51 members have voted

1. 1. did the cops do the right thing

• I do agree with what the cops did
    • I dont agree with what the cops did

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mind can never wrap around how people can defend these guys....

Because not everyone agrees that someone needs to die because they made a stupid decision like running from the law, or even raming a cop car with their car. Its not like he tried to "run down" an officer out of this car, he was just trying to get away at the beginning.

...The police officer that "jumped on the hood creating a life threatening situation" appears to be, if you watch the video, the cop that rammed the drivers door. Once the cop car was in the way of the drivers door, its time to go to the passenger side of the vehicle to get the assailant out...

Seems to me maybe the smarter thing to do would have been to stay in the protective environment of your cruiser until another cruiser could have blocked the front and rear of the car, then make your move, no? Or does that make to much sense instead of jumping out in front of and on top of a car that is NOT imobilized. Hmmm.

+ 1000000 alab

Shutup Wheezle. J/K. I guess your allowed to have an opinion too :D

Edited by SWing'R

Because not everyone agrees that someone needs to die because they made a stupid decision like running from the law' date=' or even raming a cop car with their car. Its not like he tried to "run down" an officer out of this car, he was just trying to get away at the beginning.[/quote']

I dont think someone needs to die because of running from a cop. I believe someone needs to die when they risk someone's life needlessly while breaking the law.

Seems to me maybe the smarter thing to do would have been to stay in the protective environment of your cruiser until another cruiser could have blocked the front and rear of the car' date=' then make your move, no? Or does that make to much sense instead of jumping out in front of and on top of a car that is NOT imobilized. Hmmm.[/quote']

The smartest thing to do is end it when you have the chance. You cant always wait for someone to come help you. Cops are trained to react to situations on their on as well as in a group. His best option was to make contact as fast as he could with the suspect. Had he sat there and waited the chase could have lasted MUCH longer. Who knows? One thing we all know is that the suspect would have continued resisting and running as long as he/she could. Thats why he did what he did, which was exactly what he should have.

The victim was making a U turn and tried to avoid the cop and the cop immediately said the guy tried to ram him........ Its obvious he was just looking for confrontation and found it with a guy fleeing....... thats right..... fleeing not ramming or threatening. (takes big bad man to pop a few rounds into a guy trying leave the scene) :nono:

I agree it was a cop on an adrenalin fueled power trip........ looked like he had been just looking for the chance to put on his cape and be the "super hero"

Granted the guy should have stopped.... no question..... was it worth taking or losing a life......... NO

I can only hope that this guy at some point understands what his rush to glory and pats on the back by his fellow officers has cost this man and his family. I also hope it weighs a heavy, crushing burden on his soul.... knowing he killed a defenseless man strapped in a seat just to feel the rush.....

But I've had this arguement on here before and know that half the people will worship this idiot and dream about being being just like him. Well, until their 16 year old goes out and tries his first beer, and some asshole tries to give him a speeding ticket and the boy gets scared and runs cause he's thinking how pissed his dads gonna be when he finds out.......... thats when the superman wannabe attitude will change into something less juvenile than hero worship.

I believe in self defense, I believe in deadly force when warranted. I carry a gun to back those words up. I DO NOT believe in murder of a defenseless man.

I'll not argue this one. I said what I feel....... thats enough.......

Edited by Rod38um

Cant the freeking cop just unload his gun on the motor? Wouldnt that stop this chase? We cant even shoot a intruder in our homes because we may go to jail. Just because this cop(human)has a badge and is stopping a fleeying car its ok for him to kill? I thought we had judges and jurys to decide this. Cop made the wrong move PERIOD. I may have done the same thing in his shoes,but he was in the wrong.

...Just because this cop(human)has a badge and is stopping a fleeying car its ok for him to kill? I thought we had judges and jurys to decide this...

That was kinda my point earlier. The cop seemed to have "Judge Dredd" syndrome,

acting like judge, jury and executioner all in one on the spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM

Edited by SWing'R

I still say bad decisions by the police dept.
The victim was making a U turn and tried to avoid the cop and the cop immediately said the guy tried to ram him........ Its obvious he was just looking for confrontation and found it with a guy fleeing....... thats right..... fleeing not ramming or threatening. (takes big bad man to pop a few rounds into a guy trying leave the scene) :nono:

I agree it was a cop on an adrenalin fueled power trip........ looked like he had been just looking for the chance to put on his cape and be the "super hero"

Granted the guy should have stopped.... no question..... was it worth taking or losing a life......... NO

I can only hope that this guy at some point understands what his rush to glory and pats on the back by his fellow officers has cost this man and his family. I also hope it weighs a heavy' date=' crushing burden on his soul.... knowing he killed a defenseless man strapped in a seat just to feel the rush.....

But I've had this arguement on here before and know that half the people will worship this idiot and dream about being being just like him. Well, until their 16 year old goes out and tries his first beer, and some asshole tries to give him a speeding ticket and the boy gets scared and runs cause he's thinking how pissed his dads gonna be when he finds out.......... thats when the superman wannabe attitude will change into something less juvenile than hero worship.

I believe in self defense, I believe in deadly force when warranted. I carry a gun to back those words up. I DO NOT believe in murder of a defenseless man.

I'll not argue this one. I said what I feel....... thats enough.......[/quote']

I have to agree with these 2. In what bit of police training did it say that it was a good idea to jump on the hood of a moving car, not knowing if the guy inside had a weapon or not. The cop put himself in an extremely defenseless position by doing that. The guy in the car, if armed, could have easily blown him off the hood before the cop could have gotten off a shot. At least then he would have deserved to be pumped full of lead from 2 feet away. :nono:

It seems a little extreme for a traffic stop.

The victim was making a U turn and tried to avoid the cop and the cop immediately said the guy tried to ram him........ Its obvious he was just looking for confrontation and found it with a guy fleeing....... thats right..... fleeing not ramming or threatening.

So, he says ramming instead of fleeing, which he rammed multiple times after that which is what the [shooting] cop judged some of his actions off of, so instantly he is looking for confrontation. If I recall correctly, i cant re-watch the video right now because I am at work, the lights were on already before the person fled so it wasnt just a "u turn" that the "victim" (???) was doing.

(takes big bad man to pop a few rounds into a guy trying leave the scene) I agree it was a cop on an adrenalin fueled power trip........ looked like he had been just looking for the chance to put on his cape and be the "super hero"

I can only hope that this guy at some point understands what his rush to glory and pats on the back by his fellow officers has cost this man and his family. I also hope it weighs a heavy, crushing burden on his soul.... knowing he killed a defenseless man strapped in a seat just to feel the rush.....

But I've had this argument on here before and know that half the people will worship this idiot and dream about being being just like him. Well, until their 16 year old goes out and tries his first beer, and some asshole tries to give him a speeding ticket and the boy gets scared and runs cause he's thinking how pissed his dads gonna be when he finds out.......... thats when the superman wannabe attitude will change into something less juvenile than hero worship.

I'll not argue this one. I said what I feel....... thats enough.......

As for the rest of this... If my 16 y/o is stupid enough to run from the cops when I have taught him to do everything but, and he decides to act like an idiot and try to ram cop cars and run cops down then... sadly the cops will do what they have to do. Will i be mad? Absolutely I will but no matter what, the cop did what he had to do.

I have to agree with these 2. In what bit of police training did it say that it was a good idea to jump on the hood of a moving car, not knowing if the guy inside had a weapon or not. The cop put himself in an extremely defenseless position by doing that. The guy in the car, if armed, could have easily blown him off the hood before the cop could have gotten off a shot. At least then he would have deserved to be pumped full of lead from 2 feet away.

It seems a little extreme for a traffic stop.

You will never know if a person has a weapon or not. What bit of police training does it say that you should sit there and wait to see if they show a weapon? What bit of police training does it say that you dont shoot when faced with a life threatening situation? What bit of police training says that you shouldnt attempt to get to the other side of the vehicle, which the cop appeared to be doing going across the hood until the vehicle went back into motion, and make contact with the assailant?

This wasnt a "routine traffic stop." This was a person fleeing from the cops who we then find out stole the car. So now we have grand theft auto and fleeing. Not a normal traffic stop.

Cant the freeking cop just unload his gun on the motor? Wouldnt that stop this chase? We cant even shoot a intruder in our homes because we may go to jail. Just because this cop(human)has a badge and is stopping a fleeying car its ok for him to kill? I thought we had judges and jurys to decide this. Cop made the wrong move PERIOD. I may have done the same thing in his shoes,but he was in the wrong.

No, the cop cant unload his mag into the engine. More than likely, the bullets would barely make it TO then engine let alone go into it and disable it. He probably had .40 hollow points which will not pierce an engine block.

You also CAN shoot an intruder in your homes. June of last year they passed the Castle Doctrine which completely allows you to do this.

The badge is not what gives him the "ok" to shoot the assailant, its the fact that his, and the other officers', lives were in danger that gives him the right to shoot him. Judges and juries are used to convict or exonerate the people that go to court. You cant get to court if you are stupid enough to put someones life in danger. Why, because thats an easy way to get killed which is what happened here.

Do i want people to get killed? No. Do i think people should get killed if they threaten someones life? Yes.

Edited by alab32

For all you arm chair quarterbacks out there, here's the news story to what really happened. See if your still concerned about this losers "rights" after you read the article.

http://www.wcpo.com/mostpopular/story/Officers-Hurt-Suspect-Shot-Killed-After-Blue-Ash/4kkOS7yiQkeuz3V7s3LwLQ.cspx

A suspect is dead and two Blue Ash police officers were injured after a high speed police chase ended in a police-involved shooting early Tuesday morning.

The suspect has been identified as Charles Wayne Bennett, 37, of Blue Ash.

Officers said they were forced to fire upon Bennett, who was unarmed, because he reportedly tried to run them down -- not once, but twice.

The incident started just before 12:30 a.m., on Cornell Road near Sycamore High School, when the black Chevrolet Bennett was driving was spotted driving suspiciously, police said.

When officers tried to pull the car over, they said Bennett turned his car around and drove back toward their cruiser, almost hitting it.

Officers tried to get him to stop, but instead Bennett led them on a chase of several miles through Blue Ash, at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour.

As Bennett's car approached Reed Hartman Highway at Glendale Milford, he was seen driving left of the center line and without his headlights on.

The car then slammed into a Blue Ash cruiser at Reed Hartman and Cooper Road.

As two officers approached the stopped car, they said Bennett accelerated towards one of them.

Both officers fired into the car in response. At that point, Bennett reportedly took off again.

Just 200 feet away along Reed Hartman Highway, Bennett hit another Blue Ash police car.

A third officer was struck by the car as it lunged forward.

He was slammed onto the car's roof and then fired additional shots into the car to get it to stop.

The chase finally ended near the intersection of Reed Hartman Highway and Cooper Road in Blue Ash, after the driver crashed into a Blue Ash cruiser.

Blue Ash Police Captain James Schaffer explained what happened next, "Further down the road at Reed Hartman, the suspect crashed into a second police car. Then the car lunged at several officers as they tried to approach, and more shots were fired."

Bennett was shot by police and was taken to Bethesda North Hospital in Montgomery where he died.

There are numerous bullet holes in the suspect's car, which police said was reported stolen out of Clermont County.

Two Blue Ash Police officers suffered minor injuries. One was taken to the hospital and released, while the other refused treatment.

Police said the suspect had, what they refer to as, "an extensive criminal record."

Bennett's passenger was injured by flying glass and was taken to the hospital, where he was treated and released. He is not being charged.

The three officers who shot at the stolen car have been placed on paid administrative leave while the pursuit and shooting investigation continues.

Bennett is well known among Blue Ash Police for charges of drug trafficking.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/14010731/detail.html

BLUE ASH, Ohio -- Daryl Black said all he wanted was a ride to the store. What he got instead was the wildest ride of his life.

Already, he's having nightmares.

"I thought I was a goner," Black said.

Black was riding with Charles Bennett when Blue Ash police tried to pull Bennett over for erratic driving near Sycamore High School.

Instead, Bennett made a run for it.

Wednesday night, Black watched the dashcam video from the Blue Ash cruisers that chased Bennett early Tuesday morning.

"What I am thinking here is, 'Get me out of this car … you're going to kill us," he said.

Black said he didn't know that the car was stolen. He said that he tried to grab the wheel, but couldn't.

Black said Bennett never said a word during the entire chase.

Eventually, after being hit by police cruisers at least twice, Bennett's car stopped and an officer jumped on the hood of the car, firing through the windshield.

"I thought I was a dead man, you know? I thought he was going to shoot me when he was up on that thing. I kept on saying 'No, no, no, don't shoot!" Black said.

Bennett died at Bethesda North Hospital, but Black was unharmed and police quickly determined he was an innocent bystander.

"Going through a chase and then watching an officer shoot several shots in a window, when you think the next bullet is for you, it's unreal," Black said.

The three officers who fired shots during the pursuit are on administrative leave.

Blue Ash policy permits deadly force if a suspect uses a vehicle as deadly weapon, and officers said Bennett tried to run them down.

A preliminary investigation show that officers followed department procedure, and authorities said conclusive findings would be released at the conclusion of two investigations.

This is the latest "update" i can find.

Exactly why its a bad idea to jump onto the hood of the car and put yourself in a defenseless position. Not very smart, unless you're the hero type, and Blue Ash aint Hollywood.

So that means its a bad idea to to knock on a door, do a traffic stop, walk through wal-mart. Thats a risk that a cop takes but that doesnt mean that a cop should just sit there and take every single little precaution possible. He did what he had to do. Plain and simple.

He did what he had to do. Plain and simple.

He murdered an unarmed car theif, plain and simple. These cops lives were never "really" in jeopardy.

They could have just rammed the shit out of this guys car instead of unloading on the driver like they did.

Whether this incident was "justified" by department policy or not does not make it morally right in the eyes of the general public.

The passenger is damn lucky to be alive.

Think I'm done with this one, you can see that everyone has their own point of view on this one and is not going to change their minds.

To each their own. And, make sure you stop for the cops in Blue Ash :o

Eventually, after being hit by police cruisers at least twice, Bennett's car stopped and an officer jumped on the hood of the car, firing through the windshield.

I saw the same thing as the passenger. Hit twice...stopped.....killed.....

I saw the same thing as the passenger. Hit twice...stopped.....killed.....

Hit twice, stopped, then drove again at the officer, then killed. You missed a VERY important step in there.

I want you guys to look closely, and i mean closely at the video. I literally had the screen a few inches away from my face to get a good picture of what happened. The officer didnt actually jump on the hood first. He was going around the front of the vehicle, which is visible by looking at the headlights of the monte, when the driver hit the gas resulting in the officer being forced to get on the hood, or be ran over. This is CLEARLY deadly force and the same was required to be returned by the officer.

These cops lives were never "really" in jeopardy.

So next time a car' date=' that has been running from the cops recklessly, hits the gas while you are in front of, or on, the vehicle, you tell me if you feel your life is in danger.

They could have just rammed the shit out of this guys car instead of unloading on the driver like they did.

It looks to me they did ram the car and the assailant STILL wanted to hit the gas and keep resisting. If they would have rammed too hard and killed one or the other, than you would be complaining that they could have done something else. Cops are never right. I understand.

He murdered an unarmed car theif' date=' plain and simple. [/quote']

car = deadly weapon once used like he used it. when you have a deadly weapon, you're armed.

These cops lives were never "really" in jeopardy.

are we watching the same video? :wtf:

again' date=' are we watching the same video? they did ram him quite a few times! :confused:

The passenger is damn lucky to be alive.

:plus1:

So next time a car, that has been running from the cops recklessly, hits the gas while you are in front of, or on, the vehicle, you tell me if you feel your life is in danger.

:plus1: :plus1:

It looks to me they did ram the car and the assailant STILL wanted to hit the gas and keep resisting. If they would have rammed too hard and killed one or the other, than you would be complaining that they could have done something else. Cops are never right. I understand.

:plus1:

The only other comment I'll make here in this thread is to suggest that someone (I don't know how)

create a second thread with a POLL and reference this thread and the video.

For the poll quesiton make it something like...

Do you agree with the decision by police to end this chase the way they did.

Or something like that.

I'd be curious to see the poll results.

The first article points out a very important detail, the first time they had contact with the suspect he tried to run them down. At that point they were authorized to use deadly force, on the hood of a car or not. The actual shooting was the third time they had contact. Sorry, but I'm definitely with the coppers this time