So I bought a Power Commander, now what?

jagr

So I picked up a used PCIII for my Z. The guy I bought it from has the same set up as me. Stock air filter and a shortened exhaust. (-4in). He said he would leave the map on for me as he has had it tuned.

Question.

So can I just plug this thing in and run with it? And yes I will be having Brian @ Dynotune doing it. But for now could I have any issues? Never dealt with one before. Also what is the 9volt do? As it doesn't have a battery attached.

No manual just a CD and the unit.

Thanks peeps.

Yes, you should be able to run with it as-is if the setups are similar. Having a custom map to your bike helps, but it'll be enough to get you where you want to go.

The 9-volt batt is if you want to play with the PC3 without the bike being on. If you have the bike on and the kill-switch disengaged (ready to ride), the PC3 will be powered by the battery. Hit the killswitch and the PC3 will shut off unless the battery is there.

not sure how the install will be on the Z, but the install on my 600rr was a biatch. mostly, cause the idiot who had it before me decided to tear off the TPS plug and we had to figure out which wire was coming out of the TPS to the ECU.

besides any install difficulties (you're not a tard like me, so i'm sure it'll go just fine), you can proceed one of several ways.

1. Install the PCIII, turn your bike key to on (might not have to start... but then again, you might have to). and you should be good to go, as long as that other guy left the map on there.

2. if you want to mess around with the map, plug a 9V battery in, then plug the PCIII with USB cable into your computer. Load up the CD (might want to update, if there is one), and load whatever map you want. this would be pre-install, unless you're using a laptop, in which case you just install it on to your bike, then plug it into the computer USB port.

Connection of the PC3 really isn't bad at all. If the guy left the map on there you shouldn't have any issues at all. Figure out where you are going to mount it. Make the connections, mount the unit. Once it's mounted and connected, you can turn the bike to run without starting it and if you want to verify the map is still there you can connect a laptop using a usb cable. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull a copy of the map off the PC3 and keep it on your laptop or burn it to CD.

If the previous owner had the same setup, you shouldn't have any issues running it with the current map. Getting a dyno tune may or may not be worth it. Each bike will have small differences between them, but it may not be that much. take it for a test run and see how she does.

Good luck and grats on the purchase.

Thanks for the info. I figured I needed this as I get abit of decel popping and not the best MPG. Plus a tad mo' Power can't hurt.

I won a free tune at the Meet N greet.

Thanks again to Isaacs Pappa.

Brian I'll be setting something up.

Thanks again fellers.

Thanks for the info. I figured I needed this as I get abit of decel popping and not the best MPG. Plus a tad mo' Power can't hurt.

I won a free tune at the Meet N greet.

Thanks again to Isaacs Pappa.

Brian I'll be setting something up.

Thanks again fellers.

There are also lots of maps you vcan download for your setup. That's what I used to do with my Busa's

Thanks IP. I owe you a taint rub. ;)

wheezle. Huh?

I put a new tail plastic on if that's what you're talking about. It's good now.

Max. WITH the bee tail and FI, I still can't outride you so it's all good brudda.

So how much does it cost to get tuned anyway? I've been looking for a PC for my bike recently and am trying to budget how much this will cost me total bill. Kreator thinks I should get a new exhaust on my bike too....maybe b/f doing the tuning? If I do all this stuff I really need to push myself next season so I can actually use the extra HP instead of riding like a sissy all the time fearing me going down. :D

So how much does it cost to get tuned anyway? I've been looking for a PC for my bike recently and am trying to budget how much this will cost me total bill. Kreator thinks I should get a new exhaust on my bike too....maybe b/f doing the tuning? If I do all this stuff I really need to push myself next season so I can actually use the extra HP instead of riding like a sissy all the time fearing me going down. :D
Pratt, the 3 extra hp from a PC is not worth it if you're not even using the 100+ you've already got. Just imho.
Sara has a bike??? Didn't know that.

I wondered why they haven't made you a mod yet. ;)

If she rode it any less she'd be an admin!
If she didn't have a bike she would already be a MOD.

Step 1: buy power commander

Step 2: ????????

Step 3: More power

:funnyshit:

cut-741950.jpg

Pratt,

If you are debating on buying a new exhaust, do that before buying a PC and having a tune done. In most cases you do not need a PC when adding an exhaust. However if you mess with the air flow that's when the PC (or other a/f module) is needed. So to recap.

1. buy new exhaust

2. install said exhaust

3. purchase PC, or other fuel processor module.

4. install module

5. get tune completed.

The PC runs around $250 - $350 depending on bike and where it is purchased.

The dyno tune is usually around $300.00 again more or less expensive depending on where is is done.

The PC usually will increase HP and fuel mileage, and just make the bike run a little better.

There are maps you can download from power commanders website, you can also find them on exhaust websites. However, there are slight variances between bikes and if you are going to spend the money on a power commander then you might as well spend the extra money to have it tuned to your specific bike and setup.