Winter storing the right way f.a.q.

drumbtzz

awesome thanks

yea the battery tender jr i can pretty much get anywhere...roush is like 20 min from me its the stands that are goin to hit me anywhere but the IP im sure

If you just want something cheap Iron Pony has those BVP stands for $49 by the parts counter. I can't tell you how many of those things we have sold when I was there, not bad for use every once in awhile.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you just want something cheap Iron Pony has those BVP stands for $49 by the parts counter. I can't tell you how many of those things we have sold when I was there, not bad for use every once in awhile.

well i want something cheap that'll keep for at least 2 years mainly just thru the winter..i havent began lookin at stands in person but i can gauge what will last for a while pretty good...i was more-or-less lookin for brands to look into though so thanks, ill definately check them out

well i want something cheap that'll keep for at least 2 years mainly just thru the winter..i havent began lookin at stands in person but i can gauge what will last for a while pretty good...i was more-or-less lookin for brands to look into though so thanks, ill definately check them out

BVP will be your cheapest option, after that there would be Lockhart Phillips or DMP's. I had DMP's before my pit-bull stands and never had any problem with them. Your looking at almost double the price though.

BVP will be your cheapest option, after that there would be Lockhart Phillips or DMP's. I had DMP's before my pit-bull stands and never had any problem with them. Your looking at almost double the price though.

you dont have any of those other stands better than bvp layin around you wanta get rid of for cheap do ya? :D

money is tight for me so i plan to start getting whatever i can afford starting now before its too late...also if anyone has any of these things (stands, trickle chargers, etc.) that im going to need for sale send me a pm...otherwise im probably just going to keep makin runs to iron pony :)

SAMBUSA has the blow. He might have the hookers too. Depends if they're in season.

Talking about gasoline here amigo.

:confused: The article is about gasoline....

I store my bike like Casper as well. I fill the tank, change oil/filter, add Stabil, lube it, put a cover over the muffler, and put the bike up on rear and front stands. After that it gets covered up so I don't have to see it all winter and get depressed that winter is here. This year I'll throw the battery on a battery tender as well.

Edited by Pedro

:confused: The article is about gasoline....

I store my bike like Casper as well. I fill the tank, add Stabil, lube it, put a sock over the muffler, and put the bike up on rear and front stands. This year I'll throw the battery on a battery tender as well.

Wow. I swear when I clicked on it the first time it came up with something about tires on the ground. I haven't done drugs in a while. Maybe I need to start again.
http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_protect_equipment_clean/

Now I realize the article is talking about grounds keeping... but i would think the same principles would apply

So, my comments pt 2: "When conditions require you to store your power equipment for 90 days or longer, add a fuel stabilizer." So it agrees? I don't have the patience to read that whole thing right now. I'll read it all later.

:lol:

Fresh oil filter,full tank of gas with seafoam added, on stands and covered up. Uncover an fire up EVERY sunday! 4 winters and still on the OE battery with NO charger.

This reminds me of 2 things that are very important for your last ride of the season and any time you get your bike out during the off season:

1: Don't run the bike unless it's going to get up to running temperature. If you do, water vapor from the exhaust can condense and puddle in the exhaust system, causing rust. A hot bike's exhaust will evaporate this water.

2: It takes 15 minutes of riding not idling to recharge the energy used to start a bike. So if you want to maintain your battery by running the bike, you better be planning on riding it. Leaving it sit for 3 months straight is better for the battery than just starting it for a couple minutes a week.

There should be recommendations in your owners manual.

To each his own on this topic.

yea i know...i just figured many ppl have been thru the storing process and could give me a few pointers...i would have never thought to spray wd40 into my muffler to prevent rust or even plug the end to keep bugs and shit out so already this thread has been worth starting

yea i know...i just figured many ppl have been thru the storing process and could give me a few pointers...i would have never thought to spray wd40 into my muffler to prevent rust or even plug the end to keep bugs and shit out so already this thread has been worth starting

No reason for the WD40 if your bike is hot when you shut it off.

unless you park it in an excessively wet environment that is.

well the heater in the garage is connected to the thermostat for the family room, and the heat is turned low/off at night so the garage will constantly be warming and cooling so moisture/condensation will be a issue for me unfortunately...

If it makes you feel better, by all means squirt some of that in your pipe, I think that it just has a placebo effect. Get it good and dry and stuff a sock in it and you'd be set.

My checklist:

- clean and lube the bike

- put the bikes on stands or on carpet

- put Sta-bil in full tank of gas, let run for 5-10 mins

- pull the battery, put it on battery tender

- put cloth or plug in exhaust (keep out insects/mice/etc)

- put plastic bag over airbox (keep out insects/mice/etc)

Most of the stuff Likwid posted would be more applicable for Spring in my opinion.

+1 you dont need stands. my bike sits in my basement every winter on concrete and my tires have zero problems(besides being worn).

Tell that to my car's summer tires once it drops below 35 degrees...

It's like riding a damn log wagon.

Some performance tires WILL indeed develop a 'flat spot' if let sit for a decent length of time (can happen over 1-2 days, depending on the tire). Its not the flat spot like old bias tires would get, but still it does happen to an extent. any tire made with the compound named ARAMID (basically kevlar strands) will develop a slight flat spot. once the tires are warmed up, its goes away.

I am unsure if any MC tires have Aramid in them. i know its becoming more commonplace in auto tires, as the aramid is light, yet sturdy and predictable.

I for one can vouch for this as well. I had BFG G-Force's on my old car. it was the worst feeling ever, for 5 minutes (give or take) each morning i drove the car (multiple vehicles, didnt always drive that one).