under my skin but I did.

I could dig up all the info regarding each crash but I don't wanna waste that much time.

I believe in most or all of the cruiser accidents the rider was over 25 and in probably 90%

of the cruiser accidents the rider and/or passenger were not wearing helmets and I can only

remember one crash invoving alcohol.

I'm passionate about this because I see data used incorrectly all the time. "We need to modify X because Y is in the data" because of it people end up making poor decisions because of a data anomaly. This correlation vs causation is the same way people argue gun laws. "Most violent crimes involve a firearm, therefore if you ban firearms violent crimes will go down"

Violent Crimes and Firearms are correlated, not caused. A cruiser does not CAUSE a motorcycle more likely to crash, a firearm does not CAUSE a person to become criminal, a pencil does not CAUSE spelling errors, and importing lemons doesn't CAUSE traffic fatalities.

YAY!

I agree with Likwid. Pharmaceutical companies incorrectly use data to substantiate the use of drugs such as statins etc. High Cholesterol = Heart Disease

Statins reduce deaths etc. All based on improper use of data that sadly, even most physicians can't understand.

Though I did read a Highway safety report discussing accidents etc. in the U.S that indicated there were more accidents involving cruisers than sport bikes in the absolute. I never took the time to determine %'s etc. That is number of cruisers vs. sport bikes on the street..

There was some discussion on what classifies a bike as a cruiser vs. a standard etc.

You really have to look closely at data - it can be easily manipulated intentionally or otherwise.

You really have to look closely at data - it can be easily manipulated intentionally or otherwise.

And thats exactly why I dug it up from the stories, I planned on eventually throwing the numbers back

at the Harley guy giving me shit, for now I'm just sitting on the info, waiting for him to take another e-jab at me! :p

Any data can be manipulated to show what ever you want. But several things are very clear to me in what I've seen while riding. 1. Not wearing gear will increase you chance of dying or being seriously injured in an accident and most cruiser riders don't wear proper gear. 2. Driving in more populated areas with greater traffic increases you chance of being hit by another driver no matter who is at fault. 3. Exceeding your abilities while riding on the road or in the dirt increases your chance of having an accident. So given these factors ATGATT, riding within your abilities and staying away from busy roads decreases your chances of being hurt or killed on a motorcycle.

Any data can be manipulated to show what ever you want. But several things are very clear to me in what I've seen while riding. 1. Not wearing gear will increase you chance of dying or being seriously injured in an accident and most cruiser riders don't wear proper gear. 2. Driving in more populated areas with greater traffic increases you chance of being hit by another driver no matter who is at fault. 3. Exceeding your abilities while riding on the road or in the dirt increases your chance of having an accident. So given these factors ATGATT, riding within your abilities and staying away from busy roads decreases your chances of being hurt or killed on a motorcycle.

Agreed

Here's another great example :) As you can plainly see, the less we import lemons from Mexico the safer we'll be!

64uqp.jpg

Actually, It says the more we import lemons from Mexico the safer we will be. The fatality rate is going down as the tonnage goes up. Good thing you are in marketing and not statistics! :lol:

Edited by Tonik