51 members have voted

1. 1. did the cops do the right thing

• I do agree with what the cops did
    • I dont agree with what the cops did

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can understand both sides of this discussion. I have too things I would like to say about all of the comments made.

1. Unless you, have the training or have been in the situation I do not feel you have the right to say the cop was 100% wrong.

2. I would also like to point out that we were not watching the raw footage. That video was edited and what you are seeing is tainted by the person or persons that pieced together the different feeds. The video could easily be cut to take whatever point of view the editor wanted. It seems like people should take more time in throwing the blame by watching a low quality video that may or may not represent the entire event.

there is no fight or flight in a situation with lights and sirens, law says you cant run from those........... i see what you are saying, dont get me wrong, but if a cop is chasing someone and they are law abiding there is no reason to yourself, public, or cops in that situation. but at no point should you fear the police or have to run if you have nothing to hide. i dunno, i know its over and done with and nobody (you or i even) could even say how we would exactly act in that situation.

Agreed. But I ran from the cops for as little as no Ins. on my bike. BTW got away.

That's not to say I'd ever WANT to be a cop, because they're underpaid for the level of stress and bullshit they have to deal with, but that I'm capable.

This of course includes bashing from the public for doing everything 100% wrong.

And chasing a car does not give a cop the right to shoot the driver. fleeing does not put the cop in danger, chasing does.... had the claim of trying to ram the cop been legit.... I'd have been for the cop........ it was BS though......... end of story....

Ok, so because the cop initially called it in as an attempted ram, the whole thing needs to be the cops fault? I understand that chasing a car doesnt give the right to shoot the person but putting your life in danger does. The Sgt who was on the hood, his life was in danger when the person hit the gas while he was in front of the car... end of story.

Edited by alab32

3) Not to get on a high horse, but there are more than a few people on this forum alone that are capable of being an officer, but an officer wouldn't necessarily be able to perform their jobs. As in, there are people physically and mentally capable of passing everything necessary to be a cop, but many cops don't have the requirements or skills necessary to do a lot of the other private sector jobs. In my case, not that my job is particularly difficult, but you have to have the educational background - that's a requirement. That's not to say I'd ever WANT to be a cop, because they're underpaid for the level of stress and bullshit they have to deal with, but that I'm capable.

As i am positive there are MANY jobs out there you are not qualified for. What does that make you? Less capable than the people that do that job? I know TONS of people who are extremely smart but have ZERO common sense so they would be horrible as cops.

At exactly 3:40 the cop climbs on the hood of the stopped car at exactly 3:42 the car starts to roll..............

The car is rolling and he is still on all 4's on the hood. I think you are hearing another noise thinking that it is gunshots but it isnt (unless its from someone other than the guy on the hood which makes that person stupid) and the vehicle is definitely in motion with the officer on top of it on all 4's. Sorry it took so long to reply to this i was able to watch it to verify.

The car is rolling and he is still on all 4's on the hood. I think you are hearing another noise thinking that it is gunshots but it isnt (unless its from someone other than the guy on the hood which makes that person stupid) and the vehicle is definitely in motion with the officer on top of it on all 4's. Sorry it took so long to reply to this i was able to watch it to verify.

I cant see this, it still seems 100% obvious as I stated before.

I saw this mentioned a couple times and figured I'd address it. I don't know if people know this, but a 9 mm round is not going to "stop" a car by firing towards the motor. This isn't hollywood.

Also did anyone bother to read those news stories? The police have arrested this guy multiple times in the past and he had a long criminal record of drug trafficking. This wasn't some guy just running because he didn't have insurance and the police knew this when they were trying to pull him over.

As i am positive there are MANY jobs out there you are not qualified for. What does that make you? Less capable than the people that do that job? I know TONS of people who are extremely smart but have ZERO common sense so they would be horrible as cops.

I completely agree - there are many jobs I'm not qualified for, could I qualify for them with the proper educational credentials? Some yes, some no. I could've went to school to be a lawyer or doctor but those fields don't interest me as much as the field I'm in. That's all speculation though (and I'm sure part of it is ego on my part that I think I would be capable).

Regardless, we're talking about being a cop here. I KNOW I meet all the physical and mental criteria to be a cop (at least per the Elyria PD applicant requirements), common sense or not those application tests don't test for common sense, they test to make sure you're not completely crazy.

My point is that the bar to enter a career as an officer isn't set very high, so you're not going to attract the 'cream of the crop' members of society to do that job. I'm not saying that all officers are idiots, I'm just stating the fact that it only requires a HS education (or equivalent). And when you compare that to all other jobs in which people have to make life/death judgment calls (doctors, judges, etc)... the guys wielding pistols, batons, handcuffs, and Tasers require the least amount of education.

You don't have to have a 4 year degree to possess the critical thinking skills and problem solving necessary to be an officer, but once again, it seems that I run into more unreasonable cops than reasonable ones. Power tripping, inferiority complex, or whatever their excuse is... and I think that's an issue that should be addressed.

Pay cops more, require a 4 year college education, and you won't have some of these 'cowboys' out there that think they need to be heroes to make up for something they weren't able to accomplish in their lives.

I saw this mentioned a couple times and figured I'd address it. I don't know if people know this, but a 9 mm round is not going to "stop" a car by firing towards the motor. This isn't hollywood.

Also did anyone bother to read those news stories? The police have arrested this guy multiple times in the past and he had a long criminal record of drug trafficking. This wasn't some guy just running because he didn't have insurance and the police knew this when they were trying to pull him over.

As i can not guarantee that the officers knew this guy was a criminal, i can assume they had an idea. Although that has no bearing on what takes place in the video. An officer should not take past behavior into account on the current case. You need to be mindful or it, but it doesnt control what you do.

Each situation is dependent on itself. That being said, with everything clear in his, the assailant, past the officers still did everything correctly. In my opinion, the opinion of the court and also the rule of law.

I completely agree - there are many jobs I'm not qualified for, could I qualify for them with the proper educational credentials? Some yes, some no. I could've went to school to be a lawyer or doctor but those fields don't interest me as much as the field I'm in. That's all speculation though (and I'm sure part of it is ego on my part that I think I would be capable).

Regardless, we're talking about being a cop here. I KNOW I meet all the physical and mental criteria to be a cop (at least per the Elyria PD applicant requirements), common sense or not those application tests don't test for common sense, they test to make sure you're not completely crazy.

My point is that the bar to enter a career as an officer isn't set very high, so you're not going to attract the 'cream of the crop' members of society to do that job. I'm not saying that all officers are idiots, I'm just stating the fact that it only requires a HS education (or equivalent). And when you compare that to all other jobs in which people have to make life/death judgment calls (doctors, judges, etc)... the guys wielding pistols, batons, handcuffs, and Tasers require the least amount of education.

You don't have to have a 4 year degree to possess the critical thinking skills and problem solving necessary to be an officer, but once again, it seems that I run into more unreasonable cops than reasonable ones. Power tripping, inferiority complex, or whatever their excuse is... and I think that's an issue that should be addressed.

Pay cops more, require a 4 year college education, and you won't have some of these 'cowboys' out there that think they need to be heroes to make up for something they weren't able to accomplish in their lives.

I agree with some of this. There are many departments that agree as well seeing as how a lot of, most of the bigger and better funded (Centerville, or Kettering for example) departments are going to at a minimum an associates degree or 4+ years military experience. There are also a lot of depts that require a bachelors degree as well.

I know me for instance, can qualify for many different jobs, and have, but choose not to take them. Same reason as you i guess, they just dont interest me as much. Cest la vie.

someone is starting to sound like a certain Vmax owner from OR past......

I think i recall you referring to this individual before. What is that I am doing to sound like this person ('cause i have no idea who said individual is) so as not to "bother" you anymore.

Or maybe do some extra bothering :D

You dont bother me bubby. You just seem overly interested in making sure everyone agrees with you on this subject.

Its not gonna happen.

Glad to hear it!:banana: Thanks!

Not even sarcasm BTW.

I am a very strong willed, semi... no... really argumentative person when it is something i believe in. I always try not to get into these debates but i just cant help my self. When i believe in something i fight to the death. ha ha

Edited by alab32
Because you added more... sheesh...

Each situation is dependent on itself. That being said, with everything clear in his, the assailant, past the officers still did everything correctly. In my opinion, the opinion of the court and also the rule of law.

Well at least the cop got his day in court to plead his case and justify his actions, to bad the dead car thief didn't get the same luxury.

Even if he did, and was convicted of grand theft auto, fleeing, AND attempted murder, at least he'd just be in prison, not dead. Think about that.

^--- I like the idea, but YOU should have to shoot them, not delegate an officer to do it for you.

It should be like a Hockey fight, mano a mano with the cops refereeing. Face your accuser with your .40 and your fists of fury.

If the perp gets too out of line the cops can stop the fight and book him, because it would just be sad to have your shit taken AND get your ass whooped by the guy who took them.

^--- I like the idea, but YOU should have to shoot them, not delegate an officer to do it for you.

It should be like a Hockey fight, mano a mano with the cops refereeing. Face your accuser with your .40 and your fists of fury.

If the perp gets too out of line the cops can stop the fight and book him, because it would just be sad to have your shit taken AND get your ass whooped by the guy who took them.

Yeah' date=' the police just show up to take pics of the perp and put that white outline around his dead body. I would never expect the police to stop someone from stealing my car. Individual protection is not their job and I don't want someone stealing my thundar!! If the bad guy is gonna' get shot I want it to be by my hand. Fuck those cops that want to sweep in and get in on my KoolAid.[/quote']

:lol: you guys are funny

I'm with IP, and I think the castle doctrine was a huge step in the right direction

Hey BTW' date=' does anyone know if the family of the driver ever filed a wrongfull death suit agains the police dept? And if they did, what was the result?[/quote']

I found something stating that they did but what i found wasnt anything official. I looked deeper and never found a case in the Ohio system about it. There was also something stating that the passenger filed charges as well but.... same thing. Nothing to show for it. The only thing i found is that the passenger has been arrested multiple times for a few different things.

Well at least the cop got his day in court to plead his case and justify his actions' date=' to bad the dead car thief didn't get the same luxury.

Even if he did, and was convicted of grand theft auto, fleeing, AND attempted murder, at least he'd just be in prison, not dead. Think about that.[/quote']

I dont think its too bad the car thief didnt get that opportunity, he chose his actions (endangering the lives of multiple officers and anyone who may have been in or around the area at the time) and he got what is expected in that situation. Does that suck? Absolutely. I am not condoning shooting car thieves, but i am condoning shooting people who endanger someone elses life unwarrantedly.

Had that cop sat in his car and not took action, that car may have driven away and turned the wrong direction crashing into your wife and killing her with his complete disregard for the public... Think about that.

...Had that cop sat in his car and not took action, that car may have driven away and turned the wrong direction crashing into your wife and killing her with his complete disregard for the public... Think about that.

Naw, my wife would never be in Blue Ash :lol:

Hey, the poll is tied up at 21 a piece!