Mac vs. PC....computers geeks needed!!!

PrincessPratt

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XP pro worked great for me on several machines since it came out. I do know that many issues blamed on windows is 3rd party, but I have yet to be able to point a finger at a program for the current Vista issue I'm having on the wife's machine.

• 4 weeks later...
vista doesn't work well with older hardware. I think that was it's biggest downfall. I suspect windows 7 will be no different. so I expect to hear all the complainers with 10 year old computers trying to use windows 7 and bitching about it not working too great

wife's machine is barely a year old and is Win 7 "ready".

Has anyone upgraded to win 7 and have comments on how the install went? Did you do a clean install or just an upgrade? Were there any problems or any data lost or corrupted?

Seriously considering upgrading to Win 7 on the wife's machine, but want to know the pitfalls before I begin.

If your wife's machine is running any edition of Vista, then you can upgrade to 7. If it's running XP (or earlier), a clean install is "required" (there are ways around this, but this is the short answer).

I upgraded two machines from Vista to 7 without any problems whatsoever. Are they faster? Maybe, but not that I can tell. Prettier? Not so much.

As I've said before, "if it ain't broke, don't break it", as in "if your wife's machine is fine now, there's no real compelling reason to upgrade it".

If you want to upgrade to 7, the best way would be to do a clean install on a new hard drive (disk is cheap, 1TB < $100). No risk of lost data.

My $0.02 worth.

jblosser: thanks for the insight. Wife's laptop is less than a year old, running Vista (home edition), and she's been having ongoing issues w/Vista just randomly disconnecting her from our router (only on her Vista laptop, my garage laptop w/XP pro and the MAC have zero issues w/losing the network).

I would prefer a clean install on a new hard drive, but that is just a bit of a pain in the arse with a Dell laptop.

7200 rpm, 16MB cache, 160GB laptop drive is < $60 (larger/smaller will cost more/less, obviously.)

Any laptop drive EXCEPT the 640GB drive from Western Digital will (should) fit (the WD is too tall - standard is 9.5mm).

A SATA/ide to USB adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156017 $20) will make hooking up the old drive easy to grab all of her "stuff", then get an enclosure and turn the old drive into portable storage...