Mac vs. PC....computers geeks needed!!!

PrincessPratt

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She doesn't need to buy either one. She said she has had it for four years, that she's not tech savy and that she only really needs it for internet use. I really don't see her doing any real hardcore photo/video editing so, she doesn't need top-of-the-line. I've told her many times that if she would like that I can reformat her laptop and install a fresh copy of XP on it and she would be good to go without payin' a crap load.

Well I told you I would be getting a nicer camera with a very large lens soon! Sucka! AND you never come over til later and I'm tired and don't want to fool with the lap top then while you play on my PS3 AND i still can't find my software the computer came with!

Thank you everyone for your comments. It looks like this is a very hot topic. I'm not as "dumb" as some of you think on the computer but not as savvy as most of you that commented are. ;)

if you want to right click you just use two fingers when you click on something instead of one and it will give you the right click options you're use to seeing with windows. Or you can hold down the control key and click with one finger if you wanna do it the hard way

Ive only ever seen a Mac that has a mouse with only one button on it... a little round one in the middle.

Ill take your word for it though.

I just dont like them... gimmicky little things they are...no thanks. hell, I dont even like my ipod..lol.

Those extra possitions for the key on your bikes ignition must really get under your skin then :lol:

Sorry Dave, had to take the cheap shot there. :)

im not following your logic... extra key positions? you mean on/off/acc? Thats three...kinda like my PC mouse...well it has 4 functions actually... right click, left click, scroll and the scroll wheel tilts for side scrolling... I was saying that the Mac mouse doesnt do enough.

im not following your logic... extra key positions? you mean on/off/acc? Thats three...kinda like my PC mouse...well it has 4 functions actually... right click, left click, scroll and the scroll wheel tilts for side scrolling... I was saying that the Mac mouse doesnt do enough.

Yep, I failed. :( Reading to fast I got your point backwords. +1 rep for you. ;)

:lol: You say you don't like Mac because of their inferior mouse and inability to right click. I show you the most awesomest mouse evar!! and you respond with this?? :lol: You are killing me' date=' Smalls.[/quote']

that is the most ballinest mouse ever...Ill give you that.

but im no Emo. LOL.

i dont really think maddox is that funny, but he may be onto something here:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

One thing PC users can do that Mac users cant: SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Ever notice how most Mac users are skinny? It's because of all the calories they burn because they can't shut the fuck up about how great their Macs are. What is it about Apple that makes its users unable to shut their mouths? Everywhere I go, there's another asshole with a Mac preaching about how much better Macs are than PCs. They regurgitate lines directly from Apple's marketing campaign, like "it just works." I have the following rebuttals to this argument:

1. If everything on a Mac just works, then why does a website called "Mac fix it" exist, assholes? Here are a few choice topics on macfixitforums.com:

-Login window stuck!

-lower caSe "S" key not working!!

-Menu bar keeps flashing

-I can't drag and drop!

Waaaah, boo hoo! I can't drag and drop! Dumbass. Looks like your Macs aren't perfect after all, which leads me to my second point:

2. Fuck you.

I don't know why Mac users get so defensive when you call them idiots. I mean, Apple is a company that has built its entire user base around the fact that its users can't do simple things like turn their computers on. Hell, most Mac users can't even talk without using their hands, which ranks their intelligence somewhere between a simian and hog shit:

Stupid user base aside, I will never own a Mac. It's not so much that I'm a PC loyalist. I'm not. It's that I'm not stylish enough to own one. Most iPod commercials feature guys with long hair, chicks roller skating, and guys wearing fedoras. I have dandruff, and I buy most of my jeans from a grocery store. I feel like in order to have a Mac, I need to be:

# An artist.

# In a band.

# Unemployed (see above).

After the recent Apple conference, Mac fans were elated. One person was quoted as saying "I've had a Macintosh now for a total of 35 days, and I'm really excited to be part of the Mac community." Part of the Mac community? It's a computer, not a social movement, asshole! I feel like Apple is not just selling computers, they're selling a way of life, and I'm not ready to be that heavily invested in a product.

This is incorrect. The Macbook Air can fuck off. It's the worst design I've ever seen. At least compare them equally. A standard MacBook like the one in my link. I'll change this comparo for you.

lets compare:

macbook white v. dell XPS 13

price:

the cheapest 1330 is 950 bucks.

the cheapest MB is 929 bucks.

mac 1 dell 0

screen:

both 13.3"

tie

processor:

mac: 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

dell: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

mac 2 dell 0

optical drive:

mac: DVD +/- RW

dell: DVD +/- RW

tie

memory:

mac: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM

dell: 3GB DDR2 SDRAM

mac 2 dell 1

HDD:

mac: 160GB (5400RPM) SATA

dell: 260GB (7200RPM) SATA

mac 2 dell 2

graphics:

mac: nvida 9400M

dell: nvida 9400M

tie

weight:

mac: 5.1 lb

dell: 4.85 lb

mac 2 dell 3

height:

mac: 1.1 in

dell: 2.31cm – 3.38cm

mac 2 dell 3

battery life:

mac: 5h

dell: 3h

mac 3 dell 3

So it's a throw up. Mac is better with multimedia IMO though.

http://macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook/product~dpno~7829324~pdp.ffcaahb

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Macbook Pro.......with best buy credit card...18 months same as cash....

Thats just a nod to how expensive Macs are...

Ill just pay cash for my PC parts ($400) and have something that will trounce a Mac in everything but perhaps video editing.

a lot of people assume (not saying you in particular) that getting into graphics, 3d, photo, editing you have to own a mac.

Well....yeah. It's nice when you're Mac doesn't crash while running a graphics intensive process and you get ahead of it. Adobe Photo Suite is a big program :D

Well....yeah. It's nice when you're Mac doesn't crash while running a graphics intensive process and you get ahead of it. Adobe Photo Suite is a big program :D

i own a mac and i can't tell you how many times adobe has crashed on me. i had to put a little post-it next to my screen that says 'command + S'

Buying a Mac is like buying a Harley, Your not buying a computer your buying a lifestyle. i-Sheep bahhhhhh, bahhhhhh

I had to laugh, A pharmacy tech bought a mac from the Apple store, Her total purchase price was $2000 something dollars. It came with a year of support and classes, which she was impressed with. She went to the mac courses and hung out with the rest of the mac groupies. She was talking up how easy it was to use. I asked her how much training she received with her purchase........12 hours. My reply was Nice, now how much formal training did she have on Winblows, her response was NONE. I follow up with " do you think if you had 12 hours of training in Winblows you would be more proficient. " She gave me you just hate mac's.

My point is for the amount she spent on the Mac you could replace the PC 3 times for the same amount of performance. A little training goes a long way irregardless of what you buy.

I view computers merely as tools. If you have a snap on budget buy it if it is harbor freight that is ok too.

I disagree with the Mac reliability statements. They fail just as much as PC's

I do agree with the statement they relative immunity to current versions of viruses. That can and will change.

I do agree that the architecture is solid, but that is changing with the entrance of more board and peripheral manufactures.

Upfront cost I laugh at your estimates.

Antivirus Free Avast

Officesuite free Open Office

I like open office better than Microsoft office. It will open any file and save it in any file format....out standing. Did I say free. Avast is fantastic too.

Edited by Lost
Cost info

This is incorrect. The Macbook Air can fuck off. It's the worst design I've ever seen. At least compare them equally. A standard MacBook like the one in my link. I'll change this comparo for you.

where is the macbook for 929? on the apple site its listed as 999.

you can get a base dell inspiron 13 for 819, 3GB memory, 320 GB HDD, it doesnt have the Nvida card, so thats a plus for the mac i guess. the battery on both are 55whr.

the guy wants to do word processing, internet surfing, and minor picture editing (read: tech dumb = no professional editing), and there's this many ppl suggesting he buy a $1000+ Mac to accomplish this? You could do everything you just said you wanna do with a Netbook for $250.