2010 Trip - Glacier National Park, Montana

Earache

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 7 sounds wicked awesome!!!

Might suck balls ,too. Yellowstonme can have some of the worst traffic ever for a National Park. Especially in the summer. But we might get lucky, ya never know.

Didn't list it, but Mount Rushmore is in there as well - located near Deadwood, SD. it ain't all that, but kindacool to see if you've never been there before. Best view is the drive by and skip the pay parking area.

Might suck balls ,too. Yellowstonme can have some of the worst traffic ever for a National Park. Especially in the summer. But we might get lucky, ya never know.

Didn't list it, but Mount Rushmore is in there as well - located near Deadwood, SD. it ain't all that, but kindacool to see if you've never been there before. Best view is the drive by and skip the pay parking area.

this is true, but the day I learned the grand Teton mountain range was named after womens breast was the day I pu it on my bucket list of the places I wanted to go. :D

Several great places to eat within a block or so walk. My favorite was Red's Wine and Blues...

IMG_5196Large.jpg

Shitloads of good imports and big hunks of burnt meat for chow...

IMG_5197Large.jpg

IMG_5199Large.jpg

IMG_5200Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested if it's no later than July or Early August and if a guy on a Harley is welcome.

I might have to bring up the rear.....but I'd catch up on the gas stops.....

I've been wanting to get up that way for a while. Still, I'd have to get a pass from the little woman.

Do you ride the e-ways or SR's?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm interested if it's no later than July or Early August and if a guy on a Harley is welcome.

I might have to bring up the rear.....but I'd catch up on the gas stops.....

I've been wanting to get up that way for a while. Still, I'd have to get a pass from the little woman.

Do you ride the e-ways or SR's?

Call me Mr. Timely, but I just saw this.... sorry for the late reply.

I suppose a HD / cruiser could do this ride, but seriously doubt you'll be catching up at the fuel stops. Maybe at night at the hotels.

Speeds are usually in the 80-85 mph area with fuel stops every 175 miles or so. If no one else goes with me, fuel stops will be every 300 miles.

But no matter, I can give you a daily route sheet with the hotel stops and you can catch up whenever you catch up. Might be 2-3 others that wanna go at a slower pace as well.

Highways are a necessary evil to cover the midwest in a hurry. Doing two lane roads across Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming would be torture and best avoided.

Call me Mr. Timely, but I just saw this.... sorry for the late reply.

I suppose a HD / cruiser could do this ride, but seriously doubt you'll be catching up at the fuel stops. Maybe at night at the hotels.

Speeds are usually in the 80-85 mph area with fuel stops every 175 miles or so. If no one else goes with me, fuel stops will be every 300 miles.

But no matter, I can give you a daily route sheet with the hotel stops and you can catch up whenever you catch up. Might be 2-3 others that wanna go at a slower pace as well.

Highways are a necessary evil to cover the midwest in a hurry. Doing two lane roads across Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming would be torture and best avoided.

roflmao, I get 100 miles between fill ups :)

roflmao, I get 100 miles between fill ups :)

Wow - you'd take an extra day just to get there!

Might have to look into a fuel cell to bolt to the bike.

In a few spots, it's well over 100 miles between gas stations.

And from what I hear, there's a guy on here who can make killer fuel cells for bikes. ;)

I have a vacuum petcock, would I be able to put a fuel cell lower than my carb? I know with gravity petcocks you have to put them on a luggage rack.

Where could you put one lower than your carbs???

carb

and my saddlebag.

My ideal solution is something that can easily be thrown into my saddlebag when I know I'm going to be traveling or have limited access to gas stations. Someone suggested I look at a small 1L fuel bottle, but a half galon fuel cell might be nice, but even then, half a gallon only adds 20 miles to my range, so not really worth it.

Edited by Likwid

There's shitloads of ready made cells you can buy. But most are an odd shape.

I could make ya one to fit inside of your saddlebag if ya wanted. But it would have to be bolted directly to the frame somehow. Just not safe to have one bouncing all over the place in a saddlebag.

I've seen a lot of HD's with 2-3 gallon plastic gas cnas strapped to their luggage. Not very safe either, but certainly a cheap solution.

80 miles range is a joke for a bike. Can't believe they make bikes like that.

I think the Sportser 883 with a peanut tank has a bout a 70 mile range as well. You;d have to fill it every time you rode across town on those things.

Anyway, a spare or larger tank would definitely be needed to do this ride.

Well...I've got 6 gallons in the tank and while my mileage won't be as good as yours, I routinely go 200 miles between fuel stops and that's mixed driving. Since the RK has a touring bike suspension, expressway isn't a comfort or speed problem, just a scenic problem from my point of view. Besides, I wouldn't go on the trip just for the speed, I have plenty of time and do that locally. Keep me in the loop anyway. I haven't ruled this one out.

• 1 month later...