A question about sport bikes.....

Whitey1

.....I have noticed alot of sport bike riders using the rear wheel stand more often then ever. Is this the new craze and everyone has to have one to be cool? I can see where they would be helpful while working on the bike but other than that why use it as a regular day to day stand? Is it just poser cool to sit the bike on the stand so it looks more like a race bike? I know alot of people do track days, but why use them as a normal day to day stand?

Serious question btw, I'm not trying to start a pissing match.

when I used one with my cbr, it made it easier to lube the chain, pop it in nuetral and lube away. It made it easier to work on, and i used it because i couldnt could not get ahold of the european models center stand. The triumph has a center stand and I love it.

Please dont do that dude. Bad juju happens that way.

Uh what? He's not talking about doing it with the engine running. At least I hope not.

If thats the case cool. i just see bloody white sticks in my head when i hear people say that.

sounds like you're trying to start a pissing match

I use it when I need the rear tire off the ground.

Seriously I am not. I am sure that the stands are perhaps cheaper and more common now for the average person to find. I have been around bikes my whole life and just in the last year have noticed that this is a more familiar trend.

As far as ease of storage and fitting more bikes, I dont see how that would work out as well. Correct me if I am wrong but you have to be behind the bike to set the stand up/down where as you can push a bike back on its side stand by holding on to the the bars/clipons.

Just curious. I have a bike lift for working on my bike and lubing the chain but I dont use it very often. I can see where an under frame lift would be difficult with alot of fairings so the stands look like a great idea. My point was made after flipping though an auto trader and seeing that half the sport bikes were on stands in the pics. Just seemed strange so I thought I would ask.

carry on...

Store the bike on them during winter (keeps tires off of cold concrete).

Great for cleaning/waxing the bike (don't have to get as low to compensate for the bike leaning on the sidestand).

Ease in cleaning/lubing the chain...

Also good for oil changes

My avatar pic was taken after I finished 2 of the activities above.

Talking about tire blow outs in another thread. Those front and rear stands let you easily inspect your tires before you ride. Something we're supposed to do every time we go out and ride. Yeah, most of us don't inspect our tires that often. So those stands are valuable. They can make life easy.

Besides, I get really tired of moving the bike one foot, lube the chain, repeat.

I do have a center stand, I don't put it on the bike unless doing something like remove the tire.

The Ducs stay on a rear stand in the garage mostly because they take up less square footage that way. Between the 2 street bikes' date=' 2 scooters and 3 dirt bikes (plus any customer bikes) this is the easiest way to save space.

+1 on the chain cleaning. I am a freak about my chains. They get cleaned and lubed prolly more than necessary, but they don't look like shit. I hate seeing a bike with chain grease all over the swingarm and rear wheel. It just looks like garbage.[/quote']

Any recommendations on chain lube that doesn't sling like a motherfucker? I'm a nut for keeping things lubed, but I'm tired of scraping chain lube off the rear half of the bike after the first ride.

Thanks for the input. I guess it is probable that alot of the pics I see or bikes sitting out are just being detailed and lubed. I wasnt aware that the bike could be moved once on the stand. Having not been up close to one before, they look less stable then the sidestand but I guess not.